You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dubai and Liverpool FC

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

The whole business of OOTs is bollox.

When the whole idea of boycotting the replica kit first came up a few months ago, it was the locals parading the kit on SSN.

As an OOT, I sent back the home kit my wife got for my birthday back in Feb and still haven't got the new one. Won't be getting it either until the yank cunts are gone.

Plenty of locals at the LFC store though and walking around in the replica kit on SSN.

Why are you getting all precious about it? Do people read half a post or something? I said day trippers, not OOTers there is a clear line between the two. When I go to to the Premiership games there are usually loads of day trippers and while its been said we should try to educate them, they do not give two fucks in the grand scheme of things other than taking their pictures and going shopping to get their car stickers in their little bags. Not all of them are like that, but the vast majority are.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? The thousands of people who pay good money for flights and tickets aren't going to walk out. Look at all the nob cheeses with their cameras out recording the anti-G+H marches or the idiots with Liverworld bags applauding. And like I said, its lots of STHs. Last season I went in on my mates (who is Irish) ST because he couldn't make the match, first few rows of The Kop and both times about three scouse STHs sat there moaning saying that if its the same boring shit next season, then they'll just stop going but keep their STH "incase it gets good again". When you hear stuff like that, and see stuff then you don't have much faith in people being able to organise a boycott.

That's unfair. I'm an OOT fan and I've been boycotting games ever since G&H took over, and so has my old pa, and my cat.

That article on the back page of the echo was a joke. Nothing new that we didn't know already this afternoon. It's that important that it was the lesser story on the back page to Everton's new record shining. How are people supposed to support anything when it is not even the main headline in the sports section of our local paper?

The only way we'll get to them is if we get proper militant.

We have to target RBS with a picket at their Edinburgh HQ for however long it takes, making loads of noise and just being a general nuisance.

We also have to target Parry and Moores, get a bus load of people down to Davey's house and picket his driveway!

Boycotts and walking out the game wont help in my opinion.

That's unfair. I'm an OOT fan and I've been boycotting games ever since G&H took over, and so has my old pa, and my cat.

Thats fine, you give a shit and you're educated. Day trippers in the vast majority do not, and there are fuck loads of them at every Premiership game outside the club store, in town before hand etc etc. Look at our recent friendly in Norway I think it was, every fucker in there was wearing shit loads of merchandise and I refuse to believe in this day and age they have no clue about the boycott. Simply put, the mass amounts of day trippers won't do a walk out and ruin their holiday, add to this STHs/random who don't give a shit then you can see the problem. I do not think for one second we'd get even the stadium a 1/4 empty for a walk out, people already shout down anti-G+H chants because they think it destroys the players confidence (we're just shit really).

The only way we'll get to them is if we get proper militant.

We have to target RBS with a picket at their Edinburgh HQ for however long it takes, making loads of noise and just being a general nuisance.

We also have to target Parry and Moores, get a bus load of people down to Davey's house and picket his driveway!

Boycotts and walking out the game wont help in my opinion.

This has been talked about, but I don't see what will happen. This will probably be brought up on Saturday, and I'll be interested to see what'll be said. There was lots of talk about pickets of the club shops in town, which is far more effective.

That article on the back page of the echo was a joke. Nothing new that we didn't know already this afternoon. It's that important that it was the lesser story on the back page to Everton's new record shining. How are people supposed to support anything when it is not even the main headline in the sports section of our local paper?

It's better than a kick in the dick mate - the Echo could have chosen to not publish it all in case they upset Bulk and Skull.

Day trippers get a raw deal if you ask me. They have probably single handedly kept the club going for the past ten years or so. The stigma they are getting is all down to sky and the new generation of football fan. If they don't spend the money the club makes no money and then we lose our star players because we can't afford to pay their wages, then we can't get the quality everybody wants in. And this boycott of RBS is ludicrous, do people realise how many pies they have their fingers and do you really believe that the small percentage of liverpool fans have accounts with them. There is enough business for them to handle the hit, it will not bother them as much as it will bother the fans who follow the boycott. There is always somebody in to replace the person that leaves.

people already shout down anti-G+H chants because they think it destroys the players confidence (we're just shit really).

And that's why you should do it at halftime! Or at least do more at the end of matches. I really hope something about this is brought up at the next SOS meeting too. And yeah, I agree with the shouting down thing, as I don't see there being any point why you should cause the players problems with it during an actual match. Could you imagine being 2 points off winning the title or something at the end of the season, and remembering that one of the games where we let in one daft equaliser or something was one where a load of anti H&G chanting was going off during the actual match? I don't think that should ever be worth risking.

