You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

53 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Nothing claimed in that tweet is untrue.  Labour had lost votes at every successive election for 20 years and were deemed so unelectable that May thought she could ignore them and use the election to strengthen her hand in the parliamentary Conservative Party. ("Crush The Saboteurs!")  Despite shenanigans in the Labour Party, with people diverting campaign resources to protect safe Centrist seats, rather than to win new seats, the leak of the Manifesto - which promised a break from the same shite we'd had for decades - boosted support for Labour and cost May her majority.

The point of that tweet is that the kind of policies which always show well in opinion polls (progressive taxation to tackle inequality, nationalisation of utilities, an end to NHS privatisation, etc.) can also do well at General Elections.

Do you deny that?

That tweet and accompanying graphic represent the worst type of disingenuous politician's spiel, and to defend it, and continue to defend it, and say that it's all true reflects badly on you IMO. 

The point of that tweet, even by yours and Momentum's terms, is meaningless. Labour lost both elections. I'll say that one more time: Labour under Corbyn lost both elections. And they lost to a party that delivered austerity, promised cuts to public services, privatisation, tax cuts for the wealthy. increased homelessness, foodbanks and poverty. Doing well at elections just isn't enough when the party promising the exact opposite does even better. 

8 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

That tweet and accompanying graphic represent the worst type of disingenuous politician's spiel, and to defend it, and continue to defend it, and say that it's all true reflects badly on you IMO. 

The point of that tweet, even by yours and Momentum's terms, is meaningless. Labour lost both elections. I'll say that one more time: Labour under Corbyn lost both elections. And they lost to a party that delivered austerity, promised cuts to public services, privatisation, tax cuts for the wealthy. increased homelessness, foodbanks and poverty. Doing well at elections just isn't enough when the party promising the exact opposite does even better. 

in fairness.

doesnt that say more about the fucking morons who inhabit this country,than anything else?

I often find when you challenge these fuck nuggets who call Corbyn a "Marxist",they are unable to name 1 of his policies.

12 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

in fairness.

doesnt that say more about the fucking morons who inhabit this country,than anything else?

I often find when you challenge these fuck nuggets who call Corbyn a "Marxist",they are unable to name 1 of his policies.

Of course, but they are also morons that have a vote and help decide elections. To bury your heads in the sand and they 'that's not how it should be, so I'll carry on as if it isn't' is a hallmark of the left in this country.

I'm also pointing out that the argument that it's ok to be 'electable' (even without being elected), and 'doing well' isn't the winning argument some think it is when the other side can point to what they delivered and promised and did better than doing well and were elected. Would it be fair for someone to say that austerity, hostile environments, fucking over the poor etc have all been vindicated as people elected the party that ran on those tickets?

41 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Of course, but they are also morons that have a vote and help decide elections. To bury your heads in the sand and they 'that's not how it should be, so I'll carry on as if it isn't' is a hallmark of the left in this country.

I'm also pointing out that the argument that it's ok to be 'electable' (even without being elected), and 'doing well' isn't the winning argument some think it is when the other side can point to what they delivered and promised and did better than doing well and were elected. Would it be fair for someone to say that austerity, hostile environments, fucking over the poor etc have all been vindicated as people elected the party that ran on those tickets?

we have a serf life mentality in this country.Cameron,a millionaire,was telling people they should work for nothing,and the bootlickers still voted them in.

approx  30 odd % of the electorate would vote tory if you stuck them in a concentration camps.

Whoever the labour leader is..blair,brown,corbyn,starmer ..thats what they are up against.

and short of closing down the mail and the rag,I dont know how you challenge that. 

18 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

This is what winning looks like to a cultist: losing two elections in the space of two years, and giving the country another seven years of Tory government. 

Utterly fucking deluded.

Everything that they have stated is accurate.

No leader could have lead the Labour party to victory in 2019 whilst standing on a second referendum platform. 59 out of the 60 seats they lost were in leave voting areas.

In hindsight, even if  Labour had gone in a different direction and somehow scraped a victory in 2019, the covid pandemic would have destroyed Corbyn anyway. Even if they'd done a better job of handing it (and it's difficult to see how they could have been much worse!) every single covid death would have been blamed on Corbyn personally and the media would have made sure he was driven out of office within 12 months.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Saying that facts are true reflects badly on me, in your opinion.

What does that say about your opinion?

7 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I would also add it is a lot more difficult to win when your own side is continuously working for the other team, irrespective of actual policies.

It works both ways though. The likes of Momentum spend about 10× more man hours slagging of Starmer than they do the Tories. 

The double standards are what piss me off.

Corbyn's son worked for McDonnell, Abbott was his ex bird, McClusky was banging Corbyn's chief of staff. Corbyn, Milne and Lansman all went to private schools. Abbott had her kid in a private school. Momentum was a shadow organisation formed with personal loyalty to one man and one man only, and his anointed successor and used all its resources to help her win, including electorate information the other candidates couldn't access, and she still couldnt win.

