You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton & Manchester United to wear black armbands in semi final

ottawa_lfc

tonight i have just come in rather intoxicated after young yossi's belting winner over fulham, but this thread has cheered me up more infact. Personally i really appreciate the fact that a thing is being made for the 96. Especially against our two fiercest rivals. Hats off to United and Everton. They aren't completed made out of bitter dick heads!

I like them wearing armbands. I don't like a minutes applause - there is no way I can justify a minutes applause. They went to a match, they didn't just die at a match, they were MURDERED at a match by an organisation that just wanted to pick up a paycheck. If the FA thought there might be booing, don't hold it. Simple as. I think every club other the the mancs would honour the silence. You can criticise the Mancs all you want for it, but its just part of a cycle of hate which goes on between the two clubs. I have no respect for George Best as a person, but there is no way that you embarass our club and boo a minutes silence.

The only reason "applauses" happen now is to drown out the booing from the complete and utter cunts.

Applauses are fine if you are celebrating the life of someone who has had a long life and done a lot.

Applauses are NEVER good for 96 people, some of who didn't even get to start a proper life. It is a solemn thing, one which should be respected with quiet reflection, there is absolutely nothing to applaud. If they can't trust the fans to observe a minutes silence for what was a terrible tragedy, then they should not even bother trying to do anything of the sort.

I would rather see the FA and the 4 semi finalists make a donation to the HJC anyway. That would surely be better than any token gesture they can come up with.

On the subject of Utd players singing that song:

Last September Oliver Kay wrote a piece for the Times objecting to what he saw as the increasingly aggressive and abusive nature of songs sung at football grounds. Strangely, he took as his starting point our fans singing "2-0 to the murderers" at Goodison. When a lot of Liverpool fans objected to this on the website on the not unreasonable grounds that this chant was a response to abuse hurled our way, Kay wrote a follow-up piece clarifying his points, which as far as I'm aware only appeared on the website. He was at pains to stress that he found all abusive songs objectionable, and, in passing, made a brief reference to unnamed United players singing "we won it 3 times" as they celebrated on the pitch in Moscow. Needless to say, the comments section rapidly began to fill with people (including myself) asking for further details, like names, and asking why this had never been reported before. Within two hours, while the article remained, the section mentioning United's players had been deleted, as had all reader comments referring to it.

It's difficult to avoid being paranoid about the media if you're a Liverpool fan, but it's also difficult to avoid the following conclusions:

1) British journalists knew what the United fans were singing - surely Kay wasn't the only one?

2) They chose not to mention it.

3) When one of them did, 4 months later, it was immediately censored.

Any guesses as to what the reaction would have been if the captain and Carra had been singing about Munich inside the Ataturk?

Here's a link to Kay's altered article (I'd recommend not reading the comments section if you don't want your blood pressure going through the roof on a lovely spring morning):

TheGame - Times Online - WBLG: Merseyside vitriol: Oliver Kay responds

Here's a link to a rawk thread which has the text of the original article and highlights the differences:

Oliver Kay responds (Merseyside Vitriol part III)

(Sorry - don't know how to post articles)

Back to permalurkage now - sorry to butt in but the thought that some of the players who behaved like that in Moscow will be wearing black armbands and keeping their heads down in fake sympathy makes me feel a little ill.

I agree with the original post but fuck me, doesn't this show how low football fans in general have fallen, that we should be relieved/surprised that opposing clubs are making a relatively straightforward gesture of respect for people who've died - died!

It's only a game, sometimes it feels like it's fucking Palestine and Israel, totally bizarre.

I agree with the original post but fuck me, doesn't this show how low football fans in general have fallen, that we should be relieved/surprised that opposing clubs are making a relatively straightforward gesture of respect for people who've died - died!

It's only a game, sometimes it feels like it's fucking Palestine and Israel, totally bizarre.

I was only thinking something along these lines yesterday.