Day trippers get a raw deal if you ask me. They have probably single handedly kept the club going for the past ten years or so. The stigma they are getting is all down to sky and the new generation of football fan. If they don't spend the money the club makes no money and then we lose our star players because we can't afford to pay their wages, then we can't get the quality everybody wants in. And this boycott of RBS is ludicrous, do people realise how many pies they have their fingers and do you really believe that the small percentage of liverpool fans have accounts with them. There is enough business for them to handle the hit, it will not bother them as much as it will bother the fans who follow the boycott. There is always somebody in to replace the person that leaves.

Negative publicity. Alienate and ignore a small average customer can snowball.

Negative PR is horrible to get and it does cost a business.

The half time walkout won't work, the gates are opened at 3 quarter time and there is no way the club would sanction the opening of the gates that early due to health and safety reasons. I know this for a fact cos the dude that pushes the button at 3 quarter time to open those gates is my dad, and i've just been talking to him about this and he said not a chance in hell this would happen.

To be honest most fans wouldn't play ball with this anyway, for fucks sake half the 'fans' don't even know when YNWA ends!

Its a great idea but I personally don't think protests or walkouts will budge the yanks at all. The only thing that'll shift them is cold hard cash and the $100million they appear to be holding out for. Its a sad time for LFC but we signed up for thick and thin and i will always love my club, I just hope that sooner rather than later the yanks fuck off and take Rick Parry with them.

I think people need a pat on the back for all their ideas and I respect their attitude, but I just don't think G&H give a fuck, and I don't think their banks give a fuck either. The only thing any of them are arsed about is money, and I mean nine-figure sums. G&H will spend the next year or more tucked up on their ranches or wherever they fucking live and may occasionally tune in to SSN when we've had a game, but that's about it. They just don't care.

We think that it's time to stand up now,

And time for Liverpools board to fuck off,

Leagues and cups are not what it's about,

It's time for Hicks and Gillett to fuck off.

This club is our heart but it's no fun,

Because of their scheming corrupt lying ways,

It's time to get rid of the boardroom scum,

We'll sing this 'till their on their fucking way.

x100

There are many unanswered questions about SoS I have.

What happened the protests and such like?

What impact do you really think Liverpool fans boycotting RBS will have?

What do I get for my subscription into the Union?

What happens when they don't start doing things they say they do or I start to realise that i am not getting what i paid for?

What impact have SoS had at match days, in terms of getting their point across to the fans at the game?

How are SoS educating people about Hicks and Gillete?

How come the aggressive stance towards the owners changed?

What prompted them to have the meeting with Parry (one of the main culprits of our current situation), and how what was the overall feeling from the union members?.

All Good points there and you have hit on some of the concerns I've had since the Cl semi final when it was decided we should not protest at the game and get behind the team. Since then for me SOS has changed dramatically from the first Meeting in the Sandon where the union was born.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the main objective of the union to rid our club of the cancer that is Gillette and Hicks.

It seems to me that the union has lost its main objective and instead providing cheaper travel to away matches for those lucky enough to have access to tickets has taken prominence.

Why has it taken the announcement of the collapsed stadium plans for the union to bring the campaign to oust G+H to the forefront again.

Why are we still waiting for the information of the much publicised meeting with Rick Parry.

Who was in attendance and in what capacity.

How long did the meeting run for.

I honestly don't know if I'll be renewing my membership.

from liverpool echo forum.

Folks,

I have had private correspondence from Oliver Kay - I contacted him at the Times by e-mail today asking him for further clarification, regarding his article on the takeover in today's paper. It seemed simply a re-hash of old news to me, speculative, with little quotes from sources, new material or time-frames attached, etc. So I courteously and politely put this to him. It was good of him to reply. Here it is:

"Robbie

Thanks for your e-mail. I detected a note of frustration in what you wrote and I can understand that. Almost a year after the Dubai link resurfaced, you are clearly looking for hard evidence that something has changed, rather than a reporter simply saying that things are (or appear to be) changing. I understand why you may feel that you are reading the same old things over and again and that nothing ever changes.

BUT ... things are changing. I have it on very good authority (or authorities) that Hicks and Gillett are reaching or, in one case, have reached the point where they know they can't take LFC forward. I know that their financial positions are increasingly parlous, I know that they are coming under growing pressure from the banks and I also now know that they are genuinely unnerved by developments at Manchester City, which is something I merely hinted at yesterday.

