You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I don’t expect it for a second. 

But, if these rumours are gathering genuine pace then that’s the likely outcome. 

Yeah the rumours are deffo gathering pace, but there's been enough noise from Boston that they can't be seen to spend money because what's happening over there. They're sell to buy at the best of times, so for sure we will need to probably not just balance the books, but also be seen to balance the books. 

51 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Yeah the rumours are deffo gathering pace, but there's been enough noise from Boston that they can't be seen to spend money because what's happening over there. They're sell to buy at the best of times, so for sure we will need to probably not just balance the books, but also be seen to balance the books. 

Wrote a lengthy reply to this and lost it. 

Basically...from what I’ve read the owners don’t give a fuck about criticism of spending over there (or here) and this summer will be no different. 

I’d rather Gini signed and stayed, but I’m not so sure the owners will act the same way in the current climate the way they did when Can only had 12 months left. 

That £30/35m would cover a lot of losses instead of letting him leave for free in 12 months in their minds I’d imagine. 

Saying that I’d be majorly pissed off if they didn’t allow Klopp at least a break even ‘net spend’ this summer considering the savings in wages next season. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

He wouldn’t, but Klopp would be well within his rights to just walk if they took the piss on spend. He’s lined their pockets with hundreds of millions of pounds.

I think people will always panic a bit when they think we're not consolidating our position, but it's not as easy as just spending big.

This squad has been painstakingly built on charcter as much as ability, people are scouted years in advance and dossiers are compiled about how they react and behave.

The results are clear, these lads love each other, you can't buy that.

We could go and buy a few big name players but would they want to sit on the bench from time to time? Who do you drop from the front three or from the defence?

Souness called it right that it'll be about decent squad players. Also, let's remember nobody still really knows when fans will be allowed back in grounds and clubs will start seing the income return to normal.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

He wouldn’t, but Klopp would be well within his rights to just walk if they took the piss on spend. He’s lined their pockets with hundreds of millions of pounds.

Yeah, I think the talk of managers going whenever they don't get a signing is absurd but this is one of those where Klopp deserves to get the player. I like FSG but if they don't fork up for someone of Thiago's quality when he has a year left on his deal and it would be a relative discount, they're taking the piss. The transfer makes too much sense for us to do the financial prudence thing. 

I hope it will happen. I think it will. Too many reports.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, I think the talk of managers going whenever they don't get a signing is absurd but this is one of those where Klopp deserves to get the player. I like FSG but if they don't fork up for someone of Thiago's quality when he has a year left on his deal and it would be a relative discount, they're taking the piss. The transfer makes too much sense for us to do the financial prudence thing. 

I hope it will happen. I think it will. Too many reports.

Yes I agree on all points. Hope we get him of course -- the point almost transcends the player though. Of course none of us have insight into whether Klopp wants him etc., but given the monetary value Klopp has created (lets not even talk about the trophy - he's taken those FSG wallets to all-time-highs) it'd be horrendous to think he doesn't get what he wants now on the playing side. His very presence adds immense financial value to the club and the worth of the squad.

18 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yes I agree on all points. Hope we get him of course -- the point almost transcends the player though. Of course none of us have insight into whether Klopp wants him etc., but given the monetary value Klopp has created (lets not even talk about the trophy - he's taken those FSG wallets to all-time-highs) it'd be horrendous to think he doesn't get what he wants now on the playing side. His very presence adds immense financial value to the club and the worth of the squad.

From the reports, I think we can infer than Klopp wants him, or at least is a big fan. But I think this is a specific instance and opportunity we just shouldn't pass up. If we don't want to spend money on a world class player in his prime that can keep maximizing our chances of winning trophies in this period of success, and again, that is available and for a relative discount, then what are we even doing?

And we could probably afford him just from the deadwood we'll sell and wages we'll free up this summer anyway. 

20 hours ago, Alex_K said:

We'll sell to finance it. There's been loads of talk about him and pretty much only the echo denying it. Lovren has gone for almost 11m, lallana is leaving, so that's 200k off the wage bill. Clyne is out too, so that's another 60k. And chiravella has gone, who was probably another 20k. You'd have thought with the wage savings that would be enough, but it's also pretty likely Wilson or gruic will go too. 

2 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

I still think Havertz coz he can play midfield or false 9... 

Don't know man - that makes two assumptions. That at his age he can come in and perform well enough to get substantial minutes. And that he can play as a false nine - its not something he has done alot - or at a high level tbh.

I think Thiago would be pushing for a first 11 spot.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Don't know man - that makes two assumptions. That at his age he can come in and perform well enough to get substantial minutes. And that he can play as a false nine - its not something he has done alot - or at a high level tbh.

I imagine next season it'll be 2 matches a week from the outset to fit everything in. When the games are thick and fast, klopp rotates his midfield 3 even if he sticks a bit elsewhere. Anyone who can play in the.mjdfield 3 will get loads of games next season. 

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I would love Thiago but again I have doubts on him adjusting to this league. At 29, his legs aren't getting younger and God forbid one injury, less chances of him getting suited to us even more. Even if we get him, I see more value in Havertz who seems to have it all.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yep, alot of smoke on this fella.

Wopuld be nice to break the "FSG Type" signing pattern if just for the sake of. He is certainly a top player.

Heres one for discussion -- who would make the side stronger over the next two seasons Thiago or Havertz?

We won't be breaking that pattern, if he signs it will be Ginis replacement. 

53 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, agree on value - but that's why he is more than double the price.

Not sure if Havertz would challenge the first 11 immediately. Great player though.

The benefit of buying when your team is good though is players don't need to be instant successes, you're able to allow him bedding in time . From the little I've seen of havertz, he'd offer us more than chamberlain. So that's our 1st change improved on the days we play our best team or when we rotate it's an improvement and if he flies, he pushes someone else out. 

Guest Alex_K
2 hours ago, The Gaul said:

We'll sell to finance it. There's been loads of talk about him and pretty much only the echo denying it. Lovren has gone for almost 11m, lallana is leaving, so that's 200k off the wage bill. Clyne is out too, so that's another 60k. And chiravella has gone, who was probably another 20k. You'd have thought with the wage savings that would be enough, but it's also pretty likely Wilson or gruic will go too. 

Yeah hopefully. I'm always a little suspicious whether funds raised by players who are not conspicuous by their absence (an Ibe versus a Coutinho, say) are wholly re-invested in the same way. But if we spend irrespective of the impact that outgoing players have on the squad then it is an absolute no brainer.

Lallana had the nice equaliser at Old Trafford that kept our momentum on track earlier in the season but none of the others have contributed in any meaningful way.

35 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Not watched a lot of Havertz but thought he was more an attacking mid in the Ballack mould? 

He is indeed however he has played up front by himself last 3 or 4 games (been pretty effective to be fair) and has scored a few goals including a couple of headers. So in our enduring quest to finding competition for Bobby the feeling is Havertz could do the Bobby role when required before cementing his place in team as a midfielder.