You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If you think his solo album is better than Be Here Now or Don't Believe the truth then there is something wrong with your ears. It's not better than Heathen Chemistry either to be honest, and if you count the Masterplan as an album then that is a lot better as well.

Sure we're going to disagree; I've no problem with that. Musical tastes are all subjective and there is no right and wrong. I just don't agree with wanting him to broaden his sounds, I want him to carry on doing what he's always done. Despite the recent denials from him I still think reforming Oasis is going to happen within the next few years, and if that does happen then I can't see much changing.

Saying that, who knows what his next album will be like? His last one had a few tunes left over from Oasis but this is a totally new start so you might get the change in direction you'd like.

How old do you think I am Skids? It's not often I get called young nowadays ( though obviously I'm a little kid compared to Stringy )

I can also grow a much more luxuriant beard than the bumfluff you sport.

It was more aimed at Stig who goes mental everytime Oasis or one the Gallaghers are criticised.

I doubt you can grow luxiriant beard. If you could you would share it with the world.

• Downvote 2

It was more aimed at Stig who goes mental everytime Oasis or one the Gallaghers are criticised.

I doubt you can grow luxiriant beard. If you could you would share it with the world.

fuck off sporty spice 

shave yer fluff 

Oasis are better than faith No More. By a million miles. 

The best way to illustrate my point is to say Paul Weller. His sound is resolutely true to himself but he also pushes it and stretches it and takes it in new directions. Weller broke up the biggest band in the country for creative reasons and started a new band with a sound that, at the time, seemed radically different to where he came from.

However, listen to A Town Called Malice next to, say, Headstart For Happiness and follow it with something like Black River - tunes from all three stages of his career - and, while each sounds very different, they each also sound very Weller.

For me, Noel's talent is comparable to Weller's but I think what I perceive as his musical conservatism has impeded him creatively. However, as I suggested above, there's still plenty of time for him yet.

Can't be typing a huge post Paul as I'm on my phone, but I was going to use Weller earlier as an example, but in a different way.

He had a lot of success in his early Style Council days going in a different direction and recent albums like Wake up the nation were superb and incorporated elements of jazz and soul etc... But he's also made some terrible music, namely in his latter days with the Style Council. Their last album is absolutely horrendous. At their best Weller and Noel are both fantastic; at their worst Weller is

In a league of his own.

So I'd say it's a mixed bag for Weller with his forays in new directions and his greatest stuff is still his work with The Jam, but I just don't think Noel has the same interests in making different styles of music that Weller has.

what a bizarre thing to say Paul

eg; If I had a gun sounds nothing like shaker maker sounds nothing like champagne supernova sounds nothing like Falling Down sounds nothing like Lets all make believe sounds nothing like Bring it on Down. 

I'd say he continually stretches his musical approach. 

fuck off sporty spice 

shave yer fluff 

Oasis are better than faith No More. By a million miles. 

Ha, the old if I have fuck all else I can use the Sporty Spice gag and Faith No More are shit line.

If we are solely judging on album sales then I wouldn't argue, however Oasis have had more albums than FNM. So that would make the balance of the arguement unfair so I would look at skills of each member of each band.

In terms of diversity of each bands music and skill you are way off mark. Waaaaayy off.

Liam Gallagher is not even close to wiping Patton's sweat off the floor after a gig with a mop. Patton has one of the most diverse voices in music today.

Billy Gould's bass playing, again is far more diverse than anything Andy Bell has or will ever do.

Mike Bordin is one of the best drummers in the world full stop.

Roddy Bottum is just fucking ace on synths.

Oh and by the way FNM are not my favourite band.

Can't be typing a huge post Paul as I'm on my phone, but I was going to use Weller earlier as an example, but in a different way.

He had a lot of success in his early Style Council days going in a different direction and recent albums like Wake up the nation were superb and incorporated elements of jazz and soul etc... But he's also made some terrible music, namely in his latter days with the Style Council. Their last album is absolutely horrendous. At their best Weller and Noel are both fantastic; at their worst Weller is

In a league of his own.

So I'd say it's a mixed bag for Weller with his forays in new directions and his greatest stuff is still his work with The Jam, but I just don't think Noel has the same interests in making different styles of music that Weller has.

You could say that Weller is on his own because he wasn't as safe as Noel has been.

eg; If I had a gun sounds nothing like shaker maker sounds nothing like champagne supernova sounds nothing like Falling Down sounds nothing like Lets all make believe sounds nothing like Bring it on Down. 

He doesn't continue to stretch his musical approach at all. He does what he does, and he does it well.

I think you need to look outside the box Stig, diverse music is not what Noel Gallagher is about.

You could say that Weller is on his own because he wasn't as safe as Noel has been.

