You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election Thread 2016

Red Phoenix

Icey lives in Hoboken so you have to take it easy on him - that is a driver and a 3 wood away from Trump Central. Haven't really waded in here but...

I get the exact opposite feeling tbh. There are people I know who never would have considered voting Democrat who are saying they cannot support the DT. There has never been a recent Republican who won who did not carry in the mid 90% of all that parties registered voters - there are just not enough of them to swing it and he certainly is not going to bring anyone across the aisle. Some have hit it on the head - I think he is actually bemused that he has made it this far.

• Upvote 1

Trump is so going to win, apparently closing in, which means way ahead if you factor in all the closet Trumpists. To be followed by wins or big gains by people like Le Pen, Wilders, Petry and similar all over Europe. Houellebecq's Submission will look like a feel good novel soon.

apparently closing in

There are only a couple predictors in America worth their salt, most are very loosely guised shills - this is one:

Trump might be happy about one poll that puts him one point ahead, but perhaps he should take a look at this Moody’s Analytics model. The model, which has correctly predicted the winner of every presidential race since 1980, predicts that Clinton will win next week. More specifically, the model forecasts that she’ll take 332 electoral votes, while Trump will receive 206. Swing states Ohio, Pennsylvania, Colorado and Florida are all set for Democratic victories, according to the model, which is based on three economic factors and three political factors.

By the way - that is a huge margin in recent American politics. An ass kicking.

Icey lives in Hoboken so you have to take it easy on him - that is a driver and a 3 wood away from Trump Central. Haven't really waded in here but...

I get the exact opposite feeling tbh. There are people I know who never would have considered voting Democrat who are saying they cannot support the DT. There has never been a recent Republican who won who did not carry in the mid 90% of all that parties registered voters - there are just not enough of them to swing it and he certainly is not going to bring anyone across the aisle. Some have hit it on the head - I think he is actually bemused that he has made it this far.

My dad down in Bradenton says that people are embarrassed about the whole Trump thing and just want him and the election to go away

Then again, I reckon,  if you went up to the Panhandle you'd get a totally different impression

I have no idea what the fuck is going on there, I just think it's insane. When looking at the big picture it's probably a small thing, and yes it could all be staged. I think it's another reminder of how truly fucking mental this election is though.

Of course it's Hillary related though so nothing to see here, let's forget it and move on. Or heads back in the sand, or whatever.

you still don't get it RP.  These are both despicable humans.  One of them has been anointed.  Tittle tattle, revelations, gossip and huge exposed facts are not going to change it, no matter how much you want it changed.  Sometimes stomping your foot and bawling just doesn't work.  This is one of those times.  

There are only a couple predictors in America worth their salt, most are very loosely guised shills - this is one:

Trump might be happy about one poll that puts him one point ahead, but perhaps he should take a look at this Moody’s Analytics model. The model, which has correctly predicted the winner of every presidential race since 1980, predicts that Clinton will win next week. More specifically, the model forecasts that she’ll take 332 electoral votes, while Trump will receive 206. Swing states Ohio, Pennsylvania, Colorado and Florida are all set for Democratic victories, according to the model, which is based on three economic factors and three political factors.

By the way - that is a huge margin in recent American politics. An ass kicking.

I keep reading that and hope it's true. But there has not been an election like this in a long time. Also, the entire political landscape in the West is changing, and I think it will be increasingly difficult to predict outcomes as a sizeable share people will increasingly go for options they would not want admit publicly.

you still don't get it RP.  These are both despicable humans.  One of them has been anointed.  Tittle tattle, revelations, gossip and huge exposed facts are not going to change it, no matter how much you want it changed.  Sometimes stomping your foot and bawling just doesn't work.  This is one of those times.

JWfQvca.gif

• Upvote 1

I'll attempt an answer as an Englishman living in America. I became a US citizen in the summer and plan to vote in the election.

Genuine question, what do you think the United States will be like under Trump?

I think there will be more hatred. His rhetoric seems to rely on a 'them' and 'us' sort of schtick, whether he's talking about Mexicans, illegal immigrants, trade deals, Muslims, the Republicans who want nothing to do with him or whatever you care to mention. Trump seems born to divide people. Governing well requires nuance and compromise, and Trump doesn't strike me as the sort who can do that.

What would be the worst thing(s) about it? Would there be anything good at all about it?

The potentially good things would be a stated willingness to talk. So for example, Hillary seems intent on a reckoning with Russia, whereas Trump has said he'd like to talk. Obviously this is just what he said. Perhaps the talks would make it worse again. Or perhaps he didn't mean it when he said he would talk. But if taken at face value and he talks to other leaders in good faith, that could be a good thing.

The second potentially good thing (which I don't for one second believe would happen) would be taking a look at monetary policy, and in particular the Federal Reserve. In one of Trumps earlier speeches or interviews, he mentioned the Federal Reserve but he hasn't said a thing since. If he was willing to disband the Federal Reserve and put responsibility for printing money back into the hands of elected and accountable government (the Federal Reserve is, I believe, composed of 6 private banks predominantly backed by enormously wealthy families - and without going all conspiracy theory here, they wield enormous global control too) and the idea of government of the people, by the people and for the people is significantly undermined, to my mind at least, by the Federal Reserve.

So, if Trump will talk to Putin and that situation calms down; and if Trump would disband the Federal Reserve and reset monetary policy in keeping with the Constitution, that would be two enormously good things that could happen. I won't hold my breath, mind.

What would the World be like with Trump as president?

Probably more hate filled. See the whole 'them' and 'us' thing above. There could also be some unforetold repercussions that might make things worse than we can imagine, as he has a thin skin, a fast mouth and a moral compass that is sorely lacking.

How would it be different if Hillary was president?

I think the world will be about the same as now. America will continue to meddle in the Middle East and beyond in an effort to secure its status as top dog for the next century. This will mean more wars, shady dealings, hypocrisy and all the rest of it. I expect all of that. The one main unpredictable downside is how bad it would get between America and Russia and China. I'd like to think sense will prevail, as if America and Russia get into conflict in a meaningful way - and bad as it is, I don't mean the sort of proxy skirmishing we see in Syria now - then all bets are off. China are also not to be messed with. Economically they are close to surpassing America in terms of GDP, and while they are still behind militarily by a good few years yet, I get the sense that they are catching up fast, and they are not happy with American interference on their patch all around the South China Sea. Hillary is a known warmonger. But I'd like to think sense will prevail and the bigger stuff won't actually happen, because that would be WWIII and at that point everyone loses.

As for domestically, if elected I think Hillary will have a one term Presidency that will be beset by problems. There is a movement afoot to impeach her. It will probably fail, but she will be pecked to death along the way and probably won't get much done. If the Affordable Care Act is strengthened and not repealed, and if college tuition is waived for a majority of families, per outcome of working with Bernie Sanders in an effort to pacify many of his supporters, then I'd be happy with that.

• Upvote 1