You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most over rated band ever....

withnail71

Ive started listening to absolute radio recently, and they play The Clash quite often. I've tried to understand the hype surrounding The Clash , but i just don't get it. Average lyrics, shit vocals, shit tunes.Who gets your vote ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Ive started listening to absolute radio recently, and they play The Clash quite often. I've tried to understand the hype surrounding The Clash , but i just don't get it. Average lyrics, shit vocals, shit tunes.Who gets your vote ? 

Out of all the bands in the world, you choose The Clash as the most overrated?

Not only are The Clash ace and you are massively wrong, but The Clash embodied the style, culture and the sound of a generation, a disaffected generation.

You could've chosen any number of knicker wetting no mark, million selling cunts who have copied someone elses sound and/or done cover versions, badly of other more influential bands songs and yet you choose The Clash?

Terrible failing scenes.

• Upvote 5

Radiohead - Boring dirge. A couple of decent songs.

Mumford & Sons - woeful.

The Smiths - bland. Morrisey is a massive knob head too.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - used to be good. Absolutely woeful live.

Oasis - by no means a bad band. But, Liam Gallagher's voice was never that great. And, that they made the total of two half decent albums in their whole career is quite telling.

Radiohead

Mumford & Sons

The Smiths

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Oasis

The Smiths? The Smiths? The Smiths are overrated? The Smiths that spoke to a generation and broke down boundaries, whose music is as important now as it was in 1985?

I didn't realise what a terrible place this is.

This is Hell without the whores, Whisky, Hendrix and Lemmy.

I'm grieving for a GF lost.

You could've said U2. No arguments. Guns N Roses. OK. Coldplay definitely, I'll give you that one. But The Smiths?

Carvalho Diablo, set the Wolves on this man.

• Upvote 4

Someone said Oasis- wait till sailor boy sees that. His wrath will be huge.

I think most music now a days is overrated. I don't listen to music as a choice as it just doesn't do anything for me. I can appreciate good songs and enjoy all sorts in the right setting but it's all a bit shit in my opinion!

Obviously all a matter of taste, but I find the longevity and scale of success of The Stones bewildering. I'm not saying they're shit, mind. Just that I can't understand how they got or stayed so huge.

• Upvote 2

Whole heap of neg this thread.

The Stones is a good call, especially as they haven't done anything relevant for 40 years, but prior to that they were good.  Most heavy rock/metal leaves me cold, but I wouldn't say Led Zeppelin were over-rated.

Good shout, The Clash were fucking awful yet there's a whole army of people who seem to think they were amazing.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Whole heap of neg this thread.

The Stones is a good call, especially as they haven't done anything relevant for 40 years, but prior to that they were good.  Most heavy rock/metal leaves me cold, but I wouldn't say Led Zeppelin were over-rated.

I would argue that 'Doom and Gloom' their last single in 2013 is a rip-snorter, but it's all about the feeling with the Stones. they just cheer me up and I admire their refusal to fuck off

Good shout, The Clash were fucking awful yet there's a whole army of people who seem to think they were amazing.

I loved Combat Rock then and always will. like their more dub and groove based exploits.

a record collection only impresses the person who owns it. i know that because I read it on the back of a matchbox