You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Heard Bellew on the radio saying he's struggled to make weight at LH for years, so is now gonna move up to Cruiser. Probably more to do with knowing he's outclassed in that division. He also said he's already put a stone on since the weigh in without even eating or drinking any shite. Next time we see him he may have some more muscle then

He always looks tiny for his weight 

Possibly upset of the year, Chris John just retired in his corner and lost his unbeaten record, as well as the paper title he's had for 10 years.

Ah good, that unbeaten record really annoyed me.

The Japanese fighter Murata won earlier today, his second pro fight, he was brilliant in the Olympics one of my favourites, a big tough Super middle who just beats up people. Hes perfect for the Pro game, definitely one to watch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20131206/guillermo-rigondeaux-joseph-agbeko/

NEW YORK -- Guillermo Rigondeaux settled into a corner booth at B.B. King's this week, an Armani sweater on his back, a defiant look on his face. It wasn't supposed to be like this. A decisive win over Nonito Donaire last April was supposed to springboard Rigondeaux to boxing's next level. Instead, Rigondeaux has been idle, an undefeated unified titleholder without an opponent, a toxic asset thanks to a style that can beat most but entertain few.

"Out of all the elite fighters I've worked with," Bob Arum said, "I can't think of one more difficult to promote."

In a sport stocked with bloodthirsty fans, Rigondeaux (12-0) has become a pariah. His skills are unquestioned. Slick, with fluid technique, Rigondeaux possesses pinpoint accuracy and flawless footwork. He has boxed circles around all of his opponents since turning pro, which he did after a decorated amateur career highlighted by a pair of Olympic gold medals.

Against Donaire -- a popular 122-pound titleholder who ranked high on most credible pound-for-pound lists -- Rigondeaux was brilliant. He worked behind his jab, landed thudding power shots and frustrated the aggressive Donaire by refusing to stand and trade. Yet in the aftermath of the bout, the narrative became that the entertaining Donaire wanted a fight but that the defensive-minded Rigondeaux was content to win without engaging in one.

"It was a clear win," Rigondeaux said through a translator. "I beat the hell out of him. The public doesn't understand that the art of boxing is to hit without being hit. They want to see a bar fight or a brawl; go to the local pub."

If there was a consistent message from Rigondeaux during a 15-minute interview with SI.com, it was this: I don't care. I don't care if the public thinks I'm boring. I don't care if HBO needed to be persuaded to bring me back. I don't care about jumping up in weight classes.

"If fighters want a piece of me, they can come to 122 pounds and get it," Rigondeaux said.

"I take everything easy," he added. "I don't let [criticism] get to me. I can't let it get the best of me. I just don't listen to people. I don't let anyone affect my style. Whoever wants to step in the ring with me, I'll fight. Anyone at 122. Let them come to 122, and I'll fight anybody."

To some, Rigondeaux's attitude is refreshing. Purists argue that the art of boxing isn't appreciated, that tacticians like Rigondeaux or Bernard Hopkins are overlooked in favor of brawlers willing to engage in a street fight. But boxing is a bottom-line business, and there are two kinds of fighters who attract networks: The kind that mix it up in the ring and the kind that have big personalities out of it.

Rigondeaux is neither, which is what has made him so difficult to get behind.

"Let's be honest, if you look at the fighters today, he belongs at the top of the pound-for-pound list," Arum said. "He's so skilled. If you look at his style, it's not the most scintillating. One thing, he appears like all Cuban athletes to be very arrogant. And there's a language barrier. It's one thing to be arrogant in English. If someone has to translate, it doesn't play as well."

The key to building Rigondeaux, Arum said, is putting him in with opponents who can force him to fight. On Saturday, Rigondeaux will defend his super bantamweight titles against former bantamweight titleholder Joseph Agbeko at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City (HBO, 9:45 p.m.)

"Putting him on an HBO card is not easy," Arum said. "I have to make fights that are very difficult for him. And hopefully he comes through."

While Rigondeaux has expressed indifference towards future opponents, one obviously interests him: Donaire. When asked about Donaire, Rigondeaux becomes animated. He smirks when addressing the shoulder injury Donaire cited after the loss and laughs at the suggestion that it had anything to do with it.

"When he was winning, he wasn't complaining," Rigondeaux said. "When I beat him, he started complaining about all the issues he has. If he will stop crying like a baby and make the weight, I'm happy to fight him again."

For now it's about Agbeko (29-4), a middling contender whom Rigondeaux should walk through. Top Rank and HBO executives will pray he does it with style, with flair, that he submits a performance that will make fans want to see him again.

And Rigondeaux?

"I'm going out there and I will have fun," he said. "It's another day at the office.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20131206/guillermo-rigondeaux-joseph-agbeko/#ixzz2mjwXCPdT

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10082819/why-all-embrace-guillermo-rigondeaux

The longer you hang around boxing, the more you realize how complicated it is. At first it seems as straightforward as a punch in the nose. But it turns out to be a multifaceted ritual that says as much about the spectators as it does the participants. They mirror one another, reflecting the best and worst of the human condition in an ever-shifting cultural mosaic.

[+] Enlargebox_g_klitschko_d1_300x200.jpg
John Phillips/UK Press/Getty ImagesEuropeans have fallen for Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko, but most Americans turn up their noses at the heavyweight brothers' "boring" style.

