You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (H) - Sun 31st Mar 2024 (2:00pm)

Trumo

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I love the aggression that Bradley adds to the team.

Trent  is far too timid at times.

Huge difference in how active they are defensively. Bradley is happy to get tight and get a foot in, Trent is much more passive and gives players way too much room to look up and decide what to do with the ball.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This team is shortening my life. Klopp did say Rock and Roll football but I didn't expect to look like Keith Richards in his 70s in my 40s.

Ha ha, couldn't have put it any better.

I knew what was coming when Diaz's goal was chalked off but that didn't make it any less difficult to watch. Big win that.

Usual biased Sky commentary - he even tried to make out McAllister had cost some kind of sensational fee, instead of being pretty much a bargain. Quite ludicrous.

Decent performance against a deeply irritating side and a ref who lost it very early on.

• Upvote 1

We miss Trent’s ability to hit the long pass and switch play, we have lost a vital part of our game with him being out.

MacAllister can do it, but not as regularly, it does not help us playing Gomez on the left in that regard either.

Hope Robbo is back for Thursday. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This team is shortening my life. Klopp did say Rock and Roll football but I didn't expect to look like Keith Richards in his 70s in my 40s.

Keith Richards in his 40's looked like Keith Richards in his 70's.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Usual biased Sky commentary - he even tried to make out McAllister had cost some kind of sensational fee, instead of being pretty much a bargain. Quite ludicrous.

Decent performance against a deeply irritating side and a ref who lost it very early on.

I heard that and thought fucking hell. It was comical.

One of those game where the work-rate and commitment are unquestionable, but at the same time we leave enough out there to give the opposition a glimmer, purely because some of that work-rate and commitment plays into the opposition's hands.

Brighton are a difficult side to play against for us, and have been ever since they ditched Chris Hughton and went down the route of playing controlled football and being better than the sum of their parts.

And yet we still managed 30-odd goal attempts (most of which were off-target) and could have had more if only our players had brought their shooting boots. There was a lot of wastefulness with our finishing and the game wasn't nearly as close on the balance of play as the commentators were making out.

A word on the referee Coote, who was in full dickhead traffic warden mode. Not a chance that was a game of 8 bookings. The first yellow card brandished, for Macca, was just the first of many soft as fuck decisions. The exact same much ado about nothing involving Darwin in the box was shrugged aside as exactly that, and yet this warranted both a free kick and a yellow? And what was that stupidity with the balls behind the goal, neither of which had any impact on proceedings. As for VAR Tierney, it was never in doubt that Lucho's second goal would be ruled out

• Upvote 4

Just got in from this. The ref is not up to doing these games. Mo was off it. Darwin hardly in it. Gakpo looked knackered two minutes after coming on. Our game management is going to cost us. The number of times we had the opportunity to just keep the ball and run down the clock but we kept going for the third. This is where we miss Milner. The other strange thing was the linesman who flagged us the second we were off whereas when they had attacks the other linesman kept it down. They need to sort that. Voice gone thanks to Coote but 3 points in the bag.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Trumo said:

One of those game where the work-rate and commitment are unquestionable, but at the same time we leave enough out there to give the opposition a glimmer, purely because some of that work-rate and commitment plays into the opposition's hands.

Brighton are a difficult side to play against for us, and have been ever since they ditched Chris Hughton and went down the route of playing controlled football and being better than the sum of their parts.

And yet we still managed 30-odd goal attempts (most of which were off-target) and could have had more if only our players had brought their shooting boots. There was a lot of wastefulness with our finishing and the game wasn't nearly as close on the balance of play as the commentators were making out.

A word on the referee Coote, who was in full dickhead traffic warden mode. Not a chance that was a game of 8 bookings. The first yellow card brandished, for Macca, was just the first of many soft as fuck decisions. The exact same much ado about nothing involving Darwin in the box was shrugged aside as exactly that, and yet this warranted both a free kick and a yellow? And what was that stupidity with the balls behind the goal, neither of which had any impact on proceedings. As for VAR Tierney, it was never in doubt that Lucho's second goal would be ruled out

We lacked nous. 

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Well, they're not playing that well. A few good movements out of defence but that's far outweighed by the ridiculous diving/simulation that's going on, combined with blatant time-wasting and awful refereeing. 

With a team that's as micro-managed as much as Brighton are, I think anyone who dares to run at them is going to cause plenty of chaos. Matip was great at that, but Bradley can do it, Diaz can do it - that's what we need. They're set up for predictable passing against them. It needs something cuter to shake them up.

This.

And as aws said: LFC played well, better finishing and it's a rout.

One thing I didn't like was their tactic of falling down at every touch, all over the pitch.

Whatever else De Zerbi has to do to compete with a depleted line-up, that's just poor. One of the things I really hate about modern football.

28 minutes ago, Code said:

We miss Trent’s ability to hit the long pass and switch play, we have lost a vital part of our game with him being out.

MacAllister can do it, but not as regularly, it does not help us playing Gomez on the left in that regard either.

Hope Robbo is back for Thursday. 

To be honest I thought we were actually fine today aside from the final third and the end of the game where we kept taking risks. Cunt of a referee I think can definitely unsettle players when they feel everything is going against them or you're twice as likely to give a free kick compared to the other team.

I don't really remember Brighton having many moments, a few times they'd try to counter but we'd always have an extra man vs their advancing players to handle any breaks.

• Upvote 1

I dont agree with those saying Mo had a bad game, he was involved in almost everything we created.

We would not score the first goal without him, scored the second goal himself and set up Diaz with a peach of a pass.

For his missed chances, only two of them were chances where you expect him to score, Id say he got it 10 cm wrong combined with those two chances in how he hit them, Im talking about the one that ended up like weak shot in the middle of goal ( he tried to curl it to the post) and the one that missed the top corner. 

The other chances were half chances and brilliant saves. 

Diaz for instance played the ball to early and Mo ended up too far to the left to have a good angle on goal. 

Nunez was anonymous though and I start to think there might be more to my theory about him sadly only scoring against the bottom half teams, than I like. 

Last time he scored against a top 10 team was in september against West Ham.

Luckily we have a few shite teams coming up, hopefully Nunez will find his scoring boots again then. 

IMG_0366.jpeg

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, TheSire said:

To be honest I thought we were actually fine today aside from the final third and the end of the game where we kept taking risks. Cunt of a referee I think can definitely unsettle players when they feel everything is going against them or you're twice as likely to give a free kick compared to the other team.

I don't really remember Brighton having many moments, a few times they'd try to counter but we'd always have an extra man vs their advancing players to handle any breaks.

It was more of a general observation, but its been a key part of our game for years, we become a bit more predictable to play against without it. 

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

With a team that's as micro-managed as much as Brighton are, I think anyone who dares to run at them is going to cause plenty of chaos. Matip was great at that, 

And to think that the people around me mocked me at one point, when we we were passing it around aimlessly at the back, I shouted "Come on, Jarrell, what would Matip do?"

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I love the aggression that Bradley adds to the team.

Trent is shite.

Seriously though there’s a chance he comes back in and completely trashes the season with his attitude.  Hopefully he’s out for the season.

Bradley and Quansah really struggled with their left side today.  It probably would have been a massacre if Trent had played.