You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Breakthrough 2012/2013

smilezzz

No, you weren't saying "we need to use the loan market better" that wasn't part of your point at all, "The developing youth discussion, comes round every few years. Ultimately, the best teams don't" then you go on about City buying in replacements for their youth and go on to dismiss our current crop of youngsters.

My point in contention to that is that all of the big clubs invest a lot of time and money to bring players through. Players at the end of this process are around 20-22, so my examples fit the bill as they have all gone through the process I was illustrating. The loan market naturally plays a part of this, but so does getting an early taste of the first team for the right talents (Welbeck for example played in over 10 games before even going on loan).

If you were simply saying that this club has a bit too much of a "sink or swim" attitude that wants too much too soon of the youngsters then I would agree to a degree, we have had a fair few great talents break through so young it may have left us spoilt. But not playing the current crop because it's a sign of weakness is stupid if those players could make us stronger down the road given the right investment now.

Starting a group of youngsters in the league (Villa) would indeed be a sign of weakness (Shelvey, Henderson playing so much - one because we had a series of dead rubbers for him to get experience and bed in, the other because we had so few options amid injury and bad form - also somewhat fit the category), but giving kids who have shown they are better than the reserve league minutes in the cups and early stages of the Europa is definitely the right way to go.

a) It gives the players a clear idea of where they are and where they need to be.

b) It shows the club has faith in them (which is why there's a thread based aronud who we think should have earned the club's faith).

c) It showcases them to the loan market.

d) It introduces them to the fans.

e) It gives the coaches a clear view of where they are and what they need to work on.

Sterling, Suso, maybe Teixiera, maybe even Coady, Ngoo, Wisdom, Silva... who knows. We'll already have 4-6 youth players in there (Robinson, Flanagan - both of whom could still do with a loan - Coates, Kelly, Shelvey and Henderson) so it's unlikely more than one or two will get the nod.

Any idea what happened to Flanno after the Blackburn game? Has he played any matches for the ressies since?

He was quite awful in that game, but that's expected now and again from a youngster at that level. What I'd like to know is how is the lad getting on after the match, as something like that could set him back.

I don't recall him playing any reserve games after that. If you want my honest opinion Flanagan will end up at the level of Danny Guthrie; good enough to start regularly for a mid-table side, but unless he wants to spend most of his career on the bench not going to be Liverpool material (no jokes about our current position, please).

That reminds me of a player I should have mentioned in my previous post - Ryan McLaughlin. A bit younger, but for my money the best bet to make it out of the youth setup bar only Sterling. Tremendous player, pacy, skillful, and puts in a great cross. An attacking right back, reminds me of a younger Dani Alves. A long ways off the first team right now, obviously, as he's just 17, but he's a good bet to get there in 3-4 years.