For example, Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko's immense popularity in Eastern Europe baffles American fans, while the folks who fill football stadiums to watch them box don't understand our lack of enthusiasm. After all, the brothers take their profession very seriously, win on a consistent basis (more often than not by knockout) and are upstanding ambassadors for the sport. What's not to like?

The answer is usually a resounding, "They're boring." But what the critics really mean is, "They are boring us." There is no one-size-fits-all definition of what makes a good fight or a good fighter. It's all a matter of personal preference, a characteristic derived from an intricate mix of nature and nurture that governs what appeals to us -- and what doesn't.

Unfortunately for junior featherweight Guillermo Rigondeaux, who will fight Joseph Agbeko this Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J., he's on the wrong side of North America's current boxing ethos. A maestro in the land of garage bands, the gifted Cuban proves yet again that George Foreman was spot on when he famously said, "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

Guillermo Rigondeaux-Joseph Agbeko

Where: Boardwalk Hall's Adrian Phillips Ballroom, Atlantic City, N.J.
When: Saturday, 9:45 p.m. ET/PT
TV: HBO

There was, however, a time when jazz was all the rage in the land of its birth, a time that happened to coincide with a greater appreciation of the finer aspects of the Manly Art of Defense. That's not to say the Klitschkos would have been a massive hit on the western side of the Atlantic in decades past. But Rigondeaux's graceful art surely would have garnered more approval back when everyone wore a coat and tie to the fights and all the photos were black and white.

Even when I began to attend fights in the mid-1960s, the audience was more attuned to the nuances of the craft. Nobody booed when a boxer made a deft defensive move. There were frequent bursts of applause when, for instance, a fighter who was trapped on the ropes bobbed and weaved under a barrage of blows, then spun away and scampered out of harm's way. It was the same when a boxer adroitly deflected a punch by rolling his shoulder, just as Floyd Mayweather Jr. does today. And therein lies a great irony.

How has a boxer known for his masterful defense and disinclination to take chances become the sport's No. 1 box office star, while Rigondeaux, who possess a similar skill set, struggles to find a receptive audience?

[+] Enlargebox_donaire_rigondeaux_300.jpg
AP Photo/Mary AltafferGuillermo Rigondeaux, right, conducted a virtuoso performance in his April victory over Nonito Donaire ... drawing a collective yawn from most boxing fans.

In Mayweather's case, it comes down to his public persona, which only began to work to his advantage when he decided to emphasize the more ostentatious and flamboyant sides of his character. It struck a chord with a new generation of boxing fans whose values were shaped by a celebrity-obsessed society in which shameless self-promotion and conspicuous displays of wealth aren't only acceptable but are considered de rigueur.

Rigondeaux, on the other hand, seems remote, bordering on morose. Part of that undoubtedly has to do with the language barrier, but it seems unlikely that speaking perfect English would turn Rigo into a captivating figure. All he has going for him is his athleticism and technical expertise, which are rarely enough on their own to transform a consummate boxer into a superstar. By and large, the great ones need something extra to climb to the top of boxing's food chain.

Willie Pep is often cited as an example of a defensive boxer who made it big, but his success wasn't entirely built on fighting during a time when more fans enjoyed the scientific approach. Pep wasn't just the guy who allegedly once won a round without throwing a punch. He glided around the ring in an aesthetically pleasing manner, not only evading most of his opponent's offerings, but also peppering him with a busy array of punches. What made it even better was that "The Will o' the Wisp" wasn't afraid to go on the offensive, confident he could escape any jam in which he might find himself. Pep's something extra: He was fun to watch.

On occasion, a boxer can go in and out of style and, once in a great while, back in again.

A maestro in the land of garage bands, the gifted Guillermo Rigondeaux proves yet again that George Foreman was spot on when he famously said, "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

At his middleweight prime, Bernard Hopkins fought with a measured aggression that saw him dispatch such worthy adversaries as Felix Trinidad, Glen Johnson and John David Jackson in a manner reminiscent of Marvin Hagler. But as Hopkins aged and grew more circumspect, fans wearied of his increasingly cautious style. Sure, he was winning, but his prefight trash talk was usually far more entertaining than the fight itself.

Still, Hopkins persevered and eventually emerged as boxing's favorite curmudgeon/elder statesman, his place in history sealed when he became the oldest fighter to win and then defend a major title. B-Hop's something extra was an obsessive mindset that drove him to outlast his contemporaries and a big mouth that kept us interested even when his fights did not.

What happens inside the ring isn't the only path to popularity. Fans relate to boxers in various ways, and a sense of kinship often creates the strongest bond. It doesn't really matter whether it's a shared ethnicity or calling the same country, city or neighborhood home. There is an instinctive urge to root for one of your own, regardless of other qualifications or lack thereof.

Neither Indonesian featherweight Chris John nor Argentine junior bantamweight Omar Narvaez (of stink-out-The Garden-with-Nonito Donaire infamy) is considered an exciting fighter, but both are beloved on their home turf. In cases like theirs, the something extra is a steady diet of home cooking and understanding that being a big fish in a small pond is sometimes the smartest way to go.

[+] Enlargebox_u_mayweather_alvarez_jv_300x200.jpg
Jayne Kamin-Oncea/USA TODAY SportsRather than asking boxing consumers to invest in his defensive style, Floyd Mayweather Jr., right, simply sells his celebrity.