He doesn't continue to stretch his musical approach at all. He does what he does, and he does it well.

I think you need to look outside the box Stig, diverse music is not what Noel Gallagher is about.

I don't want him to change but you can't deny he has songs from different ends of the 'plectrum' (see what i did there.)

And as for Faith No More, it is a matter of opinion but if you think Faith no More are better than Oasis then you are a bigger bellend than I thought. In my opinion. And I don't even mind faith no more. 

I'm not sure what that means?

To simplify my point, I'd argue that Weller at his worst is when he's tried to move in a totally different direction - like making house music -

which was terrible.

At his best I'd say it's when he made his material with The Jam and his early solo stuff which is not too dissimilar in style. So I wouldn't say it's been a waste moving into different styles but it's a mixed bag to say the least.

I don't blame Noel for not wanting to experiment with music which isn't his style. It's not for everyone and plenty of bands like say the Foo Fighters have been making the same type of music for years without anyone commenting on it.

Music is completely subjective, no need to take it personally.

It's ok moof, he's not being personal.

I don't want him to change but you can't deny he has songs from different ends of the 'plectrum' (see what i did there.)

And as for Faith No More, it is a matter of opinion but if you think Faith no More are better than Oasis then you are a bigger bellend than I thought. In my opinion. And I don't even mind faith no more. 

Hehe, nice one Stig.

I think he songs from different ends of his spectrum, he has a formula that works extremely well for him. You can't go saying he is diverse and then say you don't want him to change. It is clear me and you have very different opinions of what we would like our musicians to do. I like to see people push their creative boundaries to the max. So what if they fail.

In terms of musician skill, from front man to drummer, Faith No More piss all over Oasis. However Oasis was pretty much nothing without Noel's writing. FNM are more than one member contributing to music, lyrics and style. FNM have tunes like " A Small Victory" which has these comments about them

"Faith No More displayed an even more experimental effort on their next album, Angel Dust. One critic writes that the album is "one of the more complex and simply confounding records ever released by a major label" and another writes that the single "'A Small Victory', which seems to run Madame Butterfly through Metallica and Nile Rodgers (...) reveals a developing facility for combining unlikely elements into startlingly original concoctions.""

You will never get anything similar said about a Noel Gallagher tune.

I love Definitely Maybe, I like What's The Story...but in terms of Oasis albums, the rest of them are a bit meh for me, with one or two decent tracks on each of them. The B Sides are better than most of the singles.

FNM made Angel Dust and it is there best selling album because they didn't play it safe. They took a chance and that is what being diverse is about. Noel has yet to take that chance. Look at Bowie, Lou Reed, Neil Young and Bob Dylan to mention a few. They all took chances to break out from what they were initially doing by making a different record to what they had previously done.

It's ok moof, he's not being personal.

Hehe, nice one Stig.

I think he songs from different ends of his spectrum, he has a formula that works extremely well for him. You can't go saying he is diverse and then say you don't want him to change. It is clear me and you have very different opinions of what we would like our musicians to do. I like to see people push their creative boundaries to the max. So what if they fail.

In terms of musician skill, from front man to drummer, Faith No More piss all over Oasis. However Oasis was pretty much nothing without Noel's writing. FNM are more than one member contributing to music, lyrics and style. FNM have tunes like " A Small Victory" which has these comments about them

"Faith No More displayed an even more experimental effort on their next album, Angel Dust. One critic writes that the album is "one of the more complex and simply confounding records ever released by a major label" and another writes that the single "'A Small Victory', which seems to run Madame Butterfly through Metallica and Nile Rodgers (...) reveals a developing facility for combining unlikely elements into startlingly original concoctions.""

You will never get anything similar said about a Noel Gallagher tune.

I love Definitely Maybe, I like What's The Story...but in terms of Oasis albums, the rest of them are a bit meh for me, with one or two decent tracks on each of them. The B Sides are better than most of the singles.

FNM made Angel Dust and it is there best selling album because they didn't play it safe. They took a chance and that is what being diverse is about. Noel has yet to take that chance. Look at Bowie, Lou Reed, Neil Young and Bob Dylan to mention a few. They all took chances to break out from what they were initially doing by making a different record to what they had previously done.

I'm sorry but I read this in the style of patrick bateman and looked behind me to check you weren't about to twat me with an axe 

american-psycho-2000-1080p-bluray-x264-h

americanpsycho2.jpg

Emo 

• Upvote 1

To simplify my point, I'd argue that Weller at his worst is when he's tried to move in a totally different direction - like making house music -

which was terrible.

At his best I'd say it's when he made his material with The Jam and his early solo stuff which is not too dissimilar in style. So I wouldn't say it's been a waste moving into different styles but it's a mixed bag to say the least.

