You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Section_31

Recently I've had to contend with the moaning of some friends (a cpuple) who're back from China. "Oh China china china, china's our home now, we hate it here, blah blah blah" Then you'll be walking down the street and you'll feel a spot of rain and think 'oh fuck, here we go' "It never rains in China! Blah blah blah shit shit shit."

Okay, go back to China and type Tiananmen square massacre into Google, and see how long it takes for you to have an 'accident' in the street. We'll see how fucking ace China is then, or take a drive out into the country and see how the little people live, fucking western-compound motherfuckers!!!

I always appreciate Britain a little bit more when I come back from a med country. To walk along a street with no gaping holes in it, to not see any downed power lines close to your house, and that ace feeling you get when you arrive at Manchester Airport and notice that (a) the lights are all working and (b) none of the policemen are asleep.

I'll slag Britain off as much as the next man, but if anybody else tries to convince me the fucking Congo has got 'nicer people and better bread' (a real conversation, I shit you not) I'll take my full entitlement of angry pills.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently I've had to contend with the moaning of some friends (a cpuple) who're back from China. "Oh China china china, china's our home now, we hate it here, blah blah blah" Then you'll be walking down the street and you'll feel a spot of rain and think 'oh fuck, here we go' "It never rains in China! Blah blah blah shit shit shit."

Okay, go back to China and type Tiananmen square massacre into Google, and see how long it takes for you to have an 'accident' in the street. We'll see how fucking ace China is then, or take a drive out into the country and see how the little people live, fucking western-compound motherfuckers!!!

I always appreciate Britain a little bit more when I come back from a med country. To walk along a street with no gaping holes in it, to not see any downed power lines close to your house, and that ace feeling you get when you arrive at Manchester Airport and notice that (a) the lights are all working and (b) none of the policemen are asleep.

I'll slag Britain off as much as the next man, but if anybody else tries to convince me the fucking Congo has got 'nicer people and better bread' (a real conversation, I shit you not) I'll take my full entitlement of angry pills.

Sorry Sec, but England is shite.

The lights may be working but theres nothing to see. Sleeping policemen? They wreck my suspension on my car everyday. Everyone lives in squeezed in estates with tiny gardens but pay the price of a mansion to do so. You have to pay for everything, where as most of the places I've gone too, if you see a stream, you can drink that water, if you are hungry you can pick fruit from a tree. Just because China is shite also does not mean I feel any better.

Sorry Sec, but England is shite.

The lights may be working but theres nothing to see. Sleeping policemen? They wreck my suspension on my car everyday. Everyone lives in squeezed in estates with tiny gardens but pay the price of a mansion to do so. You have to pay for everything, where as most of the places I've gone too, if you see a stream, you can drink that water, if you are hungry you can pick fruit from a tree. Just because China is shite also does not mean I feel any better.

I disagree. Yes this place has it's fair share of problems (which country hasn't, incidentally??), but we still have our freedom of speech and expression- there are still many, many countries around the world where speaking your mind results in you disappearing or being killed. I don't think Section31 was trying to allude that Britain is some sort of utopia, a western heaven, I think he was making the point that the very fact that we can all sit here and slag off this country for all of the points you made means that we are a damn sight better off than a lot of places.

I disagree. Yes this place has it's fair share of problems (which country hasn't, incidentally??), but we still have our freedom of speech and expression- there are still many, many countries around the world where speaking your mind results in you disappearing or being killed. I don't think Section31 was trying to allude that Britain is some sort of utopia, a western heaven, I think he was making the point that the very fact that we can all sit here and slag off this country for all of the points you made means that we are a damn sight better off than a lot of places.

You can't really be serious? Freedom of speech and freedom of expression went a long time ago mate. What you have there is a simple mirage my freind.

I've had mates come back from backpacking trips to the likes of Thailand and say: "You just don't realise how shit it is over here until you go travelling!"

What, you mean on a beach? Without the need to work? Methinks there is more to these countries than the parts westerners see when they fuck off to find themselves.

You can't really be serious? Freedom of speech and freedom of expression went a long time ago mate. What you have there is a simple mirage my freind.

Can you give me any examples of this? Because I'm almost certain that I can speak my mind anywhere in this country. Furthermore- we wouldn't magically disappear if we said something untoward.

And what about the right to a trial by a jury of your peers? Again, this is not something that is prevalent in many other countries. You also made the point that everything costs money- it's called Capitalism, it's how the country works. We go through hard patches were everything costs a lot, and then we go through purple patches were everything is hunky dory- but the fact that you can spend your money that you have earned again puts us down as a decent place to live. I've got no doubt in my mind that this country has problems. But I've also no doubt in my mind that there aren't many better places out there.

I don't want to get into this as I don't believe it worth the effort, you're so entrenched that I would have to attack the very foundations that your beliefs stand upon. This would make you unstable and I don't want to create a monster who goes home and bludgeons his family to death.