Although he's arguably the best 122-pounder in the world, Rigo appears to have the deck stacked against him: He's a political refugee unable to take advantage of his natural constituency, boxing in an era when admiration for the subtleties is waning -- and that's just for starters. He also lacks a colorful personality or a gimmick and, to top it off, his matches can be excruciatingly boring to watch.

To a dedicated cadre of fans, Rigondeaux's cerebral style and the precision with which he employs it is a marvel to behold. The problem is that there are nowhere near enough of them to propel him to stardom, and there probably never will be.

Some would question the fairness of the situation, particularly in light of the fact Rigo is a special talent. But that point of view assumes that the ultimate in Darwinian sporting endeavors begins and ends in the ring. The truth is that the struggle to land the big fights can be just as fierce as winning them. It's the kind of contest where everything is in play, and the winners are ultimately those popular enough, for whatever reason, to be the ones who generate the most money.

ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter

Don't miss any of the latest boxing coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

As far as boxing consumers are concerned, it's pretty much the same as buying a new car or a loaf of bread. You spend your money on merchandise you like, and if you prefer Manny Pacquiao to Mayweather and have limited discretionary income, you're going to buy the PacMan pay-per-view.

True, there are some things about this capitalistic system of doing business that rub the wrong way. The reluctance of subscription networks to give fighters in the smaller weight classes a chance to show their stuff is a shortsighted practice and hurts the sport. The trading of favors between power brokers that results in mismatches is another.

Nonetheless, there's a lot to be said for giving people what they want, and if a fighter such as Rigondeaux suffers in the process, it's really no different than a Miley Cyrus concert outselling the opera. It's simply a matter of supply and demand.

To date, the demand for Rigo has been limited, and whether his showing against Agbeko will bolster his brand remains to be seen. Just to be safe, HBO has surrounded Rigondeaux-Agbeko with a trio of 10-rounders, the most anticipated of which is the latest comeback of troubled puncher James Kirkland versus undefeated but untested Glen Tapia.

[+] Enlargebox_g_rigondeaux01jr_300x200.jpg
Kevork Djansezian/Getty ImagesFair or not, Guillermo Rigondeaux is subject to the same Darwinian forces outside the ropes that he has harnessed inside of them.

The entire state of affairs reminds me of what Gene Courtney, then-boxing writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer, said when promoter J. Russell Peltz told him his next card was a doubleheader.

"If you've got a doubleheader," Courtney deadpanned, "it means you don't have a main event."

In the immediate aftermath of Rigo's April victory over Nonito Donaire, Bob Arum confessed that he didn't have any idea how he was going to promote the safety-first technician. But he owed "El Chacal" a fight, and the Agbeko match was apparently the best Top Rank could come up with.

The card seems to be playing second banana to a potentially superior one on Showtime on the same night, and it has the feel of a consolation prize designed to tie up a few loose ends before the New Year. The hope, of course, is that the winners, especially Rigondeaux, will shine brightly enough to enhance their appeal.

But regardless of what happens against Agbeko, when Rigondeaux wakes up on Sunday morning, he will still be subject to boxing's most demanding mistress: the rule of the marketplace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/10500913/Darren-Barker-a-new-man-as-he-prepares-to-defend-IBF-middleweight-belt-against-former-world-champion-Felix-Sturm.html

Whereas most boxers sweat it out on dawn or dusk runs, Barker’s resurgence as an elite level boxer outside the gym involves sessions of yoga, trampolining, swimming and hydrotherapy. That’s what happens when you’ve had two hip replacements at the age of 30.

Barker often jokes that he “was 25 years old with the hips of a 75-year-old”, but after weighing in today in southern Germany at 11st 4.6lb – with Sturm 11st 5lb – the British boxer warned the challenger that he is “fitter than ever”.

And fitness means confidence for the Barnett boxer who had several years troubled with a creaking body through a slew of injuries.

“My hips will never be 100 per cent so it’s about working around it,” Barker told The Daily Telegraph, having had two operations in the last two years.

“I could probably run now – three or four miles at a decent pace – but I'd be in trouble for three or four days after that. I’d be in agony. The joints were misshapen before and ground against each other,” he explained.

Observe Barker in the gym, in training, nonetheless, and you would never guess that he has had hip replacements. “It helps so much when you are in shape physically. It gives you that extra belief in yourself and I’m fitter now than when I won the world title,” he explained.

Barker claimed the IBF crown on a dramatic, emotional night in Atlantic City in August, outpointing the champion, Australian Daniel Geale.

He was knocked down in the sixth round, but was urged to get to his feet, he later revealed, by seeing his brother Gary, also a boxer, who had died in a car crash seven years earlier.

Claiming the world title at the second attempt, having lost to Sergio Martinez two years ago for the World Boxing Council title, now drives Barker to greater glory, to sit amongst a group of elite British middleweights world champions – names like Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Terry Downs, Alan Minter and Randolph Turpin.

Geale was the last man to defeat Sturm (38-3-2) by outworking the German, but the former champion has had a decorated career, having held the World Boxing Association belt between 2007-2012. He also had a points loss to Oscar De La Hoya in 2004 which many believe Sturm should have won.

Sturm is not the busiest fighter, but has heavy, accurate hands, and Barker will have to be on point, move well, and must control the fight with his long, fluent jab.

Barker professes to be in better shape now than when he took the belt from Geale, while Sturm, 34, believes promoter Eddie Hearn and Barker have underestimated him. “I believe I'll beat him clearly. I have great experience in big fights and I'm in fantastic shape," said the German, who held the WBA middleweight title between 2007-2012, earlier this week.