Corbyn was made leader with a huge influx to the Labour Party of non members, who promptly left when he was ousted. 

He's also the single most rebellious MP in parliament who's never held nor sought a ministerial post where he could have actually made policy. He chose instead to try and reshape the party, a party which had values he'd clearly never fully shared.

Yet it is sir Keith of starmer branded the insurgent and the head of a cabal of posh twats. It's bonkers.

Momentum is a rich person's view of what poor people want. Poor people want jobs, houses, health, schools. You win their vote by convincing them the reason they don't have those things is because of something simple - migrants, the EU etc, rather than a centuries' old social injustice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It works both ways though. The likes of Momentum spend about 10× more man hours slagging of Starmer than they do the Tories. 

The double standards are what piss me off.

Corbyn's son worked for McDonnell, Abbott was his ex bird, McClusky was banging Corbyn's chief of staff. Corbyn, Milne and Lansman all went to private schools. Abbott had her kid in a private school. Momentum was a shadow organisation formed with personal loyalty to one man and one man only, and his anointed successor and used all its resources to help her win, including electorate information the other candidates couldn't access, and she still couldnt win.

Corbyn was made leader with a huge influx to the Labour Party of non members, who promptly left when he was ousted. 

He's also the single most rebellious MP in parliament who's never held nor sought a ministerial post where he could have actually made policy. He chose instead to try and reshape the party, a party which had values he'd clearly never fully shared.

Yet it is sir Keith of starmer branded the insurgent and the head of a cabal of posh twats. It's bonkers.

Momentum is a rich person's view of what poor people want. Poor people want jobs, houses, health, schools. You win their vote by convincing them the reason they don't have those things is because of something simple - migrants, the EU etc, rather than a centuries' old social injustice. 

You repeat the incorrect statement that Corbyn only won the leadership election because of an influx of new members, this is just not correct. I have posted the figures for the election results numerous times, but either you have not seen them or refuse to accept them. There is obviously no point posting them again.

Whilst Corbyn had major disagreements with the leadership and direction he felt the party was going, I do not recall a single time when he, or the left insurgents, refused to say they wanted a Labour government or worked against a Labour government being formed.

People seem obsessed with Momentum, an organisation I do not and have never liked, as if it is the only organisation within the Labour party that supports a certain part of the broad church. 

To imply Momentum don't like Starter and call him names is somewhat equivalent to M.P.s and Labour officials within Labour H.Q. continually working against the leadership before and during an election campaign is also rather silly IMO.

• Upvote 3

Good post Scooby, the actions of those fucking snide, back stabbing shithouse MPs, whose actions led to a far right Tory government, simply aren't comparable to what is/was essentially a slightly misguided social media pressure group. One that currently has no political influence. Nor do any of the various, student group esque alternative media outlets. 

Lots of the new members who left were just former members or young people who had finally seen a reason to be interested in politics. 

It's profoundly depressing they've gone now. A generation completely fucking lost as they witness some of the least inspiring politics, and politicians, to have ever existed.

Margaret Hodge on telly today joking around with Iain Duncan Smith. Yeah, great gear, please let me hand out the flyers. The only hope there is that the Labour Party is lying about almost everything they say to get 27% of the Telegraph readership to vote for them. Because if this is what they actually are... fucking hell. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Good post Scooby, the actions of those fucking snide, back stabbing shithouse MPs, whose actions led to a far right Tory government, simply aren't comparable to what is/was essentially a slightly misguided social media pressure group. One that currently has no political influence. Nor do any of the various, student group esque alternative media outlets. 

Lots of the new members who left were just former members or young people who had finally seen a reason to be interested in politics. 

It's profoundly depressing they've gone now. A generation completely fucking lost as they witness some of the least inspiring politics, and politicians, to have ever existed.

Margaret Hodge on telly today joking around with Iain Duncan Smith. Yeah, great gear, please let me hand out the flyers. The only hope there is that the Labour Party is lying about almost everything they say to get 27% of the Telegraph readership to vote for them. Because if this is what they actually are... fucking hell. 

Sipper will be along to call you a communist shill any moment now.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Amen!

• 4 weeks later...

The deep political insight of a future leader of the Labour Party. 

Wes is also author of one of the great political autobiographies of the century. 'Two pony's, a mother, and a pickled onion sandwich' in all good charity shops for 50p. 

47 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The deep political insight of a future leader of the Labour Party. 

Wes is also author of one of the great political autobiographies of the century. 'Two pony's, a mother, and a pickled onion sandwich' in all good charity shops for 50p. 

Funny, two cheeks of the same arse is how I'd describe the Vermin and Starmer's Labour.

Or Wes and a Pigs Hole.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck me he gets shout does Corbs. He's written a piece for a heavy metal magazine now. 

https://www.kerrang.com/the-government-must-act-now-to-protect-grassroots-music-venues-an-open-letter-from-jeremy-corbyn?s=09

First draft of his campaign poster for his campaign as an independent in North London. I'm not sure on this.

20240131_160914.jpg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...