You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maradona or Pele?

Red Mist

Who's the best?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best?

I'm debating with some yanks on some other forum who claim Pele is the best 'soccer' player ever. I've made the bold claim that Pele only has that accolade because it's one the media have given him, while the actual fans of the sport would say Maradona is better. They counter by saying Diego was a druggie and a cheat. Which he was. But should that detract from his greatness? Decide.

I'm debating with some yanks on some other forum who claim Pele is the best 'soccer' player ever. I've made the bold claim that Pele only has that accolade because it's one the media have given him, while the actual fans of the sport would say Maradona is better. They counter by saying Diego was a druggie and a cheat. Which he was. But should that detract from his greatness? Decide.

Americans are used to measuring sporting greatness by statistics rather than skill, so I'm not surprised by what you say. I always used to think Pele was better, but I've had my opinion changed by the strong arguments for Maradona I've read on here in the past. Maradona is my answer.

(By the way, I don't see how the drugs are relevant as they weren't performance enhancing. Why are they mentioning that?)

Americans are used to measuring sporting greatness by statistics rather than skill, so I'm not surprised by what you say. I always used to think Pele was better, but I've had my opinion changed by the strong arguments for Maradona I've read on here in the past. Maradona is my answer.

(By the way, I don't see how the drugs are relevant as they weren't performance enhancing. Why are they mentioning that?)

Because they don't approve of cheats. They like their sporting greats clean, like Jordan, Woods, and Carl Lewis. Oops, scrap the last one...

Because they don't approve of cheats. They like their sporting greats clean, like Jordan, Woods, and Carl Lewis. Oops, scrap the last one...

But that's what I'm saying mate - he didn't cheat by using drugs.

But that's what I'm saying mate - he didn't cheat by using drugs.

I know, he did fail one test in '94 of course but by then his career was over. I doubt he was on anything other than coke during the rest of his career. But you know the drug cheat stigma athletes get, especially in the USA, and that can seriously tarnish the reputations of sportsmen.

Diego may be a cokehead, but Pele is as dumb as the day is long. Maradona on the pitch was simply amazing to watch, although both were a bit before my time so i didn't see much of them. Diego being left footed (like myself) sets him apart ;)

If any american tells you that they like their sports stars clean (performance enhancing clean) tell them to go fuck themselves. Baseball is a fucking joke with steroid and american football isn't far behind. Sammy Sosa and Mark McQuire's home run chase in the late 90's was fueled by steroids. I often question how much you'd find out about the NHL if people cared to look into it more. Landis, the last american Tour De France winner was doped up.

I know, he did fail one test in '94 of course but by then his career was over. I doubt he was on anything other than coke during the rest of his career. But you know the drug cheat stigma athletes get, especially in the USA, and that can seriously tarnish the reputations of sportsmen.

Ah. OK then, tell them this: drugs can't enhance a player's skill and that is what he's revered for.

That doesn't make their argument any more valid though.

Er no he wasn't :no

I don't know to be honest as I've never seen either in the flesh. Only highlight reels unfortunately. It is said though by quite a few people involved in the game around that time that Garrincha was the more talented player of the two. He just lacked the commitment and physique.

Pele was a magnificent player as was Maradona but i think Pele edges it because he had a better all round game for me. Rashid, to say there isn't even a comparison is absolutely ludicrous, have you even watched the films of Pele, he was fucking awesome, what do you think he was? some kind of fucking ale house player?

I have about 8 video's of Pele including many of of the great Brazilian teams, I love Brazilian football. Having seen Maradona too, there is no comparison between him and Pele - different types of players, Maradona could do things e.g. literally win tournaments on his own that no other player in history can do.

People voting for maradona must never has seen Pele. Maradona isnt fit to lick Pele's boots.

Sorry but how someone can say this "Maradona could do things e.g. literally win tournaments on his own that no other player in history can do." and keep a straight face I'll never know!

• Downvote 1