For the first time in years (maybe 7 years or so) I wore footy shirt outdoors. I was only popping down the shops so couldn't be arsed to change it. In a short 15 minute journey to and back and round the shops I got dirty looks, two references/comments made about it and one lad slapped my back.

I mean wtf? is this normal these days? People assume they have right to pass comment or invade personal space on the basis of wearing a shirt? I don't get it, its a fucking game, albeit one close to my heart, but is there any need.

I was only thinking something along these lines yesterday.

For the first time in years (maybe 7 years or so) I wore footy shirt outdoors. I was only popping down the shops so couldn't be arsed to change it. In a short 15 minute journey to and back and round the shops I got dirty looks, two references/comments made about it and one lad slapped my back.

I mean wtf? is this normal these days? People assume they have right to pass comment or invade personal space on the basis of wearing a shirt? I don't get it, its a fucking game, albeit one close to my heart, but is there any need.

It's bizarre.

I've always loved footy but it is still just a game at the end of the day. It's like when they played Z Cars at Anfield in memory of Rhys Jones and such a big deal was made about it and what a big moment it was, thanks to the club and fans etc, as if they'd played the American anthem in Tehran or something, it wasn't a big deal to me at all, just a nice gesture in memory of a little boy.

I can see the gesture, at some stage, was well-intended, but I wish they hadn't bothered. Some players will do that really juvenile thing of rolling up their sleeves and covering up the armband (no names, no pack drill, but Rooney and Ferdinand have done it on other occasions), and it really doesn't HELP anyone, does it?

[P.S. We've had about a decade of regular black armband tributes, and yet - in this hyper-slick league, where every single detail is planned with great professional attention to detail, Arsenal and a few other clubs still seem to have to go running to find some sticky-black tape at the last minute. Don't they all just have a box of the things in the store room?]

I can see the gesture, at some stage, was well-intended, but I wish they hadn't bothered. Some players will do that really juvenile thing of rolling up their sleeves and covering up the armband (no names, no pack drill, but Rooney and Ferdinand have done it on other occasions), and it really doesn't HELP anyone, does it?

[P.S. We've had about a decade of regular black armband tributes, and yet - in this hyper-slick league, where every single detail is planned with great professional attention to detail, Arsenal and a few other clubs still seem to have to go running to find some sticky-black tape at the last minute. Don't they all just have a box of the things in the store room?]

We had the black sticky tape armband on against Villa.

We had the black sticky tape armband on against Villa.

I know and I don't like it. It seems even odder when we normally don't have the tape. If clubs can find the time to arse around lining up and shaking each other's hands, holding up FA signs and god know's what else I'd have thought they could look more organised than if someone in the tea room had been sent out to Halfords or B&Q at the last minute.

And therein is another problem. The black tape that is used just looks so tacky. You wouldn't turn up to a friends funeral with tape around your arm so why should it be any different on the pitch? If they can't wear proper ones then just don't bother.

Exactly.

I thought that as well. The yellow one we wear in the Champions League is always halway down Stevies arm anytime he moves.

They should tighten them all up then. Or make all captains play with a stupid bit of Blue Peter sticky tape on their arm - that would speed up a solution.

It's bizarre.

I've always loved footy but it is still just a game at the end of the day. It's like when they played Z Cars at Anfield in memory of Rhys Jones and such a big deal was made about it and what a big moment it was, thanks to the club and fans etc, as if they'd played the American anthem in Tehran or something, it wasn't a big deal to me at all, just a nice gesture in memory of a little boy.

Couldn't agree more. I mean Liverpool often dominate both my thoughts and my time, but for fuck's sake, it's ridiculous some of the shit that goes on. I do occasionally wonder about what holes some people have in their home and family lives to carry on the way they do.

Couldn't agree more. I mean Liverpool often dominate both my thoughts and my time, but for fuck's sake, it's ridiculous some of the shit that goes on. I do occasionally wonder about what holes some people have in their home and family lives to carry on the way they do.

You mean thick cunts who batter people for wearing the wrong football shirt?