You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sorry to bump this shite but I've just been prescribed tabs that I would assume are for this type of thing. I don't feel depressed as such just a bit shite as I am sure we all do. I've had a bad few months on and off should I ignore the quack and bin them or do what he says.

Dont be sorry at all. And sorry to hear that. What have you been prescribed? I am no expert; I only have my (continuing) experience. Happy to talk in the thread or via PM. I got some great support on here but also read some stuff that I was in no place to appreciate

Thanks Champ.

No not embarrassed as such just find the whole thing a bit weird. My head is all over the place but I'm working 60 -70 hours a week, trying to focus on 10 or 20 things at a time.

He has given me some sort of what I assume is brand name Prozac. I don't want to be a dribbling arse,

I think a lack of stress in life can be a factor in some mental illness. We are programmed for stress, both mental and physical, and the two great modern illnesses of depression and obesity stem from the lack of stress in many modern lives.

It is possible to live a completely sedentary lifestyle in this country that the state will fund. Clearly that's not applicable to every case or even most cases, but I do think it's a factor for quite a lot of people.

I can't rep this post because I have to spread but this is exactly how I feel.

The only times I feel relaxed is when completely focused on one thing. Be that Gym, golf, sex, drinking, etc. Normally I try to shut down the thoughts in my head but unless I have something to focus on other things pop up. This will sound like balls to most but its bugging me.

Thanks Champ.

No not embarrassed as such just find the whole thing a bit weird. My head is all over the place but I'm working 60 -70 hours a week, trying to focus on 10 or 20 things at a time.

He has given me some sort of what I assume is brand name Prozac. I don't want to be a dribbling arse,

Fluoxetine?

But something clearly isnt right as you wouldnt have gone to the doctor's? I know what you lot are like for going.

I think if you've been to the doctor and described your symptoms to her/him then you should give them a try. It sounds daft now but when I first went I didnt compute that a large proportion of the people they see every day have some kind of mental health concern....so they know what they are seeing and know whether something is working or not. What they dont know is how you will respond to a particular drug and that's is just a matter of suck it and see.

And, I expect your GP wants to see you back pretty quickly so let them know how you're feeling and work it out together. My GP has been fantastic.

FWIW I was initially prescribed the same. This seems to be the drug of first choice for most. The dose gradually being increased but after 8 weeks of sinking further into inertia my GP prescribed Citilopram. I actually picked up as the Fluoxetine dose was reduced and didnt start the Citilopram straight away but within a couple of weeks (co-inciding with my cycling accident) I started to go down again and started on the new meds. While there is no control experiment ( I phrase I have used a lot) I think they have helped...but boy is it a long process....and like nothing I've experienced before, that feeling of being tossed around in a heavy sea in a small boat by your emotions

Depression is different for everyone mate. For me it was characterised not just by feeling shite day on day, but an inability to motivate myself to do the simplest things. The pills can give you a bit of a lift so you can start functioning normally again, but to stop feeling shite I had to make changes in my life. If you're managing to get on with all the things you need to, then they may be unnecessary, but to get out of a slump you will need to do some things differently. If you can't make changes, then perhaps counselling might help to give you a different perspective on things if you can manage to get over the idea of it and give it a proper go. It's about working through the thoughts in your head rather than distracting yourself from them, which may only work for so long.

Yeah Champ think that's the one.

Doesn't seem to make any difference but I'm swallowing them. Doc said take some time off work, Yeah right. Likes that's going to happen. I've about 5 peoples mortgages to pay.

Thing is I don't feel depressed. It's quite normal for me to think dying is OK, and if it happened tomorrow so be it as long as the kids are OK. I'm wondering if the quack has interpreted my non fear of death as a wish.

