You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67476160

Prestwich: Man who wore antisemitic t-shirt in Jewish area jailed

A man who wore a t-shirt with offensive wording relating to the conflict in the Middle East while visiting a Jewish area has been jailed.

Robert Hughes was seen by members of the Jewish community walking along Kings Road in Prestwich on the morning of 9 October.

The 69-year-old from Whitefield, Bury, admitted antisemitic hate crime charges.

He was jailed for 12 weeks by magistrates in Bolton.

The Crown Prosecution Service said several witnesses had contacted the police to report the incident.

Two officers approached Hughes in the street and persuaded him to cover the t-shirt with a coat.

In a police interview he later admitted he had deliberately worn the t-shirt to provoke a reaction but denied any intention to cause distress and claimed his actions were an expression of his freedom of speech.

Senior crown prosecutor Matthew Siddall said: "Robert Hughes targeted an area in north Manchester, where he does not live, which is a predominantly Jewish area in order to provoke a reaction with the t-shirt he was wearing.

"He caused upset and distress to all those he came across that day with the offensive words he displayed on his clothing.

"While individuals have a right to freedom of expression, we won't hesitate to prosecute those who deliberately undermine public order by demonstrating hostility to anyone's race or religion."

Not that it matters as he's deservedly got his just desserts, but any idea what the wording was?

10 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Not that it matters as he's deservedly got his just desserts, but any idea what the wording was?

Free Palestine I suspect. If it was anti-semitic then fuck him although If it was I would assume the officers would have nicked him instead of asking him to cover it up. 

17 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

any idea what the wording was?

There does not seem to be any mention of it and there are no images/video.

In this day and age that is hard to believe. Same with the two fellas wearing Hamas head coverings at the march last week. One image (looked like a selfie) then they disappeared.

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

There does not seem to be any mention of it and there are no images/video.

In this day and age that is hard to believe.

People question the veracity of anti-Jewish hate crime even when it's live streamed. The fact that this guy was convicted isn't enough for some. As always, different groups operate under different rules.

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

People question the veracity of anti-Jewish hate crime even when it's live streamed. The fact that this guy was convicted isn't enough for some. As always, different groups operate under different rules.

Internet anti-semite warriors are amongst the most vociferous there is - that is the reason I mentioned the lack of images in what was a very public display, even moreso with the two fellas at the march - not sure anyone is questioning whether or not this incident happened.

29 minutes ago, Strontium said:

The irony. Susan Sarandon sacked by her agency, an actress kicked off Scream 7 all for voicing their opinions against genocide. 

Little twat from Stranger Things handing pro-Israel stickers out in New York and nobody does a thing. 

yes, it certainly is different rules for different groups you absolute hypocrite. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Internet anti-semite warriors are amongst the most vociferous there is - that is the reason I mentioned the lack of images in what was a very public display, even moreso with the two fellas at the march - not sure anyone is questioning whether or not this incident happened.

The first reaction of most victims of racism isn't to get the video camera out and start recording. The only reason I have recordings of some of those antisemitic phone calls I got a few years back is because the guy was dumb enough to leave a few on my voicemail. It never entered my head to tape any.

People are still questioning whether the Holocaust happened. People are still questioning whether the October 7th massacre happened. Trust me, those same people will also be questioning whether this guy wore an offensive t-shirt to provoke Jews, even after he admitted it.

7 minutes ago, Strontium said:

The first reaction of most victims of racism isn't to get the video camera out and start recording. The only reason I have recordings of some of those antisemitic phone calls I got a few years back is because the guy was dumb enough to leave a few on my voicemail. It never entered my head to tape any.

People are still questioning whether the Holocaust happened. People are still questioning whether the October 7th massacre happened. Trust me, those same people will also be questioning whether this guy wore an offensive t-shirt to provoke Jews, even after he admitted it.

People are questioning the death toll figures coming out of Gaza. People question a lot of things. It's not an exclusive thing against Jewish people no matter who much you try to spin it that way. 

Also, what's the harm in people wondering what was on the t-shirt? Do you think that Stuart Seldowitz should be jailed for his racism as well? 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I wonder if this guy will get jailed....

I mean 3 separate (minimum) tirades of racist abuse is obviously worse than a t-shirt. I'm sure SD will agree that this man should be jailed as well. Right? 

It's twitter. Doesn't matter. Not highbrow enough. 

28 minutes ago, Strontium said:

The first reaction of most victims of racism isn't to get the video camera out and start recording.

I must disagree a bit here - the first reaction of a majority of people is to get out their phones regardless of the victim.

And truth be told regardless of the "crime".

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Still nothing to indicate suspicion of a racist motive.

You can use a bit of sense here -- two sets of protestors obviously have a core disagreement.

Whether you want to paint that as racist, political, ideological is somewhat secondary isn't it?

Unless it is a slightly pedantic take on whether it belongs in this thread.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

on a wider issue, the issue of racism is definitely getting worse.

whether its Brexit or the proliferation of social media.people,racists,are much more bolder now.

gaza complicates things further with people arguing about anti semitism and islamophobia

Yep it is and it's being fed by the media and governments. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Arniepie said:

on a wider issue, the issue of racism is definitely getting worse.

whether its Brexit or the proliferation of social media.people,racists,are much more bolder now.

gaza complicates things further with people arguing about anti semitism and islamophobia

The smear campaigns against the Labour left also complicate things.  Before 2015, if you heard a complaint of Anti-Semitism you could generally assume there was some substance to it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The smear campaigns against the Labour left also complicate things.  Before 2015, if you heard a complaint of Anti-Semitism you could generally assume there was some substance to it.

definitely

the difference between the column inches given to the anti semitism report into the labour party and the islamophobia report into the tories shows just how much the game is loaded