You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

5 minutes ago, skend04 said:

He's inside the post, 6 yards out with the keeper scrambling across. We are talking about a striker who is willing to shoot from anywhere suddenly thinking I'll square it. Like I said, that's 2 absolute sitters we've somehow missed. But for me, it wasn't even the worst thing about the display yesterday.

Spot on this, two massive misses within one second. Those things happen in football, all top strikers miss sitters. 

Top strikers also score and create a lot of goals, which both these two have been doing so far this season.

• Upvote 1

It's so obvious what the problem is. When he gets a normal or even difficult chance he's thinking about scoring. When it's a tap-in it's the fear of missing that takes over. All of this in in his head. The question for Klopp is whether to do something about it (sports psychologist for example) or if the better approach is to not make it bigger than it is and just let him play his way through it. When he scores a couple of tap ins he might then relax when he gets them.

Anyone who plays golf knows how that feels. You miss a couple of short putts and it seems like the hardest thing in the world to do when it should be the easiest. You'd rather have an eight footer than a two footer because you're more freed up and relaxed mentally. You're tying to make it rather than to not miss, because if you don't make the eight footer its fine, it isn't embarrassing, shit happens. You miss the two footer though and it's fucking horrible.

That's what is happening with Nunez. When he's got a sitter he's tensing up because of the "don't fuck this up" factor.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Code said:

In the middle of the goal?

He was outside the post and the keeper had that side covered.

https://x.com/abobidey/status/1721297034836119670?s=61&t=ZxLfrNJJOY-MQIKLBIpr2w

Fucking hell Code.  Watch your own video. you can literally see by how he heads the ball that he's going for goal but it comes off his head sideways.

Salah is an astonishing player for Liverpool and when he leaves he will rightly go into the conversation for our top 5 best ever.  But he can make the odd mistake.  He's still human.  And that was bad header; but they happen.  Darwin's miss was a million times worse

Salah’s header is an abomination, anyone who thinks he’s squaring it to Nunez needs their head wobbling. He doesn’t pass to anyone in those situations. So when the ball comes to Nunez, it’s probably the last thing he’s expecting, although any striker should be putting that chance away really. To be fair to their keeper, he got across towards Nunez quickly and quite possibly put him off enough to make him try and put it high into the goal, but he fucked up.

As has been said though, there was more wrong yesterday than those two missing presentable chances within 5 seconds of each other.

9 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

He's really good, I just think we're not quite there yet in terms of properly servicing him. EG, he's fucking great in the air but we seldom seem to give him balls like that to win.  He's got a great snapshot when the ball is right to hit but too often he's chasing balls into the corner. 

433 is tough without a bit of nous knitting it together. 

I don't think 4-3-3 is really working for any of the players. Nunez, Jota, macAllister, Trent, left-back-of-the-week.

47 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Fucking hell Code.  Watch your own video. you can literally see by how he heads the ball that he's going for goal but it comes off his head sideways.

Salah is an astonishing player for Liverpool and when he leaves he will rightly go into the conversation for our top 5 best ever.  But he can make the odd mistake.  He's still human.  And that was bad header; but they happen.  Darwin's miss was a million times worse

For me it looked like he tried to head it to Nunez, his body is not positioned towards goal and he is not trying to shape his header that way either. 

Maybe Im wrong, but unless Salah himself say he tried to score, I think Im right.

Did anyone ask Salah about it?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Good point. Did anyone ask Nunez if he was trying to score? I'm going to assume he was aiming at a passing seagull.

Out of the 273 goals Salah has scored in his club career, only 8 have been headers. 

I think he tried to setup Nunez. 

The miss was horrendous but it's always more of an issue because it's him. Bobby used to go literally months without scoring and nobody gave a fuck.

When Nunez and Halaand arrived it was bizarrely decided that they were in competition for the golden boot even though (a) they do different things and were bought for different reasons and (b) he hardly started games.

The narrative is gonna be hard to shake now, possibly ever. The good things he does quickly get forgotten. 

Was watching our 7-0 against the mancs on YouTube (I like to masturbate to it when I've got the blues) and forgot how good his two goals and general performace was in that game. 

Nunez never hides. He doesn't step off. He steps up.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Code said:

For me it looked like he tried to head it to Nunez, his body is not positioned towards goal and he is not trying to shape his header that way either. 

Maybe Im wrong, but unless Salah himself say he tried to score, I think Im right.