Barker has a rematch clause for a return fight in the UK if the title fight with Sturm goes awry. Hearn and Barker have been honest with anyone asking that the sojourn with the belt to Germany was accepted because there was a better financial deal on the table for Barker, who has a young family.

“Felix Sturm is the mandatory challenger but even if he weren't the mandatory to the IBF belt, we were willing to fight him any

Barker, 31, believes he can also make a statement after his two British rivals, Martin Murray and Matthew Macklin, both went to Germany and failed to take the belt.

Murray was unlucky to finish with a split draw; Macklin also pushed Sturm to the wire, losing on a split points decision.

“I’d like to make a statement obviously where the other two fell short against him,” Barker told Telegraph Sport. “It’d be nice – a lot of people think Macklin did it, but it was a split decision. Murray drew but a lot of people think he did it – and I do as well.”

“Geale outworked Sturm. I’ll look to do the same,” said Barker.

The fight is live on Sky Sports.

------------------------------------------------

A busy card at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, on Saturday night, sees Liam Smith defend the British title against Mark Thompson, a World Boxing Organisation European lightweight clash between Stephen Ormond and Derry Matthews, while rising super flyweight Paul Butler is in a WBO/WBA Intercontinental Super-Flyweight showdown against Ruben Montoya.

Former world cruiserweight champion Enzo Maccarinelli also defends the Commonwealth light-heavyweight title against Courtney Fry.

The card is live and on BoxNation from 7pm

-----------------------------------------------

In Brooklyn, New York, Devon Alexander defends the IBF welterweight title against Shawn Porter, a contest which could have implications for Sheffield’s Kell Brook, who is the sanctioning body’s No 1 challenger. Brook is expected to face the winner to challenge for the IBF world crown at 147lbs in the first quarter of 2014

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10085779/austin-trout-says-ready-rumble-erislandy-lara-not-run

Austin Trout has had a taste of the big fights, and he wants it again, which is what makes his fight with interim junior middleweight titlist Erislandy Lara on Saturday so imperative.

"I'm absolutely excited to get in the fight," Trout said. "I really wanted to fight as soon as I could. I wasn't injured, I wasn't necessarily beat up, but I had to wait for December. So, all that in value then builds up, and I'm ready to take it out on Lara.

Erislandy Lara-Austin Trout

Where: Barclays Center, Brooklyn, N.Y.
When: Saturday, 8 p.m. ET
TV: Showtime

"Somebody has got to get rid of this guy, and I'm happy to be the one to do it. I feel like I'm the only one that can do it, so it's really honorable to be able to get in there and get my belt back at the same time."

Last December, Miguel Cotto selected Trout as an opponent because Cotto wanted a shot at his junior middleweight title. Trout was all too happy to give him the opportunity, went to Cotto's house at Madison Square Garden in New York and outpointed the Puerto Rican star with relative ease. It was the victory that put Trout on the map, even though he had held a world title since early 2011.

Coming off such an impressive victory, Trout got another really big fight when he was tapped by Canelo Alvarez to fight him in a 154-pound unification match in April.

In front of about 40,000 people at the sold-out Alamodome in San Antonio, where Alvarez was the overwhelming crowd favorite, Trout got knocked down in the seventh round of an otherwise highly competitive fight and lost a unanimous decision.

[+] Enlargebox_e_cotto11_300.jpg
Tom Casino/ShowtimeAustin Trout, right, outdueled Miguel Cotto on his own turf in New York last December, a fight that put the New Mexico native on the map.

Now Trout is poised to challenge fellow southpaw technician Lara for his interim belt Saturday night (Showtime, 8 ET) at the Barclays Center in New York on the undercard of the all-Brooklyn showdown between former welterweight and junior welterweight titleholders Zab Judah and Paulie Malignaggi.

Trout would have liked to get back in the ring sooner after losing to Alvarez, but he had a messy split with promoter Greg Cohen. After litigation, the specifics of which Trout declined to go into, he was finally free to fight again and is now working with Golden Boy, although he isn't signed to the company.

"It was hard to not know when you're going to be able to work again," Trout said. "I fell out of work. I felt like I was waiting for my unemployment check, which was not coming any time soon. I'm very happy and proud to say that I'm not with Greg Cohen Promotions. It was the best thing that could happen to my career as this year goes, and I'm just happy to put that all behind me and move forward.

"I'm just happy that it's over. … I'm ready to fight, and that's awesome motivation to whip Lara's ass."

After the loss in April, Trout (26-1, 14 KOs), 28, of Las Cruces, N.M., watched as Alvarez moved on to the fight every boxer wants -- a big-money showdown with pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. Trout watched as Mayweather dominated in a one-sided fight, all the while thinking that, had he been in the ring with Mayweather, he would have fared a lot better than Alvarez.

Tale Of The Tape: Trout-Lara   Trout Lara Age 28 30 Record 26-1 (14 KOs) 18-1-2 (12 KOs) Height 5-foot-9½ 5-foot-9 Reach 72 inches 75 inches Stance Southpaw Southpaw

"Most definitely," Trout said. "Canelo had his best fight in his life when he fought against me, and, in my opinion, I'd give myself maybe a seven or eight [out of 10]. It was definitely not my best, and then an off night for him [against Mayweather]. And that was the No. 1 thing I thought, like, 'Come on, Canelo, you're making us both look bad.' And, two, 'You should have just let me go ahead and get that fight because I sure would have put up a better fight than that.'"

