You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bitch Fight between Owen & Piers Morgan

ScouseJim

So by that reckoning do I turn over from now on when Sunday Supplement is on if say Henry Winter is on who I respect as a journalist if it has Shaun Custis on then?

Where the line is drawn is down to the individual. If Owen wants to follow Custis then that's his look out. Was Custis at that paper during Owens time at Newcastle?

Come off it, mate. You know that him following him on twitter and you watching the Sunday Supplement are worlds apart in this.

The fact that he stopped following him when it was 'discovered' shows everything, in my opinion, about Owen. He never really cared or understood us. He was always about wanting to play for England and beat Lineker's record. If he did understand us he wouldn't have followed him in the first place nor would he had stated how he'd always wanted to play for Ferguson when he joined Man Utd.

His tweet the other day about not caring who boo's him as long as his family don't sums him up. He just doesn't care enough what people think, especially those that are supposed to be supporting him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come off it, mate. You know that him following him on twitter and you watching the Sunday Supplement are worlds apart in this.

The fact that he stopped following him when it was 'discovered' shows everything, in my opinion, about Owen. He never really cared or understood us. He was always about wanting to play for England and beat Lineker's record. If he did understand us he wouldn't have followed him in the first place nor would he had stated how he'd always wanted to play for Ferguson when he joined Man Utd.

His tweet the other day about not caring who boo's him as long as his family don't sums him up. He just doesn't care enough what people think, especially those that are supposed to be supporting him.

If the ex-player/Sun issue is such a big issue for you Ian and I am not saying you are wrong about that at all but when Poor Scouser Tommy gets sang then do you sing the Rush part at the end of it Ian considering he was actually seen with that paper numerous times back in the day because it was best for the racing apparently? That makes Rush infinitely worse than Owen surely? Rush was actually a player here when the disaster happened.

I don't like or hate Michael Owen. As I said I respect his achievements for us and his phenomenal talent as an ex-player in the same way I respect Ian Rush and his incredible goalscoring feats for us but I don't rever Ian Rush either. I have no ill-feeling towards Owen and everything is all about image with him depending on the circumstances I couldn't agree more with you there. His career hit the skids the day he left here both internationally and at club level.

I think little Michael is feeling sensitive following his booing by the Geordies.
I honestly don't think he'll be that arsed TBH. He's probably just concentrating on getting in one more appearance for UTD, which will qualify him for a premiership winners medal.

Re Hillsborough,Maxwell started it by putting the price up 3p, giving all the extra cash to the families for a couple of weeks (no small amount of course) then obviously leaving the paper's price where it was. You couldn't escape the feeling of being used.
I remember that and we definitely were used, but there was a considerable amount of money raised through the paper. I seem to remember a figure of £1m being donated. The money was collected while we were out of football because of the disaster. The money sat in the Mirror's/Maxwell's bank account for some time because Maxwell was waiting for the right opportunity for maximum publicity for the Mirror. There was one of those big promotional cheque presentations on the pitch at Anfield.

As for Morgan. Was he working for the Sun at the time of the Hillsborough disaster or am I thinking of someone else ?

If the ex-player/Sun issue is such a big issue for you Ian and I am not saying you are wrong about that at all but when Poor Scouser Tommy gets sang then do you sing the Rush part at the end of it Ian considering he was actually seen with that paper numerous times back in the day because it was best for the racing apparently? That makes Rush infinitely worse than Owen surely? Rush was actually a player here when the disaster happened.

I don't like or hate Michael Owen. As I said I respect his achievements for us and his phenomenal talent as an ex-player in the same way I respect Ian Rush and his incredible goalscoring feats for us but I don't rever Ian Rush either. I have no ill-feeling towards Owen and everything is all about image with him depending on the circumstances I couldn't agree more with you there. His career hit the skids the day he left here both internationally and at club level.

To be honest, I knew nothing of that link between Rush and the Sun but it'll certain change me feelings on him as person.

It ain't so much that I hate Owen because I have nothing but apathy towards him, it's more the fact that I don't like the attitude he comes across with. He wouldn't have followed the fella if he was still here, am sure of that, because of the image you mention. That's what annoys me more than anything. The feeling that we was always getting played by him.

As for Morgan. Was he working for the Sun at the time of the Hillsborough disaster or am I thinking of someone else ?

He was working for The Sun between 1989 and 1994, when he moved onto the News Of The World.

EDIT : He was the showbiz columnist, I think.

I honestly don't think he'll be that arsed TBH. He's probably just concentrating on getting in one more appearance for UTD' date=' which will qualify him for a premiership winners medal.[/quote']

Then I'd advise him to stop 'tweeting' about how he isn't arsed and then his 'focus' will be even sharper.

I don't mind Morgan too much tbh. Though there's so many people we're meant to hate these days I often find myself losing track.

hahaha - you're right, there's an awful lot of 'cunts' out there who should die a horrible death. It's because everyone hates us you know.

Got this sent to me from a Newcastle supporting mate of mine

Why Michael Owen deserved everything that came his way (From The Northern Echo)

By Scott Wilson

WHEN people discover I'm a sports writer, there's generally one thing they want to know. 'Who's the nicest person you've dealt with, and who's the person you've had least time for?'