I don't blame Noel for not wanting to experiment with music which isn't his style. It's not for everyone and plenty of bands like say the Foo Fighters have been making the same type of music for years without anyone commenting on it.

My point is that some of Weller's solo stuff being a bit shit makes him stand ou ton his own because he tried to totally new stuff. Like the house music being one example. Look at Queen with Hot Space, it was new to them because it was purely a disco album. It was shit but at least they tried it.

The Foo's get a lot of stick for being purely rock and hey also have a formula that works. They are a rock band first and foremost and the difference is Dave Grohl is the one that does different stuff all the time no the band (well they do participate in other stuff to be fair)

The most diverse musician and band for me at the moment is Josh Homme and Queens Of The Stone Age. Each album is different because he has a different line up each time bar Troy Van Leuwen. That is how he keeps it fresh. I hope Noel takes the same approach with his next abum. As I think some of his songs could work with a different twist.

which was terrible.

But that's where you're going wrong mate because it's not a statement of fact (as the word 'argue' implies), but a matter of opinion. I love Weller's cover of Joe Smooth's Promised Land (although his house stuff is not what I was thinking of when I cited him). 

For me, an artist who pushes him/herself into new and diverse areas is far more interesting than someone who doesn't. That's not to say I'll like everything they'll do, but it's something I admire and think more artists would benefit from: a bit of creative refreshment. It certainly never hurt Bowie, Radiohead or The Beatles. I like Noel Gallagher (as I said in my original post), but for me he's musically stale. I wouldn't necessarily like something he did just because it was diverse, but then again I might and that's why I'd like to see him try some new stuff.

The fact that others like what he does is absolutely fine too, of course; I'm just making a point about my tastes.

"Oh, yeah. I like all the bands. I’ve got a broad taste, you know. From the Britpop bands like UB40, Def Leppard, right back to classic rock, like Wings".

Not a massive musical spectrum.

"Oh, yeah. I like all the bands. I’ve got a broad taste, you know. From the Britpop bands like UB40, Def Leppard, right back to classic rock, like Wings".

Not a massive musical spectrum.

Would you prefer him to release a hip hop album then? Just to satisfy your pointless argument mate? Noel is a fucking god. 

My point is that some of Weller's solo stuff being a bit shit makes him stand ou ton his own because he tried to totally new stuff. Like the house music being one example. Look at Queen with Hot Space, it was new to them because it was purely a disco album. It was shit but at least they tried it.

The Foo's get a lot of stick for being purely rock and hey also have a formula that works. They are a rock band first and foremost and the difference is Dave Grohl is the one that does different stuff all the time no the band (well they do participate in other stuff to be fair)

The most diverse musician and band for me at the moment is Josh Homme and Queens Of The Stone Age. Each album is different because he has a different line up each time bar Troy Van Leuwen. That is how he keeps it fresh. I hope Noel takes the same approach with his next abum. As I think some of his songs could work with a different twist.

Weller and Queen making crap albums in a style other than what they usually do doesn't really make much of a point. They probably regret both those albums and wish they hadn't bothered.

He's a clever man Noel and I reckon he probably knows his limitations well. I just don't think he can be arsed with different styles. This is what he said about scrapping the project with AA.

NG: Well, it was a record that contains songs that weren’t conventional songs. It wasn’t verse-chorus-verse-chorus. They’re a bit trippy and a bit floaty. My songs, in general, they don’t really rely on the mix. They’re all written on acoustic guitar. They’re as good with me just singing them into the microphone in the style of Bob Dylan as they are with a full band. The High Flying Birds album didn’t rely on the mixes. The songs were there. This was a record that—absolutely, 100 percent—relied on the mixes, because they weren’t songs, so to speak. They were grooves and, you know, there weren’t many chords in them. And the mixes weren’t fucking right. And unfortunately, I didn’t have time to go back in and remix it. And now I’m too fucked. I’m fucked. I’ve been on the road for 15 months. I am fucked.

Would you prefer him to release a hip hop album then? Just to satisfy your pointless argument mate? Noel is a fucking god. 

I don't give a fuck what he releases, he's pretty much almost as irrelevant to me as many pub bands are. I'm just pointing out that this varied and eclectic musical spectrum you're talking about isn't really that varied.

I don't give a fuck what he releases, he's pretty much almost as irrelevant to me as many pub bands are. I'm just pointing out that this varied and eclectic musical spectrum you're talking about isn't really that varied.

hahaha pub band. fucking hell. who are you into Stu? 

Which answer that I'm going to give do you think would make Noel's spectrum of songs more varied?

I was saying he's in a pub band, just that he might as well be for how much he grabs my attention now.

Thats fair enough its your opinion, I'm just curious who floats your boat musically?