Cotto, whom Trout beat fairly easily, is deciding between two huge money fights, a $10 million-plus offer to fight Alvarez in March or a mid-seven-figures fight against middleweight world champion Sergio Martinez in June.

"I use that as motivation," Trout said. "It's not necessarily the best fighting the best, except the fight with me and Lara fighting each other. But it's more -- I think, really, that we're fighting each other because nobody else wants to fight us. But you know me, I'll take all comers.

"It's the golden rule: You punch, that makes the rule. I can't be bitter about [the big fights for Cotto and Alvarez] because that's something I don't have control over. I've just got to do what I can do with opportunities that come my way, and that's really why I'm going to make the most of this opportunity that's presented itself."

Trout isn't getting an easy opponent in Lara (18-1-2, 12 KOs), a 30-year-old former Cuban amateur standout living and training in Houston. In fact, it's a very evenly matched fight.

ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter

Don't miss any of our wall-to-wall boxing coverage, including live analysis of Saturday's fights. Join »

Lara has faced several quality opponents, and his loss and two draws were all controversial. There were debatable draws with Carlos Molina (who later won a world title) in 2011 and Vanes Martirosyan in a 2012 title eliminator. Lara's majority decision loss to Paul Williams in 2011 was so controversial that, in an unprecedented move, the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board suspended all three judges for their questionable scorecards.

Lara is coming off the most notable victory of his career, a 10th-round stoppage of Alfredo Angulo in June in an action-packed fight in which Lara got dropped twice but got up to win the vacant interim belt.

"This is a very meaningful matchup in this division -- a division, I might add, which is loaded with a lot of good names out there," said Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer.

As good as Trout and Lara both are, Lara has been in no mood to give Trout any credit.

"Austin Trout is an OK fighter," Lara said through a translator. "There's nothing special about him. I feel that he's on his way out. He had his time, and I'm going to prove that. And as far as having a heart, let's see in the ring. I'll show him in the ring who has a heart or not, and we'll decide then.

[+] Enlargebox_angulo_lara1_300.jpg
Tom Hogan/Hoganphotos/Golden Boy PromotionsAustin Trout said Erislandy Lara, right, "didn't want any part of" a war with Alfredo Angulo in June, but Lara got off the mat twice to rally and win by TKO.

"The big difference between Paul Williams and Austin Trout is that Paul Williams has balls. He was a fighter that would attack you and he was aggressive and he would come at you, and he knew how to box, as well. With Austin Trout, he's just a guy that runs."

Trout said he won't run and never has.

"Have you ever seen me run in a fight, as opposed to Erislandy Lara? That's all he does in the ring, so, I mean, he's just talking," Trout said. "I'm not a runner. I box, but I don't run. And I like to fight, which you can't say about him. If you watch my fight, you'll see, I don't run."

In fact, Trout said, Lara is the fighter who is reluctant to engage, citing his brawl with Angulo.

"That war was brought by Angulo. Lara didn't want any part of that war. He was in a war because he had to survive. I think it's hilarious that he says I'm a runner. That's his M.O. He ran from Cuba; he runs in the fight; he's the runner of boxing. So, the title fight will be in my favor.

"Beating him would definitely put my stake [in] as the best in the 154-pound division. I had a little setback in April, and I think Lara's the type of name and opponent that puts me right back into the running for the best."

Derry Mathews plans to flatten Stephen Ormond to help pave the way for a world title shot.

The 30-year-old is determined to land a fight with WBO king Ricky Burns before he retires from boxing in six fights’ time.

Mathews is confident of edging closer to the lightweight champion this weekend by dethroning WBO European title holder Ormond at the ECHO Arena tomorrow night and taking his number 14 ranking with the governing body.

Derry is driven on by the disappointment he felt in January last year when he was stopped by Emiliano Marsili in their clash for the vacant IBO crown. And the Commonwealth title holder is convinced he has the power to compete at the top level.

“I want to get into the mandatory position,” declared Mathews. “I have a little target for myself that by the end of February or March, I will be in the top five or six of the WBO rankings.

“If I had beaten Marsili then I would’ve been in the driving seat for the big fights against the best in the world.

“I came up short that night and I haven’t long left in my career.  I want to get to 50 fights so have got to make the most of these last six fights.  I don’t think there is anyone in Britain apart from Ricky Burns who will go near me.

“I want big names and big fights with people like Michael Katsidis.  People of that calibre.

“Burns is without doubt the best lightweight in the country but I believe that if the right Derry Mathews turns up then I can beat him.  Maybe one of the world champions will pick me as an easy defence.”

He added: “I believe I have the punch to mix it with the best in the world.“I think people in Britain realise that.  And it is OK being a good boxer but you have got to have that knockout power.  I have it in both hands.

“I always hurt people when I land flush on the button.”

Although Mathews has been professional for nearly 11 years he feels he is getting better with age.

And as he heads into his 45th professional contest, the former British lightweight champion is in bullish mood.

“I am getting better times in the gym and feel better in every training camp I go into,” said Mathews. “I’m maturing and know how to handle a fight and the nerves beforehand. 

“I know exactly what my body needs to go through. I have been preparing for this like it’s a big world title fight.

