You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Secret Santa 2012

Juniper

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Secret Santa, a real joy!

Mine came as a double disk collection; Owl Arse and Them Scouse Again.

Disk One: Owl Arse is made up of classic Blues, Bluegrass, Skiffle, Boogie-Woogie and all that falls in between, which I fucking love, thank you. Already having a thirst for this I recognise most of it, but there were quite a few nice little surprises.

1) Hound Dog-Big Momma Thornton. Fucking classic, if you don't own it steal it!

2) Let Your Light Shine On Me-Blind Willie Johnson. Again classic. Brooding gospel style Blues that takes you someplace else with it's eerie vocals.

3) Drinkin Whiskey-Laurel Aitken. Absolutely love this, not heard it before, dark and purposeful, as it should be!

4) That's Alright-Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup. Again heard this before, Elvis could only dream of sounding this good.

5) The Fat Man-Fats Domino. Good time boogie woogie by the best, tune.

6) Save A Seat For Me-B.B. King. Anybody who's ever picked up a guitar and hadn't wished to play like BB deservers to lose their fingers, possibly the greatest player ever, so controlled and purposeful. Doesn't get any better. This is a lovely spiritual type track with that booming voice and transcending feeling of timelessness that only the very best have.

7) Man Of Constant Sorrow-The Stanley Brothers. Think most people will know this from 'O Brother' fantastic dustbowl Bluegrass.

8) Stack-A-Lee-Archibald. A classic take on the Stagger Lee Mythhology, not my favourite, but good time tune.

9) Midnight Special-Leadbelly. I love Leadbelly, so i know this already, personally don't think it's anywhere near his beat, but to each his own.

10) Dixie Fried-Carl Perkins. The man Elvis wanted too be! Never a massive fan, but enjoyed this.

11) Move It On Over-Hank Williams. C&W tinged with The Blues, not my cup o' tea, enjoyable though.

12) The Joint Is Jumpin'-Fats Waller. Sounds like Louis Primer, which is ace, simple story tellin' jive vibe, head nodding along. I feel like I'm wearing two-toned Brogues and sippin' a Whisky Sour, awesome!

14) Stone Cold Dead In The Market- Ella & Louis Jordan. Not heard this before. Good time swing with one of the greatest female voices of all time, sinister overtones coupled with upbeat sounds, I need more of this.

15) Lawdy Miss Clawdy-Lloyd Price. Trad Blues, not very distinctive, a touch derivative if I'm honest, doesn't really do anything for me, sorry.

16) Stormy Weather-Billie Holiday. I could listen to Billie any time of day or night and she'd conjure a million different emotions. Totally timeless and beautiful, if only 'modern' music had anything approaching this, beautiful. This is my go to song when I'm down. Just me, Billie, wine and the rain beating down on the window.

17) Shake That Boogie-Sonny Boy Williamson. Bar room blues boogie, will be getting more of this, I like A lot. Music from a different time and place, one that I wish I knew. Sounds a little like Howlin' wolf, without the mental!

18) Pettin' And Pokin'-Louis Jordan. Big time tune, lovely vocals, good finger clickin' beat, I want to be in a speak easy so badly now.

Thank you Santa, I really enjoyed listening to this.

A lot of it isn't what I'd normally go for, i'm more a Delta and Spirituals type, but you've opened my eyes to some new stuff, especially Jordan who I will be getting more of.

Really good artwork and quiz, can I have the Owl Arses answers, I got the newer ones.

All in all awesome.

I'll review the other, more modern, CD on Sunday because your disks don't really agree with my computer and it's taking forever to keep opening and shutting iTunes.

Who is it?

Looking through the original list I thought Lee because he knows his Blues does that cat, but he pulled out, so I'm left with a pickle. I know it's a proud Scouser from the second disk, but someone who loves their Blues as well? I'm stumped...

Nice work!

Last years Secret Sana I got was a blues one. I say greenoak.

Would love to do a review about my CD.

Starting to feel like I am turning into Indian Red and the fridge Magnet saga here.

You know what fella PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of the one I made, I feel bad for you!

We can pretend it's secret.

I'm not your SS, I'm afraid, Shandy la.

As for my CD, I've been chocker over the festive period and my laptop has decided to be a cunt and not read CD's, but I'll get a review up ASAP. I'm 99% sure I know who my SS is, but I won't reveal anything yet; it wouldn't be fair on the ginger, train-fixing cunt.

No sign of my recipient having received his yet, which is a real shame.

Edited by Woo

I'm not your SS' date=' I'm afraid, Shandy la.

