You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

answers needed

robbief

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its possible to class yourselves as English and at the same time not support the national team.

I dont really have a problem with the England team, its more the circus that engulfs everything they do. Put England in a major tournament and it brings out the dregs of society and the media, all masquerading as football fans.

Guest davestan84
I think its possible to class yourselves as English and at the same time not support the national team.

I dont really have a problem with the England team, its more the circus that engulfs everything they do. Put England in a major tournament and it brings out the dregs of society and the media, all masquerading as football fans.

Well said :yes:

I remember in an issue of TLW a few years back (Unfortunately, I can't find it), that had a column talking about "What has England ever done for us?". In regards to Thatcherism and the general opinion of the Government towards Liverpool amongst other things if I remember correctly. At the time, I wasn't too bothered about England, but after reading the article, I couldn't give a fuck.

[Edit - Dave, if you've still got back issues that far let me know!!]

would anybody please tell me why, as liverpool fans, we do not class ourselves as english or british??

obviously we are but why is it that we don't have st. george flags or union jacks?? i'v heard somebody mention it on here but it was only brief.

comments please!!!

mate, there are loads of threads on this in the ol' archive. Do a search around the time of the world cup, plenty of threads/reasons there.

would anybody please tell me why, as liverpool fans, we do not class ourselves as english or british??

obviously we are but why is it that we don't have st. george flags or union jacks?? i'v heard somebody mention it on here but it was only brief.

comments please!!!

Well I'm Irish so thats why I don't class myself as english or british

Thatcher and her ruining of a city is one of many reasons I could go into.

I'd say that is one of the major reasons isn't it. On the football side of things I think Liverpool players getting stick off the southern fans and southern media when playing for England also narked a lot of people. Barnes in particular in my memory.

the trouble i really have is i find it difficult supporting 2 teams - even if they're not im competition with each other. my love of liverpool means i find it impossible to hope the likes of lampard and beckham do well for england - so although i'd like england to win, i'm kinda happy when they don't becuase of those players (like in the world cup).

as for the flags at games, we're not representing england are we - i don't feel we are, despite uefa's views on these things. we're representing liverpool football club and our city. We are rivals to every other side in england, why would we want to unite with them and wave england flags at each other?

the trouble i really have is i find it difficult supporting 2 teams - even if they're not im competition with each other. my love of liverpool means i find it impossible to hope the likes of lampard and beckham do well for england - so although i'd like england to win, i'm kinda happy when they don't becuase of those players (like in the world cup).

as for the flags at games, we're not representing england are we - i don't feel we are, despite uefa's views on these things. we're representing liverpool football club and our city. We are rivals to every other side in england, why would we want to unite with them and wave england flags at each other?

This is probably the main reason for me (although there are others). The thought of jumping up in delight and sharing a moments joy with the likes of Gary Neville makes me physically ill :sick:

Liverpool has never felt like an English city in all honesty, its accent for instance is heavily Irish and Welsh influenced, and many scousers decend from these areas. Added to that the oldest Somalian and Chinese communities in Europe, the fact its a port city, and also the fact that its been effectively abandoned by central government for decades makes it feel like its its own miniature country, looking out for itself because nobody else will.

comments please!!!

The explanation for not having Union Jacks/St George's flags is simple: They look shit.

Next time we're at Cardiff/Wembley, compare our end of the ground with the opponents' end. No contest.

Guest dragonfly

because basically being english or british plays no part in being a liverpool fan.

our club unites people from all over the city and world. the club does not represent the country and neither do we, as fans we represent ourselves.people are more than welcome to bring nationalistic flags to the games, it's a free country but as a liverpool fan the only flag that matters has a liverbird on it.

plus i find providing a substantial amount of unemployed uneducated lads to go fight illegal wars enough support for ones country, don't you?

that about cardiff and comparing the 2 ends, that was shown really well at the comunity shield. a lot of other fans comment that all the flags and banners are a bit unecessary although there have been banners as long as i remember, i seem to recall something about mad eric, i was only around 6 at the time.

that about cardiff and comparing the 2 ends, that was shown really well at the comunity shield. a lot of other fans comment that all the flags and banners are a bit unecessary although there have been banners as long as i remember, i seem to recall something about mad eric, i was only around 6 at the time.

Banners have been in abundance since the 70s possibly earlier. The one about Joey Jones from 77 "Joey Ate The Frogs Legs, Made The Swiss Roll, Now He's Munching Gladbach" is one of my favourites.

Banners have been in abundance since the 70s possibly earlier. The one about Joey Jones from 77 "Joey Ate The Frogs Legs, Made The Swiss Roll, Now He's Munching Gladbach" is one of my favourites.

do the mancs or geordies have the same separatist views on their nationality?

I fucking hate the English football team, don't know why but as far as i'm concerned I just fuckin hate them. To me they are just a team for the fucking gutter cockney press to run. Im getting really pissed off writing this and wound up thinking of reasons so I will have to leave it there as my head is going to explode. Yer can stick yer fucking Ingerlund, stick yer fucking Ingerlund, stick yer fucking Ingerlund up yer arse, sideways. :wallbutt: :wallbutt: :wallbutt:

I fucking hate the English football team, don't know why but as far as i'm concerned I just fuckin hate them. To me they are just a team for the fucking gutter cockney press to run. Im getting really pissed off writing this and wound up thinking of reasons so I will have to leave it there as my head is going to explode. Yer can stick yer fucking Ingerlund, stick yer fucking Ingerlund, stick yer fucking Ingerlund up yer arse, sideways. :wallbutt: :wallbutt: :wallbutt:

Totally agree aboot the gutter press. The likes of Samuel and Woolnough virtually pick the England team and ultimately made sure Mongo got the armband. The bias towards the London clubs is quite sickening.

Does any other country suffer from this?