You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Plot Thickens

bobhorse

The point is not that mate, the point is the almost constant lies of how much we haven't spent compared to our rivals.

But we've got to spend more to get our squad close to the total value of their squad. We were behind (by quite a lot), they were infront. To catch up we need to spend more or be extremely clever with our transfer business.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's all Rick's fault that he sanctioned several shite signings for his last few managers.

"Morientes for £7m? Fuck off Rafa!"

He's not a fucking scout.

Did anyone think signing Morientes, an established international striker, who performed admiringly well for the teams before and after Liverpool, for mere 6.5 mils was a terrible idea? ANYONE?

Some signings just don't work out.

You had a Honda S 2000, your neighbor had a Porche Boxter. You drove your S-2000 around a year, and spent $5000 to repair the wear and tear, also add some improvement. Your neighbor spent $3000 on his boxter for wear and tear.

Does it mean you have a better car because you spent more money than him on the car in the past year? Not in my world.

We were the porsche when Ferguson took over.

You can spin this in a lot of ways.

Did anyone think signing Morientes, an established international striker, who performed admiringly well for the teams before and after Liverpool, for mere 6.5 mils was a terrible idea? ANYONE?

#

Balleuge was pretty vociferous.

I didn't want him, but that's not my point. Blaming Parry for some of the dross signbed by Houllier and Benitez is hardly fair.

Guest TK-421
Where can one purchase these sticks?

Everyone seems to have one apart from me.

Just asking a question, that's all. It gets kind of tiresome when threads go off the rails like this and it was Rashid who mentioned spending £71m or whatever it was.

Agreed. Was a bargain at the time and should have done a lot better. I didn't even think he was that bad and when you look at our strikeforce now we should have kept him.

So? We fucked it up and drove it into the ditch under Msr. Souness' guidance. The current reality is they are the Porche.

They have rebuilt their side in the time that Rafa has been here by signing quality spending roughly the same as us.

Personally I don't think they were that far ahead of us when Rafa began, but thats up for discussion.

All I'm saying is that we've spent at least as much as them by whatever means you choose to judge these things.

For the record, I think quality players aren't the sole reason we aren't challenging.

I didn't want him, but that's not my point. Blaming Parry for some of the dross signbed by Houllier and Benitez is hardly fair.

Who decides the wage rate and contract length then? I thought Rafa has been criticised on here (by Rashid) for trying to get involved with that.

And yes, if someone is constantly fucking up in the transfer market you don't give them a £14M leaving bonus to sign a calcium deficient sprinter.

I'm waiting.

This thread in my hometown forum spells it out.

It does it from 91 to present, its a long read but its as comprehensive a compilation as I have seen, the fella who did it put in a lot of work.

It puts us more or less level with them. Lot of arguing the points from fans of both sides

United - Liverpool net spending in Modern Times - Peoples Republic Of Cork Forums

Start with this past year..

Benayoun £5m

Babel £11.5m

Torres £20m

Mascherano £17m

Leto £1.8m

Insua £1.3m

Itandje £2m

Skrtel £6.5m

Lucas £6m

I work that lot out at £71.1m, we sold Garcia, Cisse, Bellamy, Gonzalez, Palleta, Sissoko for a combined £30m.

Fregie has bought Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves and Kszciak for about £51m plus a £6m loan fee for Carlos Tevez.

They also sold Heinze, Smith, Rossi and Richardson for about £25m.

Start with this past year..

Benayoun £5m

Babel £11.5m

Torres £20m

Mascherano £17m

Leto £1.8m

Insua £1.3m

Itandje £2m

Skrtel £6.5m

Lucas £6m

I work that lot out at £71.1m, we sold Garcia, Cisse, Bellamy, Gonzalez, Palleta, Sissoko for a combined £30m.

Fregie has bought Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves and Kszciak for about £51m plus a £6m loan fee for Carlos Tevez.

They also sold Heinze, Smith, Rossi and Richardson for about £25m.

Just read the thread I linked Rashid, its tedious but everything is there.

This thread in my hometown forum spells it out.

It does it from 91 to present, its a long read but its as comprehensive a compilation as I have seen, the fella who did it put in a lot of work.

It puts us more or less level with them. Lot of arguing the points from fans of both sides

United - Liverpool net spending in Modern Times - Peoples Republic Of Cork Forums

So looking at that, bar one season, they have spent more than us under Rafa not mentioning all the players they've bought in the years before.