Depression is different for everyone mate. For me it was characterised not just by feeling shite day on day, but an inability to motivate myself to do the simplest things. The pills can give you a bit of a lift so you can start functioning normally again, but to stop feeling shite I had to make changes in my life. If you're managing to get on with all the things you need to, then they may be unnecessary, but to get out of a slump you will need to do some things differently. If you can't make changes, then perhaps counselling might help to give you a different perspective on things if you can manage to get over the idea of it and give it a proper go. It's about working through the thoughts in your head rather than distracting yourself from them, which may only work for so long.

You're right Zak. I realize I cannot hide from problems but in the same respect I cannot simply pack it in. I've a load of kids wife etc etc. I wish I was a fighter pilot.

Yeah Champ think that's the one.

Doesn't seem to make any difference but I'm swallowing them. Doc said take some time off work' date=' Yeah right. Likes that's going to happen. I've about 5 peoples mortgages to pay.

Thing is I don't feel depressed. It's quite normal for me to think dying is OK, and if it happened tomorrow so be it as long as the kids are OK. I'm wondering if the quack has interpreted my non fear of death as a wish.[/quote']

How long have you been taking them? You have to expect to be taking them for a couple of weeks, at least, before you may feel any noticeable difference.

What do you think depression should feel like?

I expect your GP will have asked you to complete that little questionnaire so they will have based their assessment on what you were reporting and your answers to the questions.

And zig is right, to feel differently there will likely be things going on past or present that are weighing on your mind. Drugs can help give you a boost but will not resolve what is going on in your head without other changes. Maybe you can do this for yourself but some people really do find counselling very helpful. I am doing this too.

The highlands suck balls in winter Sec. Come May I'm still playing golf at 10.30 at night.

Been on them a couple of weeks Champ. Gp made me fill in the form.

I was honest and I think about death all the time. It does not trouble me shit happens. I don't know what depression is. I have know idea. I am sick of stuff but aren't we all.

Ive been prescribed fluoxetine, Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline and Imaprine (sp?) For various non depression related problems over the years and felt worse taking them than before.

I dont recommend any of them myself but to each their own I guess.

This surprises me with somebody like yourself who exercises a lot as I thought the endorphins from exercise would prevent this from happening.

If you live in the Highlands then maybe its a case of S.A.D.?

The highlands suck balls in winter Sec. Come May I'm still playing golf at 10.30 at night.

Been on them a couple of weeks Champ. Gp made me fill in the form.

I was honest and I think about death all the time. It does not trouble me shit happens. I don't know what depression is. I have know idea. I am sick of stuff but aren't we all.

And is that affecting the parts of your life that you've previously enjoyed?

Ive been prescribed fluoxetine, Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline and Imaprine (sp?) For various non depression related problems over the years and felt worse taking them than before.

I dont recommend any of them myself but to each their own I guess.

This surprises me with somebody like yourself who exercises a lot as I thought the endorphins from exercise would prevent this from happening.

If you live in the Highlands then maybe its a case of S.A.D.?

That's what tipped me to going to the docs.... I was out on my bike and there were tears rolling down my face and I knew it was something I couldnt sort out myself

That's what tipped me to going to the docs.... I was out on my bike and there were tears rolling down my face and I knew it was something I couldnt sort out myself

Not meaning to make a molehill out of a mountain of a problem for you Champ but I can imagine this is something that happens to a lot of people. Ive honestly done this a few times myself but i reckon its just as we get older we get more emotional and we realise we are getting ever closer to meeting our maker.

Not meaning to make a molehill out of a mountain of a problem for you Champ but I can imagine this is something that happens to a lot of people. Ive honestly done this a few times myself but i reckon its just as we get older we get more emotional and we realise we are getting ever closer to meeting our maker.

I could not give a toss about meeting my maker. If it was to happen tomorrow so be it it. Thing is there is no maker and I have a ton of responsibilities.

Maybe I didnt explain myself very well; I was trying to describe the feeling where I was getting no pleasure from the things that I would ordinarily have enjoyed and was just overwhelmed with something akin to grief

I could not give a toss about meeting my maker. If it was to happen tomorrow so be it it. Thing is there is no maker and I have a ton of responsibilities.