“Stephen lost to Paul Appleby but I think he won that fight.  He is a game fighter and is always going into people’s backyards.  He is a come forward fighter who likes to rough you up.  This is going to  be an exciting fight.

“I expect Stephen to fly at me every round.  His trainer say Stephen will be hypnotised before the fight so he must be worried.

Ah good, that unbeaten record really annoyed me.
The Japanese fighter Murata won earlier today, his second pro fight, he was brilliant in the Olympics one of my favourites, a big tough Super middle who just beats up people. Hes perfect for the Pro game, definitely one to watch.

There's something immensely satisfying about seeing an undefeated record being exposed as a lie. Deontay Wilder and Kell Brook immediately spring to mind as fighters this is going to happen to next year. 

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/12/6/5184346/barker-vs-sturm-preview-and-predictions

Ryan Bivins

Sturm is overdue for another controversial decision. If he doesn't get it I'm beginning to think that Germany just doesn't like him very much anymore. Also, Sturm has a very good left hook to the body. And we saw what Geale did to Barker with that. Sturm by decision.

Scott Christ

It's been a while since Felix Sturm has been the golden child of Germany, getting questionable decisions on the reg. After the Macklin and Murray controversies of 2011, Sturm has lost at home to Daniel Geale and Sam Soliman on the cards (the latter overturned to a no-contest later). Maybe it's just Australians that are big with officials in Germany. I don't know. Barker has less miles and is living up to the promise he showed early in his career. He's determined and fighting like someone who feels a legitimate second wind in his career. I'm going to go ahead and pick the guy I think is currently the better fighter and hope that if it goes down that way, the judges see it the right way.Barker by decision.

Tom Craze

It would be no surprise were this to steal the show as fight of the weekend before the HBO and Showtime cards even get underway. A first title defence on the road against Felix Sturm would, a few years ago, have sounded like a recipe for disaster but, as the performances of Sam Soliman and Daniel Geale showed, it is possible to go to Germany and get a fair shake against Sturm with the judges (albeit 'fair', in the case of Soliman, is probably stretching the point somewhat).

Clearly, Sturm has slipped a little of late, but it's worth remembering that he's been matched tough. It's certainly arguable that there's nobody else at middleweight who's taken as creditable a sequence of opponents as Barker, Macklin, Murray, Geale - and to a lesser extent, Zbik - but then, Felix Sturm is probably a fighter who often hasn't been given the credit he deserves.

This, as the odds suggest, is a pick 'em. Since his return from injury it's hard to have not been impressed by this new, more aggressive version of Barker. I've changed my mind on this one a few times, but I have a feeling that Sturm has regrouped. The overturning of that Soliman fight to a no-contest - preventing two straight defeats on paper - would have been a morale boost, and he looked sharp in his tune-up back in July. As Barker's gutsy showing against Geale proved, he's not going to give up his belt without one hell of an effort here, but the hunch is that Sturm meets him head-on and gets a razor-tight - but legitimate - nod on the cards. Sturm SD.

Dave Oakes

I've got a feeling this could be the fight of the weekend. Sturm knows this is most probably his last chance of regaining a world title, whilst Barker seems determined to succeed in the first of what he hopes to be many defences. Sturm has been involved in numerous close fights in the past couple of years, starting with his split-decision victory over Matthew Macklin and also including a draw with Martin Murray and defeats to Daniel Geale and Sam Soliman, the latter being changed to a no-contest after Soliman failed a drug test. This fight will be another one which could go either way.

There's been a new found aggression and purpose about Barker since his loss to Sergio Martinez a couple of years ago. If that fire's still there now that he's won a world title, he should be considered a strong favourite on Saturday night. The danger for Barker is thinking that Sturm's past his best and that he's got nothing to prove after defeating Geale last time out. Sturm might not be the fighter he once was but he's still boxing at a very good level and a lackadaisical approach from Barker could prove disastrous for him.

Their styles should make for an entertaining fight, with both using their skills early before exchanging blows more from the midway point onwards. I can't see there being much between them after eight rounds and the fight could come down to who finishes the stronger. Both have had stamina issues in the past but recent form suggests it's Barker who's most likely to finish the better. Barker UD in a very close and entertaining battle

Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Joseph Agbeko

Ryan Bivins

I fail to see any stylistic advantage that Agbeko has other than potentially work rate and awkwardness. But maybe Roger Mayweather, Agbeko's new trainer, will have a few tricks up his sleeves. All I know is Rigondeaux is the most talented fighter in boxing today aside from Mayweather. He's supposed to win. Rigondeaux by decision.

Scott Christ

Joseph Agbeko is a good fighter, but he's simply not in Rigondeaux's class, and frankly that goes for anyone at 118 or 122 right now. The Cuban may not get too many people excited, but he's as smooth, slick, and talented a pure boxer as they come, backed by an easy confidence that comes from simply knowing he's as good as he is. Rigondeaux almost looks bored or annoyed that he actually has to fight and that we can't all just understand that he's going to win, so what's the point? Just pay him. Rigondeaux by wide decision.

Tom Craze

Given how good Rigondeaux looked in that schooling of Nonito Donaire back in April, it feels highly unlikely that anyone will be picking Agbeko for the upset here, let alone with any conviction. The main question mark here is probably how Agbeko adapts to a new weight, and whether his power - although he's not renowned for being a puncher, per se - travels up to to 122 with him. Chances are it won't matter a great deal if Rigondeaux is on his game.

