You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Massive turnout for the march from the Cathedral to the Adelphi, in support of the right to strike, at lunchtime today; thousands of people from all sorts of unions, getting plenty of support from passers-by, too.

Yup great atmosphere down there. Enjoyed watching a woman in her 60s get a gentle reminder from the police to stop shouting "der der der fuck the tories" on the megaphone. 

Loads of support everywhere. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I dropped in on the UCU LJMU picket line this morning (with some choccies from our Branch). I could have gone to any picket, really, but this one was on my bus route.

IMG_20230201_092718.jpg

IMG_20230201_092539.jpg

Well done Angry. Can't fault you. 

16 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Yup great atmosphere down there. Enjoyed watching a woman in her 60s get a gentle reminder from the police to stop shouting "der der der fuck the tories" on the megaphone. 

Loads of support everywhere. 

Are you sure that wasn't @Captain Turdseye in a wig? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Gnasher said:

After the recent scandal with Johnson and the BBC i was kinda thinking they'd balance up their news coverage a bit. Silly me. This headline could've been written by Grant Shapps.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-64469851

They always push this 'teachers are childminders' narrative.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Local Government unions have put in a claim for RPI+2%.  At the latest rate, that would be 15.4%.  I expect the employers (constrained by the Tory Government) will offer fuck-all squared.  It could be another interesting summer.

Seems fair enough, that's less than what's coming for people on mobile and broadband contracts. I wonder if the government will be taking BT et al to task.

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They always push this 'teachers are childminders' narrative.

You could turn that on its head and use it as more of an excuse to demand more money. OK if i stike I'm taking others out of the workplace with me so what you going to do? Be unapologetic about it. Have a bit of hat.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The vile witch hunt against the firefighters has started. DM running an article claiming a firefighter took a selfie in-front of the burning grenfell tower and used it as his tinder profile. 

I'm guessing that they don't have a shred of evidence to back it up though. 

17 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Massive turnout for the march from the Cathedral to the Adelphi, in support of the right to strike, at lunchtime today; thousands of people from all sorts of unions, getting plenty of support from passers-by, too.

estimated turnout was about 3000

there is boss video on twitter

Without wishing to dwell on the point I was trying to make (until it got highjacked) on the Starmer thread. If we remain silent when good people, councillors, Mps etc who have gone out of their way to speak up for us and defend us in the past then say nothing when these people are cast aside then it makes it so much easier for slurs to go unchallenged. You're taking away an important voice. 

Here's the link again. Here WAS the Labour member of Parliament for Kensington. 

Every fuckjng strike they slur workers, every fucking time.