You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some vets take the piss!

a stoner

Some vets do take the piss, undoubtedly. When comparing vets it is important to look at expertise / facilities as well as just price. The problem is when human healthcare is free at the point of provision and people expect this, or something approaching it for their pets.

It is really quite costly to run and properly equip a practice so higher fees are not necessarily just ending up in the boss's pocket. Plus we employ a fair few minty nurses and they don't come cheap. Nobody wants to be surrounded by pigs all day.

Lastly, the 'blood draining' procedure on the ear will be at best 35% successful. For the guy with the dog with ruptured eardrums and otitis, you need a surgeon not a dermatologist, beware of the derm guys spending all your insurance faffing about with skin tests and shit then having to pay for the ear canals coming out with your own money.

Surely as a Vet you do.

She's actually picked up a bit since last Monday.

It's not that unusual for her to eat like a gannet then vomit quickly afterwards but it was happening more frequently.

The bloods showed a higher than normal result for her pancreas and white blood cells but nothing that would confirm anything either.

I've said I'll keep an eye on her and see how she is before they do anything else.

I'll put in a written complaint and ask for the consultation fee back at least.

They should at least have put her on Zantac or similar if they suspected it.  If it was elevated lipase then that is not really substantial enough.

It was the growth of pet insurance that drove vet costs up, especially for drugs. The vets soon cottoned on to the fact that the insurers were in no position to argue with what they were saying needed to be done. Over the last few years, a lot of the insurers have cottoned on to what the vets were up to and pulled out of the market.

Next time anyone goes the vet, see how long it takes for them to ask if you have pet insurance.  It was usually the second question in the vets I used.

Interestingly the pet insurance industry pays out around 9% of the income from premiums.  Very significantly lower than car / household. 

A good trick is to say that you don't have insurance but that you are prepared to spend on your pet's treatment provided the costs are explained and that the rationale for the tests / procedures are justified. Then give them the claim form at the end.  Will only work the once though.

I use a vets4pets as the practise manager has a greyhound and a greyhound/great Dane cross. My friend knows her so recommended the practise.

Never had an issue with them. We signed up to a deal for a tenner a month which is unlimited consultations with a vet, nails, ears, anal glands and yearly vaccinations.

Considering ours needs his glands done every month which is 17 quid we've playes a blinder