You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) - Sun 3rd Oct 2021 (4:30pm)

Trumo

And so on to what has become quite a heated rivalry over the past few years. Their club and fans have had a real sense of entitlement over this time, believing the rules and regulations simply do not apply to them because they're rich. Well, their owners are rich. City are nothing more than a sport-washing exercise aimed at getting any sort of spotlight away from the human rights abuses and dependency on oil continuing to be a valuable global commodity. FFP? Fuck that!

Tenacity. Wilyness. Incision. Impudence. Ingenuity. Intelligence. Imagination. Courage. Energy!

I don't ask for much.

Last season's corresponding fixture came at just the right time for the visitors. We were in the midst of a real slump in home form, decimated in defence, incapacitated in midfield and impotent up front. Even the more reliable players were suffering from a downturn in form as we had to select both Hendo and Fab in the centre of defence. With no fans present, it suited City as they thrive in conditions that resemble a training exercise.

Anyway, it was a much happier outcome in August 1969 when Joe Mercer's side visited Anfield. They'd won the FA Cup the previous season, and the league title on goal difference the season before that. They had the likes of Lee, Bell and Summerbee so were clearly a very good side. The Anfield Iron scored an own goal and Ian Bowyer netted another for the visitors, but thanks to a pair of fellas now having a kickabout behind the Pearly Gates, we came away with the 2 points. Saint got two goals and Sir Roger got the other. A fine result but Shanks' team were in need of some new blood, and stalwarts like the two legendary strikers, goalkeeper The Flying Pig and centre half Big Ron would soon be on their way. The guys that took their place did pretty well though! I can't find a clip of that game but here's a newspaper cutting.

1969-09-24-mancity-524.jpg?width=334

Not just on the pitch at Anfield, but also in everyday life there was a changing of the tide. The short-back-and-sides stuffy conservatism of the early 60s had slowly been giving way to freedom of speech, anti-war protests, hallucinogenic drugs, a harder edged rock music, free love and the catch-all term 'counter culture'. If ever a movie captured the zeitgeist, it was the August 1969 box office top spot holder directed by and starring Dennis Hopper, written by and co-starring his friend Peter Fonda, and effectively bringing to the mainstream conscience a young upstart and budding acting legend by the name of Jack Nicholson. Cali to The Big Easy. Harleys. Copious drugs. Steppenwolf's counter culture anthem 'Born To Be Wild'. Easy Rider is one of the films that ushered in America's version of France's cinematic New Wave. Directors, writers, producers and actors who actively shunned the old Hollywood studio system and used their independent spirit to secure the finance needed to tell stories that were begging to be told. A bona fide classic.

This will be our toughest test of the season to date. I'd imagine the City lot will be thinking the same thing. Unlike in recent fixtures where they've thrashed us because half our players were drunk (post title-win 2019/20) or incapacitated (last season), and when no fans have been in the ground, this is more like what they'd have come up against when Anfield was packed to the rafters, our team were well up for it, and Pep the oddball had his meltdown. We just need to know that we can do that again, and that they know we can do that again, and then actually do that again. As ever, the right focus and the right attitude will see that we stand a great chance of getting it done. In an era where it's become normal for money to put paid to ethics and where the perpetrators never get their comeuppance, Jurgen and the team are almost like the counter culture to that mentality. Get your motor running...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

I was waaaaay off with my team prediction for midweek. Having come unscathed from that I doubt we'll see any changes against City. I would personally put Gomez in for Milner and Bobby in for Jota, but I doubt Klopp changes what worked well against Porto.

I still think our front three looks better when the original three are playing, but it might be too soon for Firmino to start. I worry a bit about Milner if he's up against Sterling or Grealish. Milner got loads of plaudits for his performance vs Zaha, but truth be told he hacked him down a couple of times and was lucky to escape without a caution. Him being physical against either Sterling or Grealish might work a treat (they will not be thrilled with him snapping at their heels), or be a disaster (red card). I don't really like Gomez at RB, but he is better equipped to deal with their pace and dribbling. Maybe play Gomez a bit more like a traditional RB in this one and let Robbo do the attacking (a bit like in midweek, where Milner was a lot more quiet than his Scottish counterpart)?

Anyway, let's hope for a great game and clear win!

I think we have to pick Milner right back unless it's a park the bus job, which it won't be. City are a top pressing side and putting Gomez at right back if you're planning on doing any kind of attacking is a disaster waiting to happen. We need as technically solid a team as possible because getting penned in and not getting out is the biggest threat.

Otherwise, I have no real preference on team selection but imo, he'll pick the 4 forwards with Henderson and Fabinho behind them.

Gomez just offers very little going forward, so has to be Milner at right back.

I watched some of the highlights of their match against PSG and they pretty much dominated the game, but couldn't finish for shit.  Bernardo Silva had an absolute classic miss, worse than Jota's the other week.  If we can put away our chances we should win.  We'll need to be clinical though, because City will still create loads, and hopefully they miss the ones they do.

44 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think we have to pick Milner right back unless it's a park the bus job, which it won't be. City are a top pressing side and putting Gomez at right back if you're planning on doing any kind of attacking is a disaster waiting to happen. We need as technically solid a team as possible because getting penned in and not getting out is the biggest threat.

Otherwise, I have no real preference on team selection but imo, he'll pick the 4 forwards with Henderson and Fabinho behind them.

If that’s to be the case we need to have Mane on the right keeping the width. Otherwise the attack becomes too narrow and messy.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

If that’s to be the case we need to have Mane on the right keeping the width. Otherwise the attack becomes too narrow and messy.

I'd say Milner has stayed wide more than Trent has this season.  Trent has been given more license to wander into central areas.  Hendo is also plenty capable of overlapping Mo.

46 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

So Greater Manchester ref Paul Tierney is in charge for this one. It’s ok folks he supports Wigan see.

Let's hope we don't get a last minute chance again

Ref Watch: Surprise to see Tierney blow early

Dermot Gallagher feels referee Paul Tierney was wrong to blow up early for half-time in Liverpool's draw with Manchester United at Anfield on Super Sunday.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12191603/ref-watch-surprising-to-see-tierney-blow-early

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I'd say Milner has stayed wide more than Trent has this season.  Trent has been given more license to wander into central areas.  Hendo is also plenty capable of overlapping Mo.

Definitely. Watching him against Porto, there were times he was waiting for the ball whilst technically not on the pitch.