You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Champions League return a must (ESPN article)

dave u

Scouting networks still cost money, and we're better placed than many to put in place a system that should find a few gems. There's talent out there, and not all of it can be hoovered up by the CL clubs.

People mentioned Dortmund, well Lewandowski's a case in point, offered to Blackburn for peanuts. The key may be in taking a few risks rather than just aiming for the most obviously talented youngsters. Newcastle picked up Ba and Ben Arfa when no big clubs would go near either. Wigan aim their scouts further afield, in less high profile countries and, though they haven't found too many world beaters they remained competitive on a shoe-string and look unlikely to make a loss.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fairly obvious why Rodgers was hired.

1) He's a coach first and foremost

Therefore we can buy players and through coaching and tactics he can improve those players.

2) He plays an attractive brand of football.

If we are playing an attractive brand of football people will want to watch us and that sells tickets and merchandise.

3) He is young, hungry and has fresh ideas.

So the manager and club can grow together rather than have a been there, done that manager who may not be as motivated and may not be it for the long haul.

FSG are going to put their hands in their own pocket so they have hired a manager who will hopefully be able to identify players with potential and have the coaching skills to make those players realise their potential but that will take patient from the fans and few fans are willing to give that patience (which is understandable)

I think it's fairly obvious why Rodgers was hired.

A fair summary, to which should be added:

4. He was about the only appointment whom Ayre and FSG could outrank in PL experience.

5. He would not have got a similar appointment elsewhere so owes his chance to FSG- he can't "threaten" to leave, he is a placeman like Ayre.

FSG don't like people working with them who will challenge them, they favour placemen who owe their jobs and careers to them.

Really? They have built a successful business careers on hiring 'yes' men? Does this also ring true in their baseball exploits?

You don't half speak some shit sometimes, xerxes.

Carroll, Babel, Aquilani, Borrini, we haven't been shy about taking risks.

They may not have worked out - i still hold out hope for "Borrini" - but four young internationals plying their trade in prominent leagues is hardly the think-outside-the-box approach i was alluding to; i suspect you knew that anyway though.

If anyone is interested, I've uploaded a bunch of new games on Sporcle, one of which asks you to name every team Liverpool have played in Europe since they first qualified. My username is right beneath the title so you can see my other games too (click on 'iDom' and select the 'Contributed Games' tab, which allows you to list the games in different ways such as most recent, most played, more favourited etc). You can even link it to you Facebook, Twitter etc. So have a go, and spread the word.

Teams Liverpool have played in Europe Quiz by iDom - Sporcle Games & Trivia

EDIT: You don't need to spell out the full names of most teams. One word names are full names. To give you an example, you can type 'Gladbach' instead of trying to remember how to spell their full name!