You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Case Scenario Roleplay - finishing 4th in the league

Gym Beglin

Strongly disagree with this. The Europa league is a second rate competition. By being in it we would have the whole Thursday/Sunday thing to deal with. There is research available showing that teams suffer from European hangovers in their league games. By not being in it this season we have a better chance of qualifying for CL.

Europa would give us the chance to really use the squad and give some of our younger fringe players the minutes they need to develop rather than sitting on the bench like a number of them are doing at the moment. It would give some of the older fringe players the chance to play tehmselves into form and challenge for a first XI spot anbd making the first team better.

Europa would give us more money to spend on players to improve the team. Under the new Premier League FFP rules, wage increases from the new TV deal are limited at £4m a year, unless you increase revenues from other sources, then you can go above the £4m limit. That means that even if we have funds available to spend on transfers, we may not be able to spend it all as you are limited by wage increase amounts. As we are not in Europa this season, getting in next season would give us maybe another £10m in prize money, TV money and ticket sales that we could put towards wages for 2 or 3 top class players. 

As Xerxes says, it would give our less experienced players a chance to getused to playing European footy as well as perhaps playing twice a week.

Being in Europe would make us a more attrative proposition for potential signings.

Finally, from 2015, the winners of the Europa will qualify for the Champions League.

• Upvote 1

Europa would give us the chance to really use the squad and give some of our younger fringe players the minutes they need to develop rather than sitting on the bench like a number of them are doing at the moment. It would give some of the older fringe players the chance to play tehmselves into form and challenge for a first XI spot anbd making the first team better.

Europa would give us more money to spend on players to improve the team. Under the new Premier League FFP rules, wage increases from the new TV deal are limited at £4m a year, unless you increase revenues from other sources, then you can go above the £4m limit. That means that even if we have funds available to spend on transfers, we may not be able to spend it all as you are limited by wage increase amounts. As we are not in Europa this season, getting in next season would give us maybe another £10m in prize money, TV money and ticket sales that we could put towards wages for 2 or 3 top class players.

As Xerxes says, it would give our less experienced players a chance to getused to playing European footy as well as perhaps playing twice a week.

Being in Europe would make us a more attrative proposition for potential signings.

Finally, from 2015, the winners of the Europa will qualify for the Champions League.

Taking all of that into account I'd still consider it a failure

I was coming at it from the point of view of 'if we don't get into Champions League, do we want to be in the Europa'.

It would be dissapointing, but better to be in it than not in Europe at all.

Yeah that's fair enough. I just think, after the start we've had, to not qualify for the champions league this season would set us back years compared to our rivals.

Europa would give us more money to spend on players to improve the team. Under the new Premier League FFP rules, wage increases from the new TV deal are limited at £4m a year, unless you increase revenues from other sources, then you can go above the £4m limit. That means that even if we have funds available to spend on transfers, we may not be able to spend it all as you are limited by wage increase amounts. As we are not in Europa this season, getting in next season would give us maybe another £10m in prize money, TV money and ticket sales that we could put towards wages for 2 or 3 top class players. 

I agree with a lot of what you say.  However, I think the financial incentives and other advantages you mention are outweighed by the impact participating in the Europa League can have on the domestic campaign, namely playing on Thursday/Sunday and the European hangover effect. 

Based on what?

Rodgers great history from knock out games?

Rodgers is doing well. He is a young manager who is up and coming. He has made mistakes and will continue to do so. But don't overlook what is right in front of your eyes. We are second in the league at this point in time. For years we've languished in 7th/8th and been also-rans. Rodgers is trying to break free of that level and build something up that will serve us for years to come. It's a hard job but he certainly has my support. Constructive criticism is more than fair, and he's not beyond that, but I would invite you to show a little more respect, if not for the man himself, then at least for the office he holds and the job he has taken on. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with a lot of what you say.  However, I think the financial incentives and other advantages you mention are outweighed by the impact participating in the Europa League can have on the domestic campaign, namely playing on Thursday/Sunday and the European hangover effect. 

Think we've got a squad big enough, especially with a couple more signings that I am sure we will make, to put a strong team out in the Europa and not play the majority of our first XI. At least for the group stages anyway.

We've got players like Kelly, Illori, Allen, Alberto, Sterling and Aspas who aren't getting a game even now, then you've got the likes of Suso, Wisdom, Robinson and Borini to come back from their loans. Chuck in whichever CB out of the 4 isn't starting and we've got a full outfield 10 with a player in each position. Include say 3 new signings, who either go into the first XI meaning someone else drops down, or they are on the fringe of the first team and cna play in the Europa, and I'd say we've got a decent team that is good enough to beat a lot of the teams in the Europa.

• Downvote 1

Rodgers is doing well. He is a young manager who is up and coming. He has made mistakes and will continue to do so. But don't overlook what is right in front of your eyes. We are second in the league at this point in time. For years we've languished in 7th/8th and been also-rans. Rodgers is trying to break free of that level and build something up that will serve us for years to come. It's a hard job but he certainly has my support. Constructive criticism is more than fair, and he's not beyond that, but I would invite you to show a little more respect, if not for the man himself, then at least for the office he holds and the job he has taken on. 

Sorry but that is just stupid.

Are you saying the knockout game we have played uinder Rodgers have been anything than abysmal?

Those are facts, no need to dress them up as anything else, I dont see how its respecting someone to not tell the truth.

Rodgers has done nothing so far to earn my respect and I dont respect positions whatsoever

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This thread is a fucking joke. Finishing fourth and not qualifying for the champions league through the qualifier would still be better than finishing fifth. We would be stopping one of the other teams from playing in it and get more money from the league. I don't get this we need to push for 3rd instead as if that isn't what the club is trying to do. "oh we are going to finish, fourth lets take our foot off the pedal" as if they could do that to finish fourth anyway. It just makes no sense at all.

The argument that not playing in the Europa league at all might be better is understandable but absolutely as stupid at the same time. The club has no choice in it. We have to push for the top 4 to improve. We can't exactly say lets just fuck it off and finish 8th because we will get beat in the qualifier. It's a fucking car crash of a thread. To top it off we've now got Code in here boring the arse off everyone running the same repetitive shite points he's been putting in every other post since we got knocked out the league cup last year.

• Upvote 2

Because we're quite likely to finish lower than 4th?

Who cares? As long as we're up there for 37 rounds of the season does it really matter if we finish outside the top four?

As a fan I will get much more enjoyment out of being in the top positions all season and then finishing 5th than I would if we were in 5th all season and then finished top 4.

Isn't that right, code?

Who cares? As long as we're up there for 37 rounds of the season does it really matter if we finish outside the top four?

As a fan I will get much more enjoyment out of being in the top positions all season and then finishing 5th than I would if we were in 5th all season and then finished top 4.

Isn't that right, code?

To be fair to Code, now that we're doing quite well it must be becoming increasingly more difficult for him to hammer absolutely everything the club does.

It's almost as if he has an agenda based on who the manager is and doesn't actually believe a single fucking word of any of the pure shite he posts on here. Its just a theory though, probably doesn't have a shred of truth to it.

• Upvote 1