It'd be nice if the Cuban put on another masterclass here, if only so we don't have to endure the '...but he got rocked by Robert MARROQUIN!'-type conjecture. In reality, Agbeko is rarely an easy out for anyone, and it's even rarer somebody actually looks great when in against him. It feels unlikely that a fighter with Rigondeaux's style - or at least his style when not matched against guys who are in way over their head - will be the first man to stop Agbeko, but claiming nine or ten of the twelve rounds available should suffice.Rigondeaux UD.

Dave Oakes

I don't see this fight being competitive at all, Agbeko has proven how tough he is in the past but he's only fought once in two years, has had issues with weight gain between fights and is, without being unkind, nowhere near the level that Rigondeaux is.

Rigondeaux will out-box Agbeko for pretty much every minute of every round. Whilst Agbeko has been dropped a few times in his career, he's always shown the resolve and willpower to get up and make it to the final bell, and with that in mind, I can't see Rigondeaux getting a stoppage, not unless Agbeko has seriously declined in the past two years. Rigondeaux UD 120-108 on all cards.

James Kirkland vs Glen Tapia

Ryan Bivins

I like Tapia but his style of fighting is too similar to Kirkland's to imagine him winning unless James is out of sync, which very well might be true due to his layoff. Either way this is an action packed war waiting to happen and I can't wait to watch it from ringside.Kirkland by knockout.

Scott Christ

It's impossible to know what to expect from Kirkland unless you're Kirkland or Ann Wolfe. Wolfe is what leans in Kirkland's favor here, because it's unlikely he came out of her camp without getting into the best possible shape. That said, Kirkland is a bit chinny to go along with his strengths, and Tapia has enough power to get him early, considering we've seen Nobuhiro Ishida do it. I'm picking Kirkland because I think he's the better fighter if he's in proper shape mentally and physically, but Tapia is very live in this one, and it's a big chance for him. Kirkland TKO-7.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/12/6/5184378/judah-vs-malignaggi-preview-and-picks-for-main-event-plus-alexander

Zab Judah vs Paulie Malignaggi

Ryan Bivins

In a battle between two quick handed technicians I favor the guy with the heavier hands and sneakier shots, even though the fight is guaranteed to go the distance. Malignaggi doesn't hit hard enough to stop Judah and Judah doesn't throw enough to stop Malignaggi. Judah by decision.

Scott Christ

I'm hoping this gets some dramatic heat somewhere in the fight, because while I like the matchup OK enough and understand its value in Brooklyn, a fight between two veterans with styles like these doesn't exactly guarantee excitement. Malignaggi can be in entertaining fights where there's a chance of him losing, and this is one of those, but it will depend on how good Zab is. Judah is still a bit of a mystery even after a gritty performance against Danny Garcia, because you never know when something might not go his way and he'll flake out or get weird, because that's just the way he is. I think Paulie's the better, smarter fighter, but Zab has more to his game, including power that can make some difference. Paulie's got a terrific chin, though, and Judah tends to get very tentative for whatever reason. I don't know. I think this is about as 50-50 a main event as we see on premium cable anymore. The only thing I'm relatively certain of is that if it goes to the card, the losing fighter is going to complain. Judah by majority (real specific!) decision.

Tom Craze

Judah-Malignaggi is a fight that feels at least a few years past its expiry date but, at the back end of 2013, my feelings toward it are much like those I have on the MLS Final - I've got a passing interest in the outcome, I guess, but try as I might it's not something I'm going to be getting excited about. I'd be harder pressed, though, to argue that it's not a legitimate main event when hosted at the Barclays Center.

To its credit, it's a decent clash of styles between two wildly inconsistent fighters, and both put up valiant efforts against two of the elite new breed, in Garcia and Broner. Their combined age may be pushing 70 years old, but there's some life in these legs yet, struggling for momentum though they may be. Judah's won four of his last five by stoppage, which bodes well for him against a Paulie that we know can be hurt, but catching up with him might be a tougher ask. Rather, this feels like a fight destined to go the distance, cagey at first, but simmering nicely, nip and tuck, in the closing stretch. I think a split or majority decision, or even the draw, are big runners here.

The old theory goes that Zab Judah loses his big fights. Let's say that this is just about big enough to count. Malignaggi SD.

Steve Janoski

Maybe, if it was Dec. 7, 2007, this fight would interest me more than it does, but the current matchup between the 36-year-old Judah and the weak-punching Malingaggi is little more than a corner scrap in Brooklyn meant to give the winner some bragging rights in the home borough.

But whatever, I can respect that, and if this was 2007, I'd give Judah the upper hand because he's naturally a much more talented fighter. Being as it's not, however, this bout could go either way - Judah, the slick southpaw with good power, could hurt Malinaggi early, and Malinaggi doesn't have the heavy hands he needs to return the favor.

Unfortunately for Zab he's never been much of a finisher, and at his rapidly advancing age, that's only likely to worsen. Paulie has proven in recent years that he's the better technical boxer, and I expect that as Judah inevitably fades in the later rounds, the combination of Malinaggi's movement and boxing acumen will allow him to pile up points on his way to a close (but relatively unexciting) decision. Malignaggi UD-12.

Dave Oakes

This fight is a toss-up, Judah and Malignaggi have similar skill sets and both are at the same stage of their careers. Judah hits the harder whilst Malignaggi looks to have an advantage in stamina and maybe even desire.