If you have free speech though, what the frig is libel?

I don't want to get into this as I don't believe it worth the effort, you're so entrenched that I would have to attack the very foundations that your beliefs stand upon. This would make you unstable and I don't want to create a monster who goes home and bludgeons his family to death.

If you have free speech though, what the frig is libel?

Likewise...they are called opinions and each of us is free to have them.

You guys just have an English centric way of looking at the world and therefore can never appreciatte that each country has it's own merits. China has a questionale HR record but where else can you do Tai Chi whilst drinking Tchai Tea for instance, and not look out of place?

A sweeping statement, since you know nothing about me or my views on other countries.

And incidentally you could argue that everybody in the world looks at the world from the perspective of the country they are from.

I'm totally with Section on this, and I've started a good few threads in the past hailing all that is great about this country in the past to support my view.

England is far from perfect, but our imperfections pale in comparisons even to those of some of our nearest neighbours in Europe.

England is ace. Anyone who lives here and disagrees should be prepared to name a country that they would prefer to live in, and then state one good reason why they're not fucking living there.

I'm totally with Section on this, and I've started a good few threads in the past hailing all that is great about this country in the past to support my view.

England is far from perfect, but our imperfections pale in comparisons even to those of some of our nearest neighbours in Europe.

England is ace. Anyone who lives here and disagrees should be prepared to name a country that they would prefer to live in, and then state one good reason why they're not fucking living there.

Spain, Portugal, America, Germany, Holland.

Because I'm skint as fuck and fucking skint. The only thing we have that is better than other countries is the NHS and even then thats fucking shite.

What so good about it then? If you enjoy living here then fine but don't judge a place you've never been to as it isn't fair. Most places are a much of muchness but people such as yourself and Section just cannot adapt to seeing Opel instead of Vauxhall for instance.

I don't know anybody for example that actually enjoys being at Manchester Airport on the way back, I think this is being confused with relief at not being blown to peices on the plane.

Oh yes the NHS will be gone to before long. This country is just an outpost of the US now and we have imported their 'culture' which they don't even have, it's not even in charge of itself.

Generally I hate this country and its inhabitants, but I still count myself very lucky that I was born and raised in what is one of the most advanced nations in the world. It's just unfortunate that these advancements have brought along so many problems with them and turned the majority of our population into wankers.

Because I'm skint as fuck and fucking skint. The only thing we have that is better than other countries is the NHS and even then thats fucking shite.

Spain is largely an arid poverty-stricken shithole and until recently was a dictatorship.

Portugal is the same and is the home of arrogant gay *ballers.

America - less flaws than England? Surely you jest.

Germany - high unemployment, low sense of humour, crap music, and no popular culture of its own worth talking about.

Holland - moustaches are acceptable on men. Too flat. Too boring. Famous for nothing much at all.

Rule Britfuckingtania my good man.

Canada?

Holland is an interesting one, I lived their for four years but the place has changed quite a bit I imagine from the 70s.

Spain and Portugal I assume are for the sunshine. Portugal was a dictatorship until the Cardinal Revolution in the early 70s and hung onto colonial possessions far longer than the other colonizers, who had moved on to neo-colonialism through multinational corporations. I still think there is a disparity in standard of living between POR and UK. Spain is a collective mix of simmering regional tensions although not on par with the seething nationalism that has plagued the Balkans. But there is loads of sunshine.

America is a place where your dreams can come true but if they don't your're fucked working at a WalMArt and a Dunkin Donuts.

What so good about it then? If you enjoy living here then fine but don't judge a place you've never been to as it isn't fair. Most places are a much of muchness but people such as yourself and Section just cannot adapt to seeing Opel instead of Vauxhall for instance.

I don't know anybody for example that actually enjoys being at Manchester Airport on the way back, I think this is being confused with relief at not being blown to peices on the plane.

Oh yes the NHS will be gone to before long. This country is just an outpost of the US now and we have imported their 'culture' which they don't even have, it's not even in charge of itself.

My biggest problem with England is that it is choc full of moaning ingrates who take what we have here too much for granted and label anyone who disagrees with their whinings a little Englander.

I have been to many countries, and I appreciate their diversity, in fact I celebrate it. I've lived abroad, speak a couple of languages and have friends of many different nationalities. I know what's out there, mate, and it is great, but we have it better here.

Well you do make a compelling argument, however I think when you take the US influence from our culture, all you're left with is Colleen and Big Brother. I think the things you laud actually make the very people spoilt to the bone, selfish, isolated. That leaves the history, scenery and the weather to cheer me up, oh no!

What exactly is patriotism anyway? Your proud because of what? The fantastic acheivement of falling out of a pussy within the legal confines of a said land? I only get proud of something I acheive off my own back this is something you should be humble, thankful even but not proud, as then you don't understand the question and should miss a turn.