You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Did anyone see "100% British"

DJLJ

on Channel 4 at 8?

2 things which really struck me from the programme.

First I really liked it that these 100% British thinking types all had to take a hard long look at themselves after knowing their ancestry.

Second, I was quite surprised you could determine your ancestry all the way back, i.e. for the last 10000 years just from a DNA sample.

I recently managed to trace mine back to 605,I thought that the side of the family i was looking at was just going to be Welsh and then at a point English when they moved to Liverpool but I got back to 605 which was Norwegians who then moved to France before coming over here with WIlliam the Conquerer to help with the Battle of Hastings and ended up staying.

Its mad,and it proves that there wont be harldy anyone in the whole country who is pure English

Second, I was quite surprised you could determine your ancestry all the way back, i.e. for the last 10000 years just from a DNA sample.

I didn't see the programme, but were they talking about mitochondrial DNA? If so, that kind of DNA is passed down the maternal line essentially unchanged, unlike regular nuclear DNA.

From mitochondrial DNA analysis, scientists have determined that the vast majority of people in Europe are descended from just 7 women (the "Seven Daughters of Eve"). They know roughly where (geographically) each of these women came from.

I didn't see the programme, but were they talking about mitochondrial DNA? If so, that kind of DNA is passed down the maternal line essentially unchanged, unlike regular nuclear DNA.

From mitochondrial DNA analysis, scientists have determined that the vast majority of people in Europe are descended from just 7 women (the "Seven Daughters of Eve"). They know roughly where (geographically) each of these women came from.

They didn't go into specifics, just revolutionary new ways to test your DNA.

They talked about 4 different world sources of people from the DNA.

European, Sub Saharan, East Asian and native American. Then they divided European up into 4 parts, Northern European, South western European, Eastern European and South Eastern European.

They said that your DNA contained small pieces of each of your ancestors, but that each of those small pieces also contains info about that ancestor I didn't know.

They could give percentage, i.e you're 21% European and 79% Native American. Of those 21% you're 45% North European, 55% Eastern European, and you're likely to be from Ukraine.

Those numbers etc. is just taken out of the blue, but it is quite amazing they can pin point you that accurately, just from your DNA.

You are getting mixed up with the Nolan Sisters again

Guest molbyscorchio

4 of them are from the Woodchurch estate. There are some big families on there.

Yeah, I watched it and found it interesting and very amusing.

I especially liked the part where one of the guys was asked by the interviewer what he thought of Ian Wright, who has played for England and clearly loves his country and considers himself an Englishman to which he replied he's not English because "you can't be English if you have black skin." The interviewer then asked him what he constitituted being English and he replied you have to be able to trace your family back twelve generations in England to be English.

Lo and behold when the results come out he's only gone and failed to meet his own standards on being English.

Then when asked about Ian Wright again he starts off trying to explain his previous point of view and then realises trying to put a cut off point as to when you "become English" is such a pointless waste of time and just admits "yes he's English."

Yeah, I watched it and found it interesting and very amusing.

I especially liked the part where one of the guys was asked by the interviewer what he thought of Ian Wright, who has played for England and clearly loves his country and considers himself an Englishman to which he replied he's not English because "you can't be English if you have black skin." The interviewer then asked him what he constitituted being English and he replied you have to be able to trace your family back twelve generations in England to be English.

Lo and behold when the results come out he's only gone and failed to meet his own standards on being English.

Then when asked about Ian Wright again he starts off trying to explain his previous point of view and then realises trying to put a cut off point as to when you "become English" is such a pointless waste of time and just admits "yes he's English."

Got to love racist cunts who constantly try to dress their filthy bigotry up as reasoned thought being exposed as the ignorant fucks they are.