You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool v Liege game

sir roger

Reina, Carra and Torres had good games, Plessis and Alonso decent, Agger and Dossena could have done better while the rest where utter shite.

Plessis and Alonso should be the link men in the whole thing and both failed badly tonight as they are both are slow and cumbersome, Alonso's saving grace should be his passing but that seems to be shot as well, Liege played a typical premiership tempo and Xabi just doesn't like that. A bit ominous if you as me . Plessis reminds me a lot of Obi Mikel at Chelsea, a bits and pieces player, and doesn't look anything special. He's young and hopefully he'll blossom into something a bit more

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible performance, but we got a decent result in the end so no harm done. We got opened up too easily and looked very suspect when ever the ball was crossed into the box, and we need to learn to defend crosses and set pieces much better as it will cost us otherwise. We badly missed the bite and energy of Mascherano in midfield and Gerrard's influence in the final third. It is imperative that we sign a quality wide player as we are devoid of creativity in the wide areas.

Do many of the top teams in the prem league actually play with proper widemen who end up with chalk on their boots i think that is a bit of a myth to be honest. Cole, Evra Clichy and co have provided width for their team last season and if Degan or Dossena can provide that on either of the flanks then I'm sure we will improve as a team.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I don't understand why people are saying Keane played out of position. He was a second striker to Berbatov and he always dropped deep and went out wide and ran down the channels. The only difference between his performance tonight and his performances for Spurs is that tonight he couldn't trap a bag of cement. To me he looks nervous as fuck like he's done in pre-season, he just needs to stop trying so hard because it will happen for him because he's a decent player.

As for the rest of the game, well it was shite but it was no worse than the performances in recent years in this game so I'm not too concerned (yet). We need to get at them early on in the return leg and we'll be fine.

One thing that did alarm me however was the fitness of the players, some where obviously fucked early on and it does worry me ahead Saturday's game whether or not they will have recovered in time.

SL were nothing more than a low rank prem team that works there socks off and has a ref that lets you kicks lumps out of the forwards.

Very harsh, considering they played us off the park and beating us by 2 or 3 wouldn't have flattered them

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I don't understand why people are saying Keane played out of position. He was a second striker to Berbatov and he always dropped deep and went out wide and ran down the channels. The only difference between his performance tonight and his performances for Spurs is that tonight he couldn't trap a bag of cement. To me he looks nervous as fuck like he's done in pre-season, he just needs to stop trying so hard because it will happen for him because he's a decent player.

As for the rest of the game, well it was shite but it was no worse than the performances in recent years in this game so I'm not too concerned (yet). We need to get at them early on in the return leg and we'll be fine.

One thing that did alarm me however was the fitness of the players, some where obviously fucked early on and it does worry me ahead Saturday's game whether or not they will have recovered in time.

Repped. It's better to run with the myth than go agaisnt the rumours he played on the left.

I think the people who are having a go at others for pointing out the deficencies, are the ones going overboard myself. Nobody is making judgements or anything, just observing what they have seen so far and then commenting on it. What's wrong with that exactly?

I don't see any point in saying, 'oh well, we'll be better in the second leg'. I'm just not that type of person I suppose - I like to think that people who WE the fans actually pay extortionate wages for would at least perform to their level.

It was never going to be easy tonight and I thought we would be rusty but fucking hell there's a difference between rusty and not being able to control or a pass a ball. It was like watching us under Houllier at times.

Yes there's certain things out of our control, such as the Olympics, injuries etc but we should still have had enough quality on the pitch to perform considerably better than we did. I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing that out and wanting us to be better than that.

I bet if we'd won 5-0 and passed them off the park, the same people would be declaring us as Champions already, which is the irony of it all.

This is a forum where Liverpool fans come to discuss the match. We don't just sit here after every game and say, 'oh well, let's see what happens in the next game and then not comment on that either'.

that's worth reading again. It's a forum. Some will go overboard, some will go overly defensive, and some (like me in this instance) won't read too much into it because it's the start of the season and at least three of that lot won't be starting regularly.

We did actually have some really dodgy matches in the early rounds on European comps in the 70s and 80s. I used to get excited by them, but eventually even I realised they have little effect on the overall season.

winnerDM_468x700.jpg

"Calm down dear it was only a draw"

I would be more concerned if this carried on for another month, yes it was poor, certain players didn't perform, however there is absolutey fuck all to start complaining about after 1 competetive game. I'm sure Rafa will look at it this week, kick some arse and have it sorted for saturday.

Edited by ted tucker

Terrible performance, but we got a decent result in the end so no harm done. We got opened up too easily and looked very suspect when ever the ball was crossed into the box, and we need to learn to defend crosses and set pieces much better as it will cost us otherwise. We badly missed the bite and energy of Mascherano in midfield and Gerrard's influence in the final third. It is imperative that we sign a quality wide player as we are devoid of creativity in the wide areas.

Not really surprised at the result cos its early season etc etc but the performance was really dreadful. Complete lack of any creativity or imagination. Lack of width has become a really serious issue.

winnerDM_468x700.jpg

"Calm down dear it was only a draw"

I would be more concerned if this carried on until december, yes it was poor, certain players didn't perform, however there is absolutey fuck all to start complaining about after 1 competetive game. I'm sure Rafa will look at it this week, kick some arse and have it sorted for saturday.

December? I'd be worried if it carries on for the next month.