You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trabelsi, Pennant and Kuyt....

dave u

Why are we signing Trabelsi?

He's a very good player, especially on a free but we don't need a right back which he certainly is. Finnan must be fucking gutted. Josemi, Kromkamp now Trabelsi all in 2 years. Very surprised if he comes here and isn't first choice.

Gutted about the Alves deal, he looks some fucking player.

Ah, but Steve Finnan has continually seen them off. It seems pretty clear to me that Kromkamp is going. And Trabelsi is merely his replacement. I'd be gutted if we weren't signing him though, as I think Kromkamp is a good footballer.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but Steve Finnan has continually seen them off. It seems pretty clear to me that Kromkamp is going. And Trabelsi is merely his replacement. I'd be gutted if we weren't signing him though, as I think Kromkamp is a good footballer.

Yeah but will Trabelsi come here and be a sub? I'd be shocked.

I don't think Finnan offers enough going forward. He's an excellent defender, though. I expect we will swap depending on the attacking threat the opposition pose.

Kronkamp for Trabelsi would be a bigger shock than Pennant for Alves.

A young promising rightback for a rightback who showed his best football a few years ago (could be reasons for that granted) so that we can get 2-3 million?!?

A loner who doesn't fit in wherever he goes. Depends upon which way you see it.

I get what you're saying of course, but at his age, sitting on Liverpool's bench (in my view, on the road at any rate) might not seem too bad an option. He's an established footballer.

I don't think Finnan offers enough going forward.

A touch harsh - he does throw some quality crosses in and links up with Gerrard well. But there are far more attacking fullbacks out there, make no mistake.

Guest Kenny
This is the summer we need to sign the right quality, to make that extra step. If we get it right this summer, then next summer we won't need to go splashing out.

If Rafa really wants Alves and Kuyt then we should go all out to get them. It might cost £20m and with other signings that totals £30m but we can get cash in from sales. A fair few players like Cheyrou are off the wage bill and maybe Cisse on loan, Morientes for 3, Krompkamp probably for 2 or 3 mill and maybe get our money back on Garcia, as if we got Alves and Kuyt then he would lose his place.

If Bennitez has real faith in Pennant then fair enough but if he desperately wants to sign Alves and Kuyt, then this is the summer we should go all out to get them as a striker and a right winger has what's been needed. It was only August we were in for Simao and Owen for them positions and that was £20m we were going to pay but didn't spend. What's happened to that money? What's happened the supposed investment that was imminent?

God knows what's going on financially but this isn't a summer we can't afford to be going for the cheap option all the time. We got a great deal in getting Bellamy cheap and Aurelio and Trabelsi would be two good full backs on a bosman but I just hope the board are backing Benitez.

Nail on the head, we were going to buy Simao and Owen only last August deadline day. Where has the cash gone?

I get what you're saying of course, but at his age, sitting on Liverpool's bench (in my view, on the road at any rate) might not seem too bad an option. He's an established footballer.

Hope he's not coming to sit on the bench, if he signs I want him to push for a starting place not see it as a pay off before retirement.

Don't think there's anything to worry about with that though.

Hope he's not coming to sit on the bench, if he signs I want him to push for a starting place not see it as a pay off before retirement.

Don't think there's anything to worry about with that though.

Not at all, no, I expect him, should the signing come off, to feature quite a lot at Anfield and on the road at relegation fodder.

Guest Kenny

Now Pennant is close to signing from YNWA

Liverpool will soon sign Birmingham City winger Jermaine Pennant after Liverpool and Seville could not agree a deal for Brazilian winger Daniel Alves.

The 23-year old was once a target for former reds manager Gérard Houllier and was set to sign before Gérard left the club.

Rumours of a move to Anfield have been circulating all summer and Birmingham City placed a fee in the region of £5m on his head in the hope of warning off possible suitors. However Birmingham City are believed to owe Liverpool between £1 and £2m from the fee they agreed when Emile Heskey left Anfield to join the Midlands club.

Jermaine has had a rather chequered past and during his days on loan at Birmingham City from Arsenal he was jailed for 3 months after being found guilty of drink driving. He was released after 30 days and played his first few games with an electronic tag attached to his ankle, including an eye-catching performance in a 2-0 win against Liverpool at St. Andrews.

He started his career for Notts County but was soon on his way to London as Arsenal paid £2m for him as soon as he turned 16. He only made a handful of appearances for the Gunners and found himself on loan at Watford – twice, Leeds United and Birmingham City, before the Blues signed him on a permanent basis.