Work rate will be vital here, the busier fighter will probably be the one who takes the close rounds, and that could well prove decisive come the final bell. It will undoubtedly be a close fight but I feel Malignaggi will edge it. Judah can be lazy at times and I believe that will cost him the fight, with Malignaggi's slightly higher work rate being enough for him to scrape a split decision. Malignaggi SD.

Devon Alexander vs Shawn Porter

Ryan Bivins

Porter has been learning on the job lately but I think this is too much, too soon. Alexander has a really good chin, is immensely conditioned, and Porter just can't crack very hard. Porter might look faster and flashier early on but I expect him to fade. The experience and consistency gap will be too much. Alexander by decision.

Scott Christ

Shawn Porter's only chance, in my estimation, is to stop Alexander with a big shot at some point. Otherwise, I just don't see it happening for him. Alexander is too quick, too skilled, too talented. Porter may have rescued his career this year, but it's going to be a short-lived save when Devon outclasses him and affirms that Porter's upside is about what we've already seen. Hopefully, Devon is fighting to impress, because otherwise this could be 12 rounds of snooze control. Alexander by decision.

Tom Craze

I am, it would seem, one of those rare things: somebody who steadfastly rates Devon Alexander very, very highly indeed. He's not a popular fighter, by and large, and I understand why that is, but he's a terrific boxer. Lucas Matthysse ended up leaving Missouri empty-handed, in an all-too-predictable episode of 'Hey, That's Boxing', but look past that and the fact that Tim Bradley remains Alexander's only official loss says much for the Saint Louis man's ability, particularly in light of what Bradley has gone on to accomplish since.

While Shawn Porter is probably more on a level with Lee Purdy than Tim Bradley, this is nonetheless an interesting enough pairing, and there are enough question marks here to ensure that's the case. I think Porter bringing the fight to Alexander, as he's promised to, would be a bold move but ultimately the wrong one. Alexander's adept enough at keeping someone on the end of a jab all night, but for me he's the more effective fighter when he takes a few more risks, as we saw against Maidana in particular. That said, the Alexander decision is the more conservative choice, and I think Porter's got enough about him to see the final bell. Alexander UD.

Erislandy Lara vs Austin Trout

Ryan Bivins

In a bout between two southpaw boxers I favor the Cuban. He's not as busy but he's sharper and he hits harder. Plus Trout keeps leaning in over his front foot and is going to get countered. At some point(s) I expect Lara to drop him. Lara by decision.

Scott Christ

I don't like the matchup stylistically for either guy, but this is a relevant and meaningful fight at 154, as I live in fantasy land where talent means something and this is still a sport somewhere beneath the grime, so the guys who are the best may not make it to the wide audiences all the time, but in the end are rewarded by being, you know, the best at what they're doing. Tim Duncan wins titles. Carmelo Anthony gets Slam magazine covers. Anyway, I like Lara to get the win, but I wouldn't be surprised by a dull draw and neither guy looking good no matter how this fight goes, because the style clash, again, is just not great. Lara by decision.

Tom Craze

Of all the fights this weekend, this is probably the one that I'm most intrigued about, simply because on paper it looks the most balanced. It's unlikely to be particularly dramatic or action-packed, but what it should provide is a welcome contrast from whatever the brawling James Kirkland sideshow serves up this time around.

Both Lara and Trout are fine technicians, but I've long insisted that Lara is as good as anyone not named Floyd Mayweather at 154 (or thereabouts), and I think he edges it in the areas that matter here. Lara is rangier, and his power, particularly when he finds a rhythm with that left hand, is slightly underrated. It'll be interesting to see whether he can find the range against somebody as awkward as Trout. Also worthy of note is that, although both southpaws, neither man has fought another lefty in quite some time: for Lara, not since Paul Williams; for Trout, not since David Lopez, with both fights taking place within a month of each other back in the summer of 2011.

Neither man is going to run away with this on the cards, and it could well be a disputed decision, but I expect Lara to control the pace of the fight and - crucially - land the more eye-catching shots on the outside, en route to no wider than a 116-112-type set of verdicts.Lara UD.

Dave Oakes

This is another great match-up in a weekend that's full of close looking bouts. Both are well schooled southpaws that are sharp punchers rather than big punchers. It'll be interesting to see how their styles mesh, I wouldn't be surprised if the fight was a little messy at times.

I'm leaning towards Lara, I believe his speed will be key for him in this fight. There's not a great deal between the two but if Lara can establish his jab like I'm expecting him to do, then he should be able to control the fight on the outside and do just enough to take the slimmest of points victories. Lara points - around 115-113.

Sakio Bika vs Anthony Dirrell

Ryan Bivins

Dirrell is the better classical boxer but he lacks the experience and toughness that Bika has. Plus Dirrell likes to neglect defense and mix it up. This is Anthony, not Andre. Bika by knockout.

Scott Christ

I like Sakio Bika, but I also like Anthony Dirrell. Of the Dirrell boys, give me the crazy-eyed swinger over Dr. Shaw-Hi's most high-profile patient any day. And I think this is a good matchup. It could get pretty wild if Dirrell's attacking nature is able to drag the Hulk back out of Bika, something that Kevin Cunningham has worked to eliminate, it would seem. The Hulk always comes out of Bruce Banner. I think the Hulk comes out of Bika here. Anthony Dirrell may not like him when he's angry. I'm seeing a really good slugfest here, and I do give Dirrell a good shot. Bika TKO-9.