You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

There seems to be very little balance of opinions when discussing Lucas. He's either deathly shit, or he's one of the best DMs in Europe because of stats. Well, I don't think either of those things are true. He's not deathly shit. He plays his role fairly well, sometimes very well. He can tackle, works hard, plays a simple ball fairly consistently. When he's the only DM available, that means he's important to us because we need somebody to do that role.

However, I can't see he's anywhere near being a top player in that position. He lacks many of the physical attributes to be a top player in that position. Height, strength, pace, and he's generally not very mobile. He offers very little in forward play anyway, but he doesn't have the engine to get up and down the field at pace.

In my opinion, he's a decent player but quite far off being a very good player.

There seems to be very little balance of opinions when discussing Lucas. He's either deathly shit' date=' or he's one of the best DMs in Europe because of stats. Well, I don't think either of those things are true. He's not deathly shit. He plays his role fairly well, sometimes very well. He can tackle, works hard, plays a simple ball fairly consistently. When he's the only DM available, that means he's important to us because we need somebody to do that role.

However, I can't see he's anywhere near being a top player in that position. He lacks many of the physical attributes to be a top player in that position. Height, strength, pace, and he's generally not very mobile. He offers very little in forward play anyway, but he doesn't have the engine to get up and down the field at pace.

In my opinion, he's a decent player but quite far off being a very good player.[/quote']

Completely agree

A good player to have but not a pstchbon the top DM in football. He gives away far to many free kicks around the area that are not necessary. A better player would have cut out the pass or got a better tackle in.Id like a more mobile player in there with Gerrard personally.

"More mobile/stronger/more aggressive"

I'd settle for someone just better personally. I mean I'd take someone as good as Didi used to be, though he wasn't faster or more mobile than Lucas is. Alonso wasn't more mobile or more aggressive either but I'd take him back.

Gerrard-Alonso would be a disaster imo.

Neither have the legs to contain a attacking midfield.

Mascherano was perfect, he keots thungs simple but had the pace to get around thr pitch and cover the fullbacks if they pushed on.He must have been a nightmare to play against as he was always there bever giving players time but he wasnt the headless chicken that Momo could be.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The reason why Alonso worked so well for us is because he coupled his own great positioning and passing with the superb DM capabilities of Mascherano. If we could add somebody with more pace, mobility, all that stuff, then Gerrard can play the Alonso role for the next four years.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Apart from selecting players from our recent history, who would the doubters prefer?

Realistic signings or just anybody? Shall I do it alphabetically, by nation, or by age?

So how are Allen and Sahin working out? Pretty sure i was told the inferior Lucas would lose his place to these midfield dynamos. Oh look, he's seen them both off comfortably to retain his place.

I find there are two types of fan when it comes to discussing Lucas. Let me explain! There are people who have an actual clue and appreciate his importance to team on the one hand. And on the other there are a multitude of gibbering fucking spackers.

Gerrard-Alonso would be a disaster imo.

Neither have the legs to contain a attacking midfield.

Mascherano was perfect' date=' he keots thungs simple but had the pace to get around thr pitch and cover the fullbacks if they pushed on.He must have been a nightmare to play against as he was always there bever giving players time but he wasnt the headless chicken that Momo could be.[/quote']

If you're good Kal-El, you're good. Busquets Xavi and Iniesta are perhaps less 'physical' than most PL teams but they arguably form the best midfield in the world.

United walked the league with Carrick and Scholes/Giggs in CM. it worked for them because they're good enough. I'm sure it's an advantage to have those physical qualities.. but I find the calling for a 'physical beast' to start alongside Gerrard is way too simplistic.

A midfield of Alonso and Gerrard would dominate most teams. The sight of Kaka singlehandedly destroying our team perhaps clouded your memory, but he did that to every single team Milan faced. The introduction of Didi put a stop to that, but again Didi was probably one of the most unfit and slowest players in Europe then. He just happened to be a fantastic footballer.

You seem to think because people don't think he's a fab as you do that people must hate him. I think he's a lovely guy, and it's a pleasure to have him at the club. I would be very happy if he saw his career out at the club, and even better if he stayed on as a great mentor, coach or manager. Why do people on here act as though they're 14?

An interesting interpretation of my post/s.

I think he's quite a decent player, and a good character to have at the club.

Surprised you took my post so seriously. I just find discussions about Lucas to be quite funny as they usually don't have anything to do with how good a player he is.