Not everybody has the same reasons for feeling depressed or suicidal but depression does hit home a bit more the older you get and all the added responsibilities and stresses it brings.

Young people also get depressed too of course but i assume you are middle aged too?

Gary Speed. Not that simple. Exercise can help you out of depression if you haven't been exercising, but the reason for depression is not dealing with your emotions over a long period of time. Drugs won't help on their own. Exercise won't help on it's own. You need to understand the causes of it and what your pattern is for dealing with it and then adjust that pattern, which you are only going to do by working on it with some help. For most people it's a combination of things which work. I can say that having been through a breakdown and two or three years of depression, and come out the other side. I'm no longer depressed and won't be again, but that's because I got the help and did the work I needed to.

Gary Speed. Not that simple. Exercise can help you out of depression if you haven't been exercising' date=' but the reason for depression is not dealing with your emotions over a long period of time. Drugs won't help on their own. Exercise won't help on it's own. You need to understand the causes of it and what your pattern is for dealing with it and then adjust that pattern, which you are only going to do by working on it with some help. For most people it's a combination of things which work. I can say that having been through a breakdown and two or three years of depression, and come out the other side. I'm no longer depressed and won't be again, but that's because I got the help and did the work I needed to.[/quote']

Where does the line between feeling really down and being clinically depressed start?

This must be difficult to diagnose.

Where does the line between feeling really down and being clinically depressed start?

This is the kind of thing your GP will use to diagnose it:

Psychological symptoms include:

* continuous low mood or sadness

* feeling hopeless and helpless

* having low self-esteem

* feeling tearful

* feeling guilt-ridden

* feeling irritable and intolerant of others

* having no motivation or interest in things

* finding it difficult to make decisions

* not getting any enjoyment out of life

* feeling anxious or worried

* having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself

Physical symptoms include:

* moving or speaking more slowly than usual

* change in appetite or weight (usually decreased, but sometimes increased)

* constipation

* unexplained aches and pains

* lack of energy or lack of interest in sex (loss of libido)

* changes to your menstrual cycle

* disturbed sleep (for example, finding it hard to fall asleep at night or waking up very early in the morning)

Social symptoms include:

* not doing well at work

* taking part in fewer social activities and avoiding contact with friends

* neglecting your hobbies and interests

* having difficulties in your home and family life

If you have quite a few of those symptoms and it's been going on for some time, then it's likely you are suffering from depression.

Varies for everyone though.

This is the kind of thing your GP will use to diagnose it:

Psychological symptoms include:

* having low self-esteem

* feeling tearful

* feeling guilt-ridden

* having no motivation or interest in things

* feeling anxious or worried

* having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself

Physical symptoms include:

* moving or speaking more slowly than usual

* change in appetite or weight (usually decreased' date=' but sometimes increased)

* constipation

* unexplained aches and pains

* lack of energy or lack of interest in sex (loss of libido)

* changes to your menstrual cycle

* disturbed sleep (for example, finding it hard to fall asleep at night or waking up very early in the morning)

Social symptoms include:

* not doing well at work

* taking part in fewer social activities and avoiding contact with friends

* neglecting your hobbies and interests

* having difficulties in your home and family life

Varies for everyone though.[/quote']

Pretty broad spectrum that and little wonder so many people fall through the cracks.

Its never going to be an exact science given that it relies to a great extent on self-reporting.

And the 'clinical' refers to a diagnose being applied by a medical practitioner and not the severity of the depression. And clearly there those who have depression but do not present to a doctor for it to be diagnosed

* having low self-esteem

* feeling tearful

These are also symptoms of what doctors call 'being a supporter of Liverpool f**tball club'.

Also, just to lighten the mood.

"Doctor, doctor... I feel like a dog on motorway..."

"Hmm, I think you are in danger of getting yourself run down..."