Ha, I love your steadfast commitment on these things Code. You can now only be wrong if Salah takes out a half page ad in the Echo. Perfect.

There’s not a single time in Mo’s career, to this point or in the yet to be told future where he’s heading that square.

8 minutes ago, Code said:

Out of the 273 goals Salah has scored in his club career, only 8 have been headers. 

I think he tried to setup Nunez. 

The fact he’s not great at headers makes it all the more likely he missheaded it, and all the less likely that he played a perfectly weighted assist into the path of a player who at the time of the header wasn’t in his line of sight.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

If Salah meant that as a headed pass, then it would have been from the centre of his forehead and Salah’s head movement would have been towards where he wanted the ball to go. Neither was the case, and as we all know, Mo doesn’t pass a chance on to anyone in those situations.

It was a bad header, I agree.

My point is that his body was angled towards Nunez run and so was the header. Even if he had perfect contact with the forehead it would not be headed towards goal based on his body position and neck movement. 

42 minutes ago, Code said:

Fwiw, I agree. Always thought he was heading it across.

There is a chance he was trying to guide it in far post and fluffed it, but if he's trying to score with a header there I think he goes for power, not placement.

39 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The miss was horrendous but it's always more of an issue because it's him.

Do you think frequency or type of miss play any part?

He had 4 shots prior to that miss yesterday and nobody is having a go at him for them because they were your bog standard misses that most strikers make.

The ones he get's criticised for are the ridiculous ones, of which there are far too many at the moment.

By the same token Haaland has missed loads but he's also scored loads and the one miss that he keeps getting reminded of is the Charity Shield because of the nature of it.

It's not Nunez being targeted, it's Nunez making a higher than average number of those types of fuck ups. Werner went through a similar thing.

Just now, Pidge said:

Fwiw, I agree. Always thought he was heading it across.

There is a chance he was trying to guide it in far post and fluffed it, but if he's trying to score with a header there I think he goes for power, not placement.

Think he got caught in two minds and tried to re-adjust from shot to pass at the last minute which is why it looked so awkward.

Bad moment all round.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

It's so obvious what the problem is. When he gets a normal or even difficult chance he's thinking about scoring. When it's a tap-in it's the fear of missing that takes over. All of this in in his head. The question for Klopp is whether to do something about it (sports psychologist for example) or if the better approach is to not make it bigger than it is and just let him play his way through it. When he scores a couple of tap ins he might then relax when he gets them.

Anyone who plays golf knows how that feels. You miss a couple of short putts and it seems like the hardest thing in the world to do when it should be the easiest. You'd rather have an eight footer than a two footer because you're more freed up and relaxed mentally. You're tying to make it rather than to not miss, because if you don't make the eight footer its fine, it isn't embarrassing, shit happens. You miss the two footer though and it's fucking horrible.

That's what is happening with Nunez. When he's got a sitter he's tensing up because of the "don't fuck this up" factor.

Its not like golf though, because in golf you are over the ball for a long amount of time and you have the opportunity to think about a million things. The only comparable thing in football is a dead ball like a pen or a free kick. The chance he puts over yesterday, the whole thing, from the ball bouncing over to him and him making contact with it, takes about 2 seconds. Are we saying those 2 seconds are enough time for his brain to recognize its a sitter and then for his brain to freeze because he is supposedly scared of those?

And he literally scored a tap in against Forest last week. 

4 hours ago, A Red said:

He will be the best striker in the PL. He doesn't hide, I'd be far more worried about him not getting chances than missing sitters. He also creates his own opportunities. He didn't cost us the win against Luton the team did.

He's the type of player that is worth persevering with and being told he's in for the next 5 games at least, regardless of what sitters he misses. Taking him out of the firing line will do more harm than good.

He will be better than Haaland.

Has Stig hijacked your account?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The miss was horrendous but it's always more of an issue because it's him. Bobby used to go literally months without scoring and nobody gave a fuck.

When Nunez and Halaand arrived it was bizarrely decided that they were in competition for the golden boot even though (a) they do different things and were bought for different reasons and (b) he hardly started games.

The narrative is gonna be hard to shake now, possibly ever. The good things he does quickly get forgotten. 

Was watching our 7-0 against the mancs on YouTube (I like to masturbate to it when I've got the blues) and forgot how good his two goals and general performace was in that game. 

Nunez never hides. He doesn't step off. He steps up.

Bobby wouldn't have missed though. So there's that.