You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stadium funding

nickjt

Could the stadium costs, be it a new build or redevelopment not be met by pre-selling season tickets to raise capital?

If the club offered an 8 year season ticket from the season the stadium opens for £5000, meaning fans could save about £1800 and not be at risk to future price rises, would people want it?

If the club managed to sell 60k 8 year season tickets at 5k, that’d raise £300m. I’m not saying they would, cos finding 5k would be difficult; maybe the club could look to work with a bank and offer a credit card for it or something. But in theory it’d be enough for a new ground before any naming rights etc. were brought in.

At the moment, I’m guessing numbers, 40k ST holders paying £800 so bringing in £32m a year. So it’d mean that for 8 seasons we’re £32m down, so like Arsenal we’d have to be a bit shrewder in the transfer market and that’s shit. But a lot of the costs would be negated by the shitty stadium naming rights and the amount of extra income coming in from cup and European games. Not sure on the details but isn’t their some enhanced deal from Sky and BT coming, so use that to cover the costs a bit, fuck just adding it to players wages and agents fees.

Does anyone think that’d work? I’m just sick of reading through all the shit in transfer threads and theirs loads of good points in the FSG letter thread, but it seems all it boils down to is the revenue we lose every match day to our competitors.

I love the idea of these American marketing men expanding the brand and reaping the benefits, and fair play on the Standard Chartered and Warrior deals, they appear genuinely good deals, but that’s as much a reflection on the poor commercial running of the club from previous regimes as it’s a positive on FSG’s behalf. I’ve just spent a couple of months in Bangkok and Bangkok loves Liverpool FC. Thailand as a whole supports United, but Bangkok mostly Liverpool with United close behind. But nobody buys any proper gear, I bought a pretty decent copy of the warrior shirt about a week after it was released for £6. Copied stuff everywhere. Don’t get me wrong, these countries are getting richer and theirs a growing middle class who want the proper thing, but their support changes so easy that the main thing is if you want cash is your good on the pitch. The only way I can see these fans pay is by advertisements in live games, so the way to raise money is to be on the tele and City were on the tele when Aguero won the league and not coincidentally, a load of blag City shirts were been knocked out warehouses in Bangkok the next day.

The only way we can hope to continually be a force in the game is to get the stadium built, most of our other big problems are a consequence of this major fucking one that’s gone on for 20 years. If not the idea above has anyone got any suggestions?

Big clubs make money out of these foreign markets via sponsors and other companies. In Bangkok Chelsea and United players are on the sides of the sky train in association with Singha and a motorbike company makes the official LFC and MUFC scooters and bikes. But its only big clubs, Chang beer has no association with Everton in Thailand, I might have seen 1 thing at a shitty town. Instead all their advertisements are with Barca as their Asian representatives or some shite - it doesn't matter how good you are at marketting if what you've got on the pitch is shite. To get quality on the pitch year after year we need a stadium.

Edited by nickjt

The new Sky deal is worth about £30m a year extra to us from next year. That would pay for a new stadium in fifteem years while kicking back around an extra £30m a year in gate revenue (£70m instead of £40m).

it has never been about affordability- it is a confidence trick. It is about not wanting to invest in our future.

You have to think about the liquidity of the club, match day revenue and annual season ticket renewals are all part of that. We need that cash each year to cover our out ongoings over the year. If Cancer and Aids were here I guess them loaning against season tickets would have been something they tried to do.

It's a moot point anyway FSG are as about as likely to build a stadium as me pulling Adriana Lima.

Guest San Don
The new Sky deal is worth about £30m a year extra to us from next year. That would pay for a new stadium in fifteem years while kicking back around an extra £30m a year in gate revenue (£70m instead of £40m).

it has never been about affordability- it is a confidence trick. It is about not wanting to invest in our future.

Except one day, you want the 30m spent on the new stadium, next day you want it spent on re developing Anfield, day after that, you want it spent buying new players, day after that your want it spent on the new stadium again ad infinitum.

Your thinking that they could be arsed they can't-

Can't fucking even be arsed but they will produce a lovely open letter by the end of the year about how they really want to but Kenny Dalglish won't let them.

Owners must put their own revenue in to fund things like this,they will easily get it back and more

I wonder about inflation. When clubs build new stadiums one of the first things they do is put the prices up, usually quite substantially. Then other price hikes happen along the way, usually above inflation. I'm not sure the owners would go for a fixed cost 8 year season ticket as that is a lot of incremental income increases they would miss out on. Then again, if we can't get the money together easily, or at least have a good chunk of the stadium covered by sponsorship, then something like this might come into play in a partial way.

I could perhaps see 100M being raised in this sort of way, forming a class of charter members, or whatever it might be called. But it could be more trouble than it is worth, and the owners might not consider this sort of thing if they have other options.

Not meaning to be arsey but come on; a new stadium? seriously? for the life of me I cannot understand how this is even a topic for debate. We can't even cough up a couple of million quid for a desperately needed striker and people are debating hundreds of millions of pounds stadia: really? honestly?? Scrap the thread, it's for the best.

Not meaning to be arsey but come on; a new stadium? seriously? for the life of me I cannot understand how this is even a topic for debate. We can't even cough up a couple of million quid for a desperately needed striker and people are debating hundreds of millions of pounds stadia: really? honestly?? Scrap the thread, it's for the best.

I'll believe the new tent in Annie Rd when I see it.

You're probably correct. Which means Villa - Everton - Sunderland here we come.