You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pulp vs Stone Roses

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pulp vs Stone Roses  

52 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pulp vs Stone Roses

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/08/20 at 13:09

1 minute ago, PestiRed said:

Like Pulp but they shouldn’t really be in this contest and no way are they beating the Stone Roses

Pulp shouldn't be in a top 64 British bands of all time tournament? Come off it mate thats ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Pulp shouldn't be in a top 64 British bands of all time tournament? Come off it mate thats ridiculous. 

Nah, you’re mistaking a handful of good songs that you identify with and a nostalgic memory of a concert you enjoyed with greatness. If that was the criteria I could add Shed Seven to the list

I like and still listen to Pulp but they are not up there with the greats

7 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Nah, you’re mistaking a handful of good songs that you identify with and a nostalgic memory of a concert you enjoyed with greatness. If that was the criteria I could add Shed Seven to the list

I like and still listen to Pulp but they are not up there with the greats

Personal opinion. I've gone Stone Roses but its closer for me than some others think. 

I reckon I'm voting for the losers here.  Stone Roses are obviously hugely influential, but for some reason they never really did it for me.  I think they're alright, like, I just...

Pulp were one of very, very few bands of the Britpop era who managed to combine catchy tunes and intelligent lyrics - and to do so without disappearing up their own arses.  Common People is the greatest song of the Nineties.

Pulp

The discography of Pulp, an English Britpop band, consists of seven studio albums, 9 compilation albums, 2 live albums and 26 singles. They were formed in 1978 by Jarvis Cocker and had a continuously rotating band membership until the eleven years between 1991 and their hiatus on 15 December 2002, during which they were largely settled.[1] They rose to prominence during the Britpop era in the early 1990s with their album His 'n' Hers (1994).

The band released two albums and eight singles in the 1980s, which garnered little attention from audiences or critics.[2] Their first charting single was "Razzmatazz", which reached number 80 on the UK Singles Chart. His 'n' Hers was their first charting album, peaking at number 9 on the UK Albums Chart.

As they became part of the Britpop music scene, the band scored their first major hits, most notably "Common People" and "Disco 2000". Their 1995 album Different Class was a commercial success, peaking at number 1 in the UK and going platinum four times. Two further albums, This Is Hardcore and We Love Life, achieved moderate commercial success.

Fire Records, who own the material from the band's first three albums, re-released it several times after Pulp achieved success in a number of compilation albums, most of which had little commercial success.

In 2013 Pulp released the single "After You", written a number of years earlier but never fully finished or released until then. It peaked at number 101 on the UK Singles Chart[3] and in the top 10 of the UK Indie Chart.[4]

The Stone Roses

The Stone Roses were an English rock band formed in Manchester in 1983. One of the pioneering groups of the Madchester movement in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the band's classic and most prominent lineup consisted of vocalist Ian Brown, guitarist John Squire, bassist Mani and drummer Reni.

The band released their debut album, The Stone Roses, in 1989. The album was a breakthrough success for the band and received critical acclaim, many regarding it as one of the greatest British albums ever recorded. At this time the group decided to capitalise on their success by signing to a major label. Their record label at the time, Silvertone, would not let them out of their contract, which led to a long legal battle that culminated with the band signing with Geffen Records in 1991. The Stone Roses then released their second album, Second Coming, in 1994, which was met with mixed reviews.[2] The group soon disbanded after several line-up changes throughout the supporting tour, which began with Reni departing in early 1995, followed by Squire in April 1996. Brown and Mani dissolved the remains of the group in October 1996 following their appearance at Reading Festival.

Following much intensified media speculation, The Stone Roses called a press conference on 18 October 2011 to announce that the band had reunited and would perform a reunion world tour in 2012, including three homecoming shows in Heaton Park, Manchester.[3][4][5] Plans to record a third album in the future were also floated but only three singles were released.[6] In June 2012, Chris Coghill, the writer of a new film which is set during the Stone Roses 1990 Spike Island show, revealed that the band "have at least three or four new tracks recorded".[7][8] In June 2013, a documentary about the band's reformation directed by Shane Meadows and titled The Stone Roses: Made of Stone was released.[9]

In 2016, they released their first new material in two decades. The band members continued to tour until June 2017, at which point cryptic remarks by Ian Brown indicated the band had split again, later confirmed in a 2019 interview with John Squire.[10]

Hard to choose Pulp’s best album. His n hers is about fucking. Different class is about getting fucked & This is hardcore is about being old & fucked. 
The people’s champ for me. They were shit & a bit weird for 10 years. And then became the kings of britpop.

I was to young for the Roses first time around. Still don’t think I’ve listened to the second coming all the way through.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I reckon I'm voting for the losers here.  Stone Roses are obviously hugely influential, but for some reason they never really did it for me.  I think they're alright, like, I just...

Pulp were one of very, very few bands of the Britpop era who managed to combine catchy tunes and intelligent lyrics - and to do so without disappearing up their own arses.  Common People is the greatest song of the Nineties.

I reckon Jarvis Cocker totally went up his own arsehole, hanging round drunk with Damien Hirst etc, and resulting in Spitting Image doing this to him

Fortunately he seems to have got his feet back in the ground since

There’s a certain stadium that houses a team playing the unmentionable.

It’s possible to make an argument that other unmentionable teams have bigger, fancier, shinier, more comfortable, more accessible etc.. stadiums. 

Whilst at least some of this is true, few of these other stadiums are capable of the magic this one creates. Maybe not every day, possible not even that often, but enough to make it one of the most iconic stadiums in unmentionable. 

The Stone Roses are the Anfield of music. 

28 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Has got to be Pulp but it won't be. Different Class is a brilliant album and Jarvis is one of the genuinely nice and intelligent pop stars on this list. I have met him a couple of times and he's a top bloke. The Stone Roses made one half decent album for fucks sake. 

I'm getting disillusioned with this competition, Pulp out, Human League out, Libertines out whilst Oasis and Radiohead stay in. Genesis are going to win it. 

It's Stig running it. Oasis will win. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Lazy, coked up wankers by the end though I like High Flying birds. Noel has a house very near my old office in Marylebone so we used to see him all the time in the local Waitrose buying milk. He refuses to give autographs and furthermore gives the person asking a hard time saying "why do you want this, its just a fucking scribble on a bit of paper ?". Quite funny to see it. 

If its Primal Scream versus Oasis in the final, its basically a battle of the tribute bands. 

Who are Primal Scream a tribute band of?