Who signed him, who he is perceived to have replaced, and a poster's previous opinion on him, usually moulding the conversation into something similar to one of the GF's religious threads.

So how are Allen and Sahin working out? Pretty sure i was told the inferior Lucas would lose his place to these midfield dynamos. Oh look' date=' he's seen them both of comfortably to retain his place.

I find there are two types of fan when it comes to discussing Lucas. Let me explain! There are people who have an actual clue and appreciate his importance to team on the one hand. And on the other there are a multitude of gibbering fucking spackers.[/quote']

He is a good player Lucas and deserving of a place in the side. He is however not world class and can be improved upon. I don't believe it's a priority however. Fair assessment?

So how are Allen and Sahin working out? Pretty sure i was told the inferior Lucas would lose his place to these midfield dynamos.

Neither Allen nor Sahin is a defensive midfielder. And Allen isn't very good.

We're talking about "Mascherano's position" in the team (currently occupied by Lucas), not "Alonso's" (currently occupied by Gerrard).

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So how are Allen and Sahin working out? Pretty sure i was told the inferior Lucas would lose his place to these midfield dynamos. Oh look, he's seen them both off comfortably to retain his place.

I find there are two types of fan when it comes to discussing Lucas. Let me explain! There are people who have an actual clue and appreciate his importance to team on the one hand. And on the other there are a multitude of gibbering fucking spackers.

How's Sahin working out? Brilliantly. Unfortunately, it's for the CL finalists and not us. Allen isn't a defensive midfielder, even if he did win MotM against the likes of Arsenal and Man City in that position.

Who signed him' date=' who he is perceived to have replaced, and a poster's previous opinion on him, usually moulding the conversation into something similar to one of the GF's religious threads.[/quote']

Well he was signed by the same guy who signed Alonso and Mascherano, also the same guy who won us the CL, so I can't see how it could be used against Lucas.

He replaced the aforementioned players, because they wanted to leave for greener pastures and in spite of that he was part of the midfield who held their own against City and Chelsea dominating the likes of Yaya Toure and Mikel/Ramires along the way.

He hasn't got any competition for DM. If he gets injured we are fucked. Also, I think if we brought in half decent competition for him, many people on here sucking him off would soon see that as a DM, he isn't really that good. He is ok, he will do etc but he isn't a Mascherano or a Didi by any stretch.

For me, us getting a DM seemed like a priority for me this summer.

I do love Lucas though. Lucas, I love you man.

Does it really matter? Who played those positions when United walked the league last year?

I ahte this argument mate.,we aren't set up like Utd. Look at arenal, they play an attacking formation like us but have been fucked since vieira left as they haven't replaced him. song was ok I guess but they haven't won zip since vieira went.

every team needs a beast in the middle IMO.

He is a good player Lucas and deserving of a place in the side. He is however not world class and can be improved upon. I don't believe it's a priority however. Fair assessment?

I'd describe him as better that "good".

All players can be improved upon. Gerrard can be improved upon. But it's not about having eleven world class megastars. Sometimes you need selfless players, players who will play without an ego, players who will compliment the players around them. Like Lucas. He's perfect for us under Rodgers, but some people will never realise it because they can't join the dots in their own minds and think they're always right. Many of these people wasted their summer by repeatedly telling the rest of us that we needed a big hard bastard DM. For some strange reason they often want this rampaging galloping maniac to be from Africa.

Does it really matter? Who played those positions when United walked the league last year?

United won the league last year with an improbably poor midfield (but a strong attack and defence). They were understandably desperate to change their midfield this summer, in case you didn't notice.

I ahte this argument mate.' date='we aren't set up like Utd. Look at arenal, they play an attacking formation like us but have been fucked since vieira left as they haven't replaced him. song was ok I guess but they haven't won zip since vieira went.

every team needs a beast in the middle IMO.[/quote']

Vieira was just an unbelievable player who was helped by his physical attributes.. At the same time I could provide an example of Madrid dominating Europe with Helguera and Redondo at CM who were far from beastly. Barca a few years ago. Bayern at the moment.

United won the league last year with an improbably poor midfield (but a strong attack and defence). They were understandably desperate to change their midfield this summer' date=' in case you didn't notice.[/quote']

Cos they needed to replace Scholes?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Cos they needed to replace Scholes?

They offered £40m for Khedira, didn't they? It doesn't matter anyway, United play a different game to us, which involved bombing it down the wing.