You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took about 30 seconds to pick it, but I'd like to see these have a game against England -

Oblak

Bellerin Van Dijk Bonucci Robertson

Vidal Jorginho Verratti

Bale Icardi Sane

Right back appears to be the position where all the best in the world will be there. 

I chose a 4-2-3-1 and ended up pigeon holing Mata in the number 10. I went for Benzema up top, mostly because I've never seen the likes of Icardi play. I do quite like the defence though.

Oblak

Dani Alves - VVD - Chiellini - Robertson

Veratti - Keita

Mahrez - Mata - Bale

Benzema

Egypt's training camp is in Chechnya *facepalm*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44451415

World Cup 2018: 'Salah used for political capital' as Chechnya host Egypt training

_101986352_tv047357994.jpg

Chechnyan leader Ramzan Kadyrov used Mohamed Salah for "political capital" by being pictured with the Egypt star, says an anti-discrimination chief.

Egypt's World Cup base is in the former war-torn Russian republic, where Kadyrov's regime has been criticised for alleged human rights abuses.

Piara Powar, of Fare Network, said Fifa had made a "big mistake" in allowing Chechnya to host a training base.

Kadyrov defended his human rights record to the BBC earlier this year.

Speaking in January, he insisted all reports of extrajudicial killings and torture of gay people in Chechnya were "made up".

Football's world governing body Fifa has always maintained its commitment to protecting human rights and earlier this year said it had "no grounds to believe that the choice of the Egyptian FA to locate its base camp in Grozny will cause particular adverse human rights impacts".

But Powar, executive director of Fare Network, told BBC sports editor Dan Roan: "We have raised concerns about Chechnya being a training base for a long time.

"If you know Kadyrov and follow the way he runs the region then you knew at some point he was going to try to gain some political capital, and I think he's done that.

"The allegations flying around about how gay Chechens have been tortured and killed, their families persecuted, this is not a good moment a day or two before the World Cup kicks off.

"It exemplifies the dangers of coming to places where human rights are at risk and not valued in the way they should be valued. I think Fifa have made a big mistake here allowing that training ground to be situated in Chechnya."

And Amnesty International said the photo with Salah was "pure sportswashing".

Allan Hogarth, Amnesty's head of policy and government affairs, added: "Ramzan Kadyrov was always going to see Mo Salah as a walking photo-opportunity, but Liverpool and Egypt football fans should look at the reality behind this cheerful-looking photograph.

"During Kadyrov's authoritarian rule in Chechnya there have been a stream of reports of enforced disappearance, of detainees being tortured and even extrajudicial executions.

"Journalists, those perceived to be gay and anyone pursuing human rights activism is at acute risk in Chechnya. A smiling photo with Mo Salah isn't going to wash away Ramzan Kadyrov's sinister human rights record."

Campaign group Human Rights Watch has lobbied Fifa over its decision to allow Chechnya to host a training camp for the World Cup.

• Upvote 1

Good piece on how having clusters of Barcelona/Real, Juventus and Bayern players benefited Spain, Italy and Germany in terms of tactical familiarity in 2006, 2010 and 2014.

Obviously those countries have/had many of the best players in the world, but it could be argued that Argentina, France and even Brazil are at a disadvantage in terms of the geographical spread of their players. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-why-the-world-cup-outcome-is-so-difficult-to-predict-1.3525882

The shenanigans surrounding the Spanish management situation are likely to fuck up my prediction for them to win it.

Incidentally,England could reach latter stages based on how the groups pan out. Not saying they will but they've had a good draw.

They'll face Germany in the QFs probably.