You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly shockingly shite.

Gervais hit gold on The Office (still my favourite comedy of all time) and hit bronze with Extras but every 'comedy' he's done since has been incredibly shite.

'Life's too short' was dire; "let's laugh at the midget and his disabilities" and now 'Derek' "let's laugh at the mentally unstable and his disabilities".

He's living off his 'Office' reputation for 10 years now. It would be sacrilege but his only saving grace could possibly be a UK Office 3rd series. But it won't happen.

I like Gervais but I don't like the look of it, why is Karl in it ?? it just doesn't look very good.

I used to like him when he played humble, downtrodden characters and naively believed he might be a good down to earth lad, but I was wrong as he's turned into a egotistic knobhead.

Truly shockingly shite.

Gervais hit gold on The Office (still my favourite comedy of all time) and hit bronze with Extras but every 'comedy' he's done since has been incredibly shite.

'Life's too short' was dire; "let's laugh at the midget and his disabilities" and now 'Derek' "let's laugh at the mentally unstable and his disabilities".

He's living off his 'Office' reputation for 10 years now. It would be sacrilege but his only saving grace could possibly be a UK Office 3rd series. But it won't happen.

I don't really understand that point of view. Whilst I agree that it wasn't very good, it certainly wasn't 'laughing at the midget' as you say.

I don't really understand that point of view. Whilst I agree that it wasn't very good, it certainly wasn't 'laughing at the midget' as you say.

The first few weren't but as the series went on they snuck in. Falling off shelves, ladder behind door, peep hole at crotch level etc.

I quite enjoyed LTS myself, some brilliant moments. "He's dangerous...he's a rapist" and when he is with his spiritual advisor spring to mind but it got a bit samey.

I am a fan of Gervais so will be giving Derek a watch.

Truly shockingly shite.

Well if you think that's what it's about then you're right to think it's shit. I think you're missing the point though. He doesn't mock the afflicted, he mocks the mockers.

Well if you think that's what it's about then you're right to think it's shit. I think you're missing the point though. He doesn't mock the afflicted, he mocks the mockers.

I understand what you mean, but it's getting to the point where he can say anything to anyone and if he's accused of racism, spastic-ism(!?) he'll bring that 'mocks the mockers' excuse out. Basically he's bringing the circus freaks to TV but regardless of his reasons he's not funny anymore, IMO.

He doesn't mock the afflicted, he mocks the mockers.

What makes you believe he is mocking the mockers? What point do you think he is making with this reliance on un-PC material? Not having a go, just curious.

I remember him on the 11 O'Clock Show and Meet Ricky Gervais. His persona back then was Sickipedia-made-flesh and he certainly wasn't dealing in layers of irony; it was all just plain mean spirited.

What makes you believe he is mocking the mockers? What point do you think he is making with this reliance on un-PC material? Not having a go, just curious.

I remember him on the 11 O'Clock Show and Meet Ricky Gervais. His persona back then was Sickipedia-made-flesh and he certainly wasn't dealing in layers of irony; it was all just plain mean spirited.

A lot of current fans don't remember this, and as he wasn't famous the point wasn't raised before. I may be wrong but I don't hear any of his co-actors from The Office ( Martin Freeman, Mackenzie Crook, Lucy Davis) praising him and don't seem to be in any rush to work with him again. The only celebs I see happy to work with Gervais anymore are those who have already had their day and are hoping for a little success before they fizzle out completely i.e. Les Dennis, Cheggers, barry from Eastenders etc

I hoped he would bring out a 'Office type' comedy (in a different situation, obviously) with just normal/believable characters who most people could identify with.

I hoped he would bring out a 'Office type' comedy (in a different situation, obviously) with just normal/believable characters who most people could identify with.

The Office was a masterpiece - a one-off - and anything Gervais and Merchant try which is in a similar vein would certainly bear unfavourable comparison. It's far easier for them to churn out lazy shit like Life's Too Short and (probably) Derek than to write another classic comedy.

A lot of current fans don't remember this, and as he wasn't famous the point wasn't raised before. I may be wrong but I don't hear any of his co-actors from The Office ( Martin Freeman, Mackenzie Crook, Lucy Davis) praising him and don't seem to be in any rush to work with him again. The only celebs I see happy to work with Gervais anymore are those who have already had their day and are hoping for a little success before they fizzle out completely i.e. Les Dennis, Cheggers, barry from Eastenders etc

He'd have to want to work with the same people again for that to happen. You are right though, he's been left with ANY FUNNY PERSON IN THE WORLD falling over themselves to work with him. Jason Bateman, Chris Rock, Jonah Hill, Louis CK, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Tina Fey, Christopher Guest, Jeffrey Tambor, Rob Lowe.....

Not that it would prove anything either way, it's just a very odd thing to level at him.

It's good that you're sticking up for the Circus Freaks though. I'm sure they'd thank you for it. Don't watch Game of Thrones whatever you do mate, they've got one in that too, and they sometimes make reference to him being small. It's obscene.

He'd have to want to work with the same people again for that to happen. You are right though, he's been left with ANY FUNNY PERSON IN THE WORLD falling over themselves to work with him. Jason Bateman, Chris Rock, Jonah Hill, Louis CK, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Tina Fey, Christopher Guest, Jeffrey Tambor, Rob Lowe.....

Not that it would prove anything either way, it's just a very odd thing to level at him.

It's good that you're sticking up for the Circus Freaks though. I'm sure they'd thank you for it. Don't watch Game of Thrones whatever you do mate, they've got one in that too, and they sometimes make reference to him being small. It's obscene.

My point was the actors who he found fame with, i.e from The Office have not been quick to work again with him, which may point to the fact that he's a bit of a knobhead. The famous US based actors you mentioned are a different discussion entirely, by working with Gervais who is currently the comedy king it does them no harm. He's still going backwards, comedy wise, with or without midgets.

I may be wrong but I don't hear any of his co-actors from The Office ( Martin Freeman, Mackenzie Crook, Lucy Davis) praising him and don't seem to be in any rush to work with him again.

Yes, Freeman and Crook decided to star in Hollywood movies because they didn't want to work with Gervais again.

My point was the actors who he found fame with, i.e from The Office have not been quick to work again with him, which may point to the fact that he's a bit of a knobhead. The famous US based actors you mentioned are a different discussion entirely, by working with Gervais who is currently the comedy king it does them no harm. He's still going backwards, comedy wise, with or without midgets.

Them turning him down might be. Other than that it's irrelevant.

Yes, Freeman and Crook decided to star in Hollywood movies because they didn't want to work with Gervais again.

If you touch on the point Monty said before about the A list celebs Gervais is working with, it's clear that Freeman and Crook could easily get a job on one of his new films but are surprisingly missing, which again may explain that they all left with bad feelings after working together. But I may be wrong.

We're all moving away from the point that RG is losing it. He is still incredibly successful but his bubble is slowly leaking.