Am I in a position to say exactly how this will play out? No. Am I able to say what their next move will be? No. Am I willing to name my sources? Absolutely not, sorry. The Arabs haven't spoken for months; it is not their style. We haven't heard a peep out of the Americans for months, but, significantly, we did not even get the usual and expected Hicks denial today. As for Staveley, she does not talk to the media -- or so I thought until I heard that she had been on BBC radio last night confirming that talks are ongoing etc and that Dubai remain interested "at the right price".

I really can understand you becoming cynical about this takeover saga, particularly after things happened so quickly at Manchester City, but everything I am hearing on this points to Hicks and Gillett reaching breaking point in the coming months (before that January 25 deadline) and selling to Dubai. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I hope I've answered most of your questions and allayed your suspicions that I was merely fantasising ...

All the best -- and fingers crossed it will get sorted out quickly because, believe me, I'm as sick of this as you are ..."

Oli

The half time walkout won't work, the gates are opened at 3 quarter time and there is no way the club would sanction the opening of the gates that early due to health and safety reasons. I know this for a fact cos the dude that pushes the button at 3 quarter time to open those gates is my dad, and i've just been talking to him about this and he said not a chance in hell this would happen.

To be honest most fans wouldn't play ball with this anyway, for fucks sake half the 'fans' don't even know when YNWA ends!

Its a great idea but I personally don't think protests or walkouts will budge the yanks at all. The only thing that'll shift them is cold hard cash and the $100million they appear to be holding out for. Its a sad time for LFC but we signed up for thick and thin and i will always love my club, I just hope that sooner rather than later the yanks fuck off and take Rick Parry with them.

Hmm, so what chance ShareLFC go for a 20% stake, if they could raise 100m could they not launch a joint bid with DIC. DIC don't pay any more, the yanks get their money, while we get fan representation on the board, a PR bonus for DIC. How close are ShareLFC to 100m in pledges ? ShareLFC couldn't possibly raise the money for a new stadium as well as the transfer fees, So evetyone saves face and gets what they want. Am I totally oversimplyfying things ?

from liverpool echo forum.

Folks,

I have had private correspondence from Oliver Kay - I contacted him at the Times by e-mail today asking him for further clarification, regarding his article on the takeover in today's paper. It seemed simply a re-hash of old news to me, speculative, with little quotes from sources, new material or time-frames attached, etc. So I courteously and politely put this to him. It was good of him to reply. Here it is:

"Robbie

Thanks for your e-mail. I detected a note of frustration in what you wrote and I can understand that. Almost a year after the Dubai link resurfaced, you are clearly looking for hard evidence that something has changed, rather than a reporter simply saying that things are (or appear to be) changing. I understand why you may feel that you are reading the same old things over and again and that nothing ever changes.

BUT ... things are changing. I have it on very good authority (or authorities) that Hicks and Gillett are reaching or, in one case, have reached the point where they know they can't take LFC forward. I know that their financial positions are increasingly parlous, I know that they are coming under growing pressure from the banks and I also now know that they are genuinely unnerved by developments at Manchester City, which is something I merely hinted at yesterday.

Am I in a position to say exactly how this will play out? No. Am I able to say what their next move will be? No. Am I willing to name my sources? Absolutely not, sorry. The Arabs haven't spoken for months; it is not their style. We haven't heard a peep out of the Americans for months, but, significantly, we did not even get the usual and expected Hicks denial today. As for Staveley, she does not talk to the media -- or so I thought until I heard that she had been on BBC radio last night confirming that talks are ongoing etc and that Dubai remain interested "at the right price".

I really can understand you becoming cynical about this takeover saga, particularly after things happened so quickly at Manchester City, but everything I am hearing on this points to Hicks and Gillett reaching breaking point in the coming months (before that January 25 deadline) and selling to Dubai. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I hope I've answered most of your questions and allayed your suspicions that I was merely fantasising ...

All the best -- and fingers crossed it will get sorted out quickly because, believe me, I'm as sick of this as you are ..."

Oli

Bloody hell, that was good of him! TBH, I've always thought he was one of the more level headed journos who appear on Sunday Supplement unlike one or two others I could mention.

Bloody hell, that was good of him! TBH, I've always thought he was one of the more level headed journos who appear on Sunday Supplement unlike one or two others I could mention.

But how good is it for the person to put his private e-mail out on different Liverpool forums?

And begging to be saved by yet more people who have never set foot in Liverpool or shown any previous interest in football is what?

That's just a sad fact of the way football in general is moving, and to be honest I don't really know what difference having previous connections to the club would make anyway.

Moores is an avid red, it's the one thing that he's got going for him, but he's led us to ruin, Ashley at the toon is an avid Newcastle fan, but he's a tit.

Nobody knows how the arabs would function here, and I don't doubt that - like the others - they just see the club as an investment, but again, that's just the way football has gone.