As for my CD, I've been chocker over the festive period, and my laptop has decided to be a cunt and not read CD's, but I'll get a review up ASAP. I'm 99% sure I know who my SS is, but I won't reveal anything yet, it wouldn't be fair on the ginger, train-fixing cunt.

No sign of my recipient having received his yet, which is a real shame.[/quote']

Well if you think yours is from Monty and you didn't send mine, then I haven't got a clue who mine is from...

Steady on there fella!

I'd have thought you'd have been in a good mood after you got your appearance royalties for 'Up' on New Years Day...

Yeah, first Kung Fu Panda and then Up, fucking rolling in all that money right now.

*pats pockets and realises it was all a dream and he's actually skint*

I'll get a received/not received list up when I'm home tomorrow night/Monday when I can spend some time trawling through the thread.

Then we can get close to the neg list, which I'm sure some of you are looking forward to.

Crack on with your reviews in the meantime.

I've got mine sorted via download now, will give it a first play later on. I've got quite a lot on right now so it may take a while to get a review up, but I'll have plenty of time to give it a good listen.

First impression of the track listing is that it's pretty much all stuff that I'm unfamiliar with, looking forward to it.

This was done last night after a few beers and wine after the footy so bits might not make that much sense...

Nice cover and well since the question has been asked “50/50”. Beans make a shit brekkie a bit more tolerable but if you’re having quality then I don’t miss them whatsoever.

So......

First glance. Indie. I know a few. Heard of a few. Not something I listen to an awful lot bar late 80’s to early 90’s records these days.

Beans on a Fry Up?

1. Octopus by Bloc Party

Bloc Party. Don’t own a record by them but they are ok. Bit samey if I’m honest. This might have been the first record to be structured like this, I have no idea. Reminds me of early 20 something’s ‘having it’ in my local when they turn up the volume on Saturdays.

2. Romantic Dreams by Deftones

Whiny or emotional depending on your age I guess. Pearl Jam when you like Nirvana at their best. The hair rock flavour of these records always comes to the fore for me. Don’t like it. Whitesnake and U2. Too formulaic.

3. Inhaler by Foals

Good start! Use of echo. After less than a minute I’ll say this is decent. Nothing new but that mix of UK indie and NY that doesn’t ever fail. As a huge Mondays fan.

4. Holiday in Cambodia by Dead Kennedys

A lad (and dad) I used to get a lift off to the match used to play this type of music all the time. Some sort of 80’s punk? I quite like it but I wouldn’t listen to it at home! Hope it’sless than 4 minutes long.

5. I Wanna Be sedated by Ramones

Earlier but same vibe. And better. First tune I could see myself listening to out of choice. Ramones is probably a gap in my record collection. Much better this than the records that Ive got so obviously influenced by the Ramones.

6. Venus in Furs by VU

Classic. Whole LP is class. The type of atmosphere making music I love.

7. Elephant Stone by Stone Roses

Went to watch the getting back together gigs this summer. Great fun all told. Live, a different proposition to some knob head putting them on early morning in a house. Not heard this in a while, 12” version?

8. Doledrum by The Las

Never heard this and it’s really good. Never bothered with the la’s back at school when they were first out. Better than I thought it’d be.

9. If I Had a Gun by Noel Gallagher

Noel G track from the first few seconds.....strum,strum,strum. Inoffensive but not me. I’ll own up to skipping from 1.30

10. Little Black Submarines by Black Keys

Acoustic 60’s flavoured track. Presses the right buttons. Goes a bit rock. Not sure I like this bit. Again heavy metal 80’s riffs. ACDC bollocks. Spoilt it.

11. Gold by Wake Owls

Starts off ok but I’ve learnt my lesson after that last one......bit Elbow. Not for me. Must admit I’m fucking starving now and my main concentration is on some ribs and rice.

12. Changing the Rain by The Horrors

More of the same. Philharmonic indie. 4/10. Scarred by 02 putting music like this on hold whilst it costs me 50p a min.

13. Blue Cassette by Friendly Fires

Better start. Good start all round actually. Fuck – it’s THAT record. 1/10. Hold your head in shame. Shite. Skipped.

14. No Sleep til Brooklyn by Beastie Boys.

Ha! Last song - Tune!

I’m guessing the sender is quite a bit younger than me (I’m mid 30's). Fuck knows who to be honest.

As I said at the beginning I could see straight away it wasn’t all for me but it has spurred me into buying a few Ramones cd’s and seeing what they’re like which is good and why I like doing this each year. Cheers santa!