You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Family of Rhys Jones and Liverpool FC

rome 84

personally i think a perfectly observed minutes silence would be the most fitting tribute. Relating it to everton devalues it for me. It is a local lad who has been tragically murdered and as such deserves a minutes silence in respect. Whether he is a liverpool fan, everton fan or anything else, a minutes silence is fitting. I think the idea that a minutes applause is required is a damning statement that the silence couldnt be observed, and that appauls me.

black armbands for every player and a minutes silence should speak volumes.

I think its because Everton and the family went with a minutes applause and nothing else.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its because Everton and the family went with a minutes applause and nothing else.

but our relationship to the lad is different to that of the everton fans. showing respect is important, but doing it in a different way to them is perfectly acceptable. Personally i dont like minutes applause unless there is smoething to applaud. This young lad didnt have the chance to acheive anything worthy of applause, not by fault of his own but thems the facts. I think a minutes silence is far more appropriate personally. I dont mind the 'z cars' thing, i can see the thinking, but the applause i dont agree with, whether they did it or not.

but our relationship to the lad is different to that of the everton fans. showing respect is important, but doing it in a different way to them is perfectly acceptable. Personally i dont like minutes applause unless there is smoething to applaud. This young lad didnt have the chance to acheive anything worthy of applause, not by fault of his own but thems the facts. I think a minutes silence is far more appropriate personally. I dont mind the 'z cars' thing, i can see the thinking, but the applause i dont agree with, whether they did it or not.

Well I dont agree with 'z cars' but I do with the applause.

I dont mind either to be honest. The Z cars is obviously a one off, and the applause will also drown out any pricks who decide that they cant keep their views to themselves, at the match.

I understand why there is applause rather than silence put forward, but it is a terribly sad indictment of our inability to show respect of the murder of a child.

I agree with a minutes applause for certain things, george best for one, and i personally think it works because if you want to dissent and not take part you can do so without looking like a nasty spiteful bastard, but this is not a controversial figure that can split opinion, it is a local lad, aged 11 years old, who was murdered on his way home from a kick about, if silence cannot ensue for this cause there is no hope for our society, none at all.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, will there be a minutes applause next april for the hillsborough victims? In my opinion, the correct way to show respect for the loss of life is to be silent and reflect on it, not applaud like seals absent mindedly because everyone else is. I am really unsure of what to do tonight now, as i do want to show my support for the family and show respect for the kid, but i strongly disagree that this is the way to do it.

So anyone that has a view contrary to the way this is done is a prick?

No and neither should they be criticised. Their view is as valid as everyone elses.

All I'd ask of them is to respect the way the club and Rhys family have decided to pay tribute to an 11-year-old Liverpool boy who lost his life in such tragic circumstances.

By all means criticise it but don't do it during the tribute.

And we should also remember that Z Cars is being played because it was Rhys' favourite song, not because it is an Everton song.

I understand why there is applause rather than silence put forward, but it is a terribly sad indictment of our inability to show respect of the murder of a child.

I agree with a minutes applause for certain things, george best for one, and i personally think it works because if you want to dissent and not take part you can do so without looking like a nasty spiteful bastard, but this is not a controversial figure that can split opinion, it is a local lad, aged 11 years old, who was murdered on his way home from a kick about, if silence cannot ensue for this cause there is no hope for our society, none at all.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, will there be a minutes applause next april for the hillsborough victims? In my opinion, the correct way to show respect for the loss of life is to be silent and reflect on it, not applaud like seals absent mindedly because everyone else is. I am really unsure of what to do tonight now, as i do want to show my support for the family and show respect for the kid, but i strongly disagree that this is the way to do it.

Of course its a sad indictment of some people's ability to keep quiet, but unfortunately, even though it may only be one person, it might happen. Remember Goodison 2001? One person shouted "what about heysel" during a minutes silence for Hillsborough, so unfortunately everyone in this city is not as one, no matter what the circumstances. 99.9% may be (myself included), but there is always going to be someone. Dont forget also that some people cant even perform the difficult task of turning their phones off during a minutes silence either.

Totally fitting in my book, I just hope enough people are in early enough not to spoil it in any way shape or form and that the TV does it proper Justice?

Many a tear will be shed tonight in respect to a young boy who is no longer with us.

So anyone that has a view contrary to the way this is done is a prick?

Chris mate, there's no need for that. I was just trying to put a point across, I thought, in a sensible way. I wasnt calling you or anyone else with a different viewpoint a prick. Only those who may not be able to keep silent if there was to be a silence - that would only be a very small minority in any case and I wouldnt dare presume it would be anyone from here.

Chris mate, there's no need for that. I was just trying to put a point across, I thought, in a sensible way. I wasnt calling you or anyone else with a different viewpoint a prick. Only those who may not be able to keep silent if there was to be a silence - that would only be a very small minority in any case and I wouldnt dare presume it would be anyone from here.

I think that was obvious Gaz, and i think Chris was being intentionally confrontational.

If we can bring 5 minutes of joy to a family who are now having to leave the area due to the "memories" then we should do it. Just that 5 minutes is easy for us but would mean the world to them. Life is about many emotions and this has touched so many people's lives in the city.

I still believe though a very large banner of him before the game and black armbands would be fitting.

However the biggest gesture should come from the governemt who should hunt down all guns in this country and make it 5 year jail sentence to carry one as opposed to the current lax laws.

I think rights and wrongs of whatever way respect is shown is secondary to the fact that this is what his family have asked for, and I'm sure we can all put that first whatever we may think.

I dont actually mean to be pedantic, but i thought this was what the club had put to the family and they had said it was a wonderful gesture. The family (to their credit) havent asked for anything as far as i am aware.

If we can bring 5 minutes of joy to a family who are now having to leave the area due to the "memories" then we should do it. Just that 5 minutes is easy for us but would mean the world to them. Life is about many emotions and this has touched so many people's lives in the city.

I still believe though a very large banner of him before the game and black armbands would be fitting.

However the biggest gesture should come from the governemt who should hunt down all guns in this country and make it 5 year jail sentence to carry one as opposed to the current lax laws.

Agree with all of that.

For goodness sake, the kid was Liverpool born and bred, there are probably loads of his mates and family go to Anfield every week. You'd think they should get the opportunity to show some respect. Of course the parents wanted Everton to make some special gesture - fair enough that was his life. But that's not to say he should be ignored elsewhere.

Re the minutes applause thing - I think it's purely for practical reasons - only takes one person to spoil a silence whereas applause can never be damaged. Sad but reasonable I think.

I've taken a few days break from the forum after suggesting the death of a fine young lad had nothing to do with football.

Having seen tonights match and his brave parents turn up at Anfield with the kits and scarfs etc it made me feel quite emotional.

I still feel that if the same emotion that is generated towards a football tribute had been directed towards finding the scum that did this and insuring that it never happens again we would be better off.

Whilst we scoucers are great at out pourings of collective emotion noone has grased these pricks up.