You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

Fabinho protecting the centre halves, Alisson behind them and Keita roaming all over the place pressing the life out of teams?

What a terrible season we have ahead of us.

Might even get a clean sheet or two.

I think if I recall correctly if you mulitplied out the rate we conceded goals with VVD starting last season we were already on pace to only concede 25 league goals.

Add Fabinho, Karius and Alisson to that and we might concede around 20 league goals! I'm starting to come around to the idea that if we can stay healthy (especially Salah & VVD) the noise about a title challenge might not just be empty hype.

Fabinho protecting the centre halves, Alisson behind them and Keita roaming all over the place pressing the life out of teams?

What a terrible season we have ahead of us.

Might even get a clean sheet or two.

If we don't get two clean sheets in our first game, I'm done with this joke of a club.

• Upvote 1

I think if I recall correctly if you mulitplied out the rate we conceded goals with VVD starting last season we were already on pace to only concede 25 league goals.

Add Fabinho, Karius and Alisson to that and we might concede around 20 league goals! I'm starting to come around to the idea that if we can stay healthy (especially Salah & VVD) the noise about a title challenge might not just be empty hype.

I think it depends on how the new signings settle and how we start the season with the WC hangover.

• Upvote 1

Just realised what could be the reason for signing him to a 6-year deal instead of 4 or 5 as is normal for most players.

I'd be willing to bet that it's to do with our accounting. If we were really, really confident that he's a great player and the risk he comes here and flops (or gets injured) is low, then one way to make the numbers work if Roma were being sticklers for a price higher than we wanted to pay is to stretch them across a longer period.

On a team's books a player is never measured by what the fee was, but by what they cost/year of their contract (or how the fee is amortised). So if he cost £66m, that's £11m/year across the 6 years of his deal. Add to that his wages (presumably something like £7.5m/year?) and you have a total player cost of £18.5m/season. Which is expensive but keeps him under £20m/season which is about the max we could probably possibly do (van Dijk is over that but not by much, and no-one else is close).

If it had been 5 years that amortisation cost goes from £11m/year to £13.2m/year, which is a big jump and puts total player cost at £20.7m/season. I'd bet that when Roma wouldn't fudge on the price we thought to ourselves "Hm, goalkeepers aren't injured that often, I wonder if he'd do 6 years?" and then approached his agent to see if we couldn't make that work.

• Upvote 1

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/error-free-alisson-is-just-what-liverpool-need-5hgzmrjtn

Paul Joyce - Error free Alisson is just what Liverpool need.

For all the figures framing Alisson Becker’s prospective move to Liverpool — from the size of a world-record fee in the region of £66 million for a goalkeeper to the impressive save percentages — it is the big, fat zero that really catches the eye.

The Roma player did not make a single error that led to a goal in 37 games in the Italian league last season and that, in a nutshell, is why Liverpool have pursued the Brazil international so vigorously.

For Liverpool, a No 1 who helps in the pursuit of prizes is an obvious upgrade. Given that a deal for Lyons’ Nabil Fekir was aborted at the 11th hour earlier in the summer, there will be no celebrating at Anfield just yet, despite the club reaching agreement with Roma and being granted permission to speak to Alisson. There is still a medical to complete today, and a six-year contract to sign. But the prevailing mood is one of cautious optimism, particularly because this is viewed as a game-changing signing.

One by one Liverpool’s weaknesses are being eradicated by the manager Jürgen Klopp and the club’s owners, Fenway Sports Group. A new goalkeeper was needed after the shortcomings of Simon Mignolet and then Loris Karius fuelled an erosion of trust in the team last season.

Alisson, who has been at Roma since 2016, is the very definition of a modern goalkeeper. He is adept with the ball at his feet, having made 1,082 passes in Serie A last season with an accuracy of 78.93 per cent, but it is his presence, shot-stopping ability and reliability that make him stand out. His save ratio was above 79 per cent. Mignolet’s was 59 per cent, Karius’s 69 per cent, both from 19 games.

Liverpool’s decision to invest so heavily in the 25-year-old — who ironically did concede seven goals against them in last season’s Champions League semi-final ties — signals a further realisation by Klopp that nature often beats nurture when there is pressure to challenge for the top honours. In successive transfer windows, the Liverpool manager has sanctioned two world-record fees, the defender Virgil van Dijk having arrived for £75 million in January. Van Dijk and Alisson are viewed as long-term additions, not quick fixes.

Klopp could not afford to stick with what he had. Karius has returned to pre-season training still broken following his Champions League ordeal against Real Madrid, despite the in-house explanation that he was concussed at the time of the errors.

The only goalkeeper to keep more clean sheets in Serie A last term than Alisson (17) was Napoli’s Pepe Reina (18), who Liverpool have not successfully replaced since offloading him in 2013 to save on wages. That shows how far the club’s transfer policy has evolved — no more shortcuts.

The other factor in the change in transfer strategy is Klopp’s ability to attract top players.

Not long ago Steven Gerrard would be asked by the hierarchy to text potential targets and use his status as a pull, but now the manager’s magnetism makes the difference.

Highest fees for goalkeepers Five of the world’s most expensive goalkeepers could be in the Premier League next season

Alisson £66 million Roma to Liverpool, 2018

Ederson £35 million Benfica to Manchester City, 2017

Gianluigi Buffon £32.6 million Parma to Juventus, 2001

Jordan Pickford £22 million Sunderland to Everton, 2017

Alex Meret £19.8 million Udinese to Napoli 2018

Bernd Leno £19.3 million Bayer Leverkusen to Arsenal, 2018

David De Gea £19 million Atletico Madrid to Man United, 2011

Manuel Neuer £19 million Schalke to Bayern Munich, 2011

• Upvote 2

For me, it looks a an issue when you compile very quick reaction saves into one video. For me, there’s no real expectation to save shots at point blank range, so when they do, parrying it back is no big issue. At the moment we aren’t worrying too much about it because they’re in the net. When you take them out of a compilation, it looks less of an issue.

Its no complaints,im delighted.

Think he was the best we could get as i dint think Oblak was ever in play for us.

Just one of the things that stood out. As i said de Gea does ut all the time and is rarely punished. So long as it stats out couldn't care if he parries or ounches instead of catches.

People need to realise that few keepers will catch a ball these days. Dont blame them either with the flight on the ball these days. Moves all over the shop

b3jf343.png

I wonder if he will coming running through the doors, dive onto the desk, catch the mic, announce he has signed for 6 years, throw the mic to the nearest listener and run back through the doors?

Probably not.

I wonder if he will coming running through the doors, dive onto the desk, catch the mic, announce he has signed for 6 years, throw the mic to the nearest listener and run back through the doors?

Probably not.

He should throw the pen to someone else to sign, then drop it when it's returned.