His move to Anfield will give us our second pacy signing in a matter of weeks after Craig Bellamy joined from Blackburn Rovers. Pennant is also a boyhood fan of Liverpool Football Club and will relish the opportunity to wear the Liver Bird.

He has yet to win a full England cap but has 24 Under-21 appearances to his name, only 3 behind the joint record holders Jamie Carragher and Gareth Barry.

The signing is expected to go through very smoothly as Pennant is very keen to join Rafa Benítez at Anfield, so unless there is a massive change of heart from Spain and Seville, Pennant will soon be a Liverpool player.

Nail on the head, we were going to buy Simao and Owen only last August deadline day. Where has the cash gone?

The Simao bid was with the money that had been earmarked for Owen. We were never in for both, and only went for Simao when we knew we werent getting Owen.

Rumours of a move to Anfield have been circulating all summer and Birmingham City placed a fee in the region of £5m on his head in the hope of warning off possible suitors. However Birmingham City are believed to owe Liverpool between £1 and £2m from the fee they agreed when Emile Heskey left Anfield to join the Midlands club.

Interesting. That will reduce the fee I imagine.

Agreed - the inconsiderate bastard has forced us to shuffle our transfer deck of cards.

I can take or leave the situation on the right hand side, it's Kuyt that concerns me a great deal. I know that the World Cup is a bad place to judge players, but you don't need to be playing international football to be able to see if someone's technical ability.

And Kuyt's second touch seems to be a slide tackle or a header. Don't get me wrong, I'll support him if we sign him, but I think there are better options out there. Whether or not they're in our budget is a different matter...

I agree about Kuyt but is anyone decent in our price range anymore?

Guest Kenny
The Simao bid was with the money that had been earmarked for Owen. We were never in for both, and only went for Simao when we knew we werent getting Owen.

Thanks dave,

I'd be happy with Pennant for the simple reason that I'd prefer Gerrard to play on the right with Momo and Alonso in the centre.I don't want to see Momo pushed out of our first choice team while we see if Alves fits in.

I see Pennant primarily as good cover for Gerrard.

Put the money we save into further strengthening up front which was our real weakness last year not RM.

I am writing from my phone. Moores is skint and cant afford the top players. The board aren't clever enough to raise money. The best manager in the business has saved the rear hide of the two chuckle twins in charge. I am happy with Pennant but livid that Rafa has to make do as usual in the 2nd tier. The club is smalltime in its ambition. Thank God for Rafa.

I've sat down and had a think. I don't honestly think there is. Not those who aren't overpriced (Defoe) anyway....

What`s over priced though? Clubs will only sell their top stars for big money and quite rightly so.It just seems that we can never afford any of our first choice options anymore.

Alves's website now saying a deal is agreed baring when the money will be paid (i.e. the installments) -as posted on RAWK minutes ago. If that's true I doubt we'd lose out on ourmain target over when the transfer money is to be paid.

This time of year does my fucking head in.

http://www.danielalves.net

-----------

30 JUNE 2006. ONLY THE MODE OF PAYMENT RESTRAINS THE ALVES SALE

The Liverpool has accepted to invest 15 million euros Culebrón of the summer in Seville does not finish clarifying itself. The exit of Daniel Alves way of Liverpool seems to never take shape. When it seemed all fact I cool off until ends that made be in danger the operation and now it seems that the parts return to approach. The economic amounts follow fixed to the 15 million euros. In particular, the British would pay 13 and the rest would be based on objectives to mark. The hispalense picture wishes to increase the fixed one but it seems complicated that the Reds increases the amount. Now, nevertheless, the great problem is the mode of payment. That point is the one that it has paralyzed the operation. Seville already had assimilated the march of the Brazilian but not anyway. For that reason, in that point they are the negotiations. But it seems clear that any obstacle will be surpassed due to the insistence of Rafa Benítez. The Spanish technician dreams about having to Alves for the position of right interior and all the data that handle on him are magnificent. The trainer has even asked for information mainly the surroundings of the player and their behavior outside game lands and these could not have been more satisfactory. Thus, in addition to the interest by their great game the rest of facets of Alves is united. Thus the operation could be closed at any time. However, it is clear that the British will not increase the amount offered since also they need a new forward after the loss Cissé and the sale from Morientes to the Valencia. At the moment, they yesterday closed without cost some to lateral left the ex- valencianista Fabio Aurelio.