Having spent seven-and-a-half years on The Northern Echo, there's plenty of people that fall into the first camp so it's incredibly hard to give an answer.

The second part of the query, however, is rather easier to respond to. One person stands out a mile - and to my mind, he got exactly what he deserved on Tuesday night.

"I knew I would get booed as that's what a lot of fans do," said Michael Owen, after his substitute appearance at St James' Park was accompanied by a chorus of catcalls. "But if they knew the facts, then they may have a different opinion."

Okay Michael, well here are some facts to be going on with.

In his four years at Newcastle United, Owen earned just short of £5m. He scored 30 goals and, in his final season, was unable to prevent the Magpies being relegated into the Championship.

He was also thoroughly objectionable from first moment to last.

The days of journalists and footballers rubbing shoulders as equals are long gone, but in my experience, the vast majority of players at Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough have done their best to assist the local and regional press.

They might not like us - particularly when they've just been given four out of ten on a Monday morning - but they accept that papers like The Northern Echo are a valuable link to the supporters that pay their wages.

Not Owen. From the moment he arrived in the North-East, Newcastle's record signing made it quite clear that he had absolutely no interest in speaking to the local media.

Interview requests were repeatedly turned down. Post-match questions were assiduously ignored. The entire regional press pack, not just The Northern Echo, were treated with a mixture of arrogance and contempt.

When Kevin Keegan made Owen captain, we thought things would get better. Instead, they became worse.

As Newcastle careered towards the Championship, their skipper became the invisible man, unable to affect things on the pitch because of injury, unwilling to display the leadership that was required off the park.

Gradually, supporters sensed an indifference to the club's plight, a lack of empathy for Newcastle United as an institution and a refusal to even begin to understand what the club means to the city and its surrounding region.

I could give dozens of examples of Owen being objectionable, but I think this one sums it up best.

Ahead of a derby game with Sunderland, we discovered that Owen had played in the same district youth team as Danny Collins.

I headed off to North Wales and interviewed the pair's teachers and some of the coaches who had guided them through their careers in youth football.

A few days later, I spoke to Collins, who could not have been more helpful as he reminisced about his youth, dug out a few personal old photographs and conveyed a great respect for the volunteers who had helped him as a youngster.

The hope was that Owen would do the same. Three interview requests went in to the player, his agent and Newcastle's media office. All three were turned down.

Even when we promised to ignore anything relating to the derby, and offered to only ask questions relating to his time in the same team as Collins, our pleas were rebuffed.

A day before the piece was due to run, my colleague, Paul Fraser, spotted Owen in the car park at Newcastle's training ground.

He introduced himself to the striker - four years on Tyneside, and he still didn't know who any of the local reporters were - and outlined the piece we had prepared.

"We'd just like to ask you about some of the people who worked with you at that time," he said. "Do you remember a guy called Cledwyn Ashford who managed your old Deesside football team? What impact did he have on your career?"

Owen looked Paul up and down. "No impact at all". And with that, his car door slammed shut.

That's why the booing on Tuesday night was one of my favourite moments of the season so far.

Owen couldn't have made it any more obvious and clear that he didn't want to go to St.James back in 2005 and they were purely a last resort for the WC in 2006 as he wasn't in the regular starting Madrid side. We laugh at the deluded Geordies as much as anybody. I dare say Owen did the same when he was up there. The whole shambolic entrance he got when he joined there as a case in point he must have thought it was a freakshow from day one.

Owen is a cold, cold fish though. My girlfriends brother played in that same Youth district side as Owen and Danny Collins think it was Hawarden and he was even the same growing up apparently.

I`d say its fuckin good of him not to care about what others think.

If he does not do something because of how others might think instead of it being his own decision based on his own beliefs then he is just a hypocrite is he not?

I would hope those who dont buy and read the S** dont do it because they feel nothing but contempt for the paper and not because someone tells them not to do it without them really reflecting over it and why.

I`d say its fuckin good of him not to care about what others think.

If he does not do something because of how others might think instead of it being his own decision based on his own beliefs then he is just a hypocrite is he not?

I would hope those who dont buy and read the S** dont do it because they feel nothing but contempt for the paper and not because someone tells them not to do it without them really reflecting over it and why.

MIssed me point there, or possible I worded it wrongly, but what I was saying was he doesn't care what ANYONE says. Ignore your doubters, yeah. But he never cared whether we liked him, loved him or was indifferent to him when he was here as long as he got into the England side.

As John says there, he went to Newcastle purely to get into the England side. Ironic that he got injured, wasn't that fit and blew up at the World Cup.

Owen couldn't have made it any more obvious and clear that he didn't want to go to St.James back in 2005 and they were purely a last resort for the WC in 2006 as he wasn't in the regular starting Madrid side. We laugh at the deluded Geordies as much as anybody. I dare say Owen did the same when he was up there. The whole shambolic entrance he got when he joined there as a case in point he must have thought it was a freakshow from day one.

Very much so. You only look at the answer at 03.15 on the video. Hardly the sould of enthusiasm about Newcastle. He never once says he wanted to join them, and leaves the Liverpool situation very much up in the air.

It's not on the video, but I remember him being asked if there was a get-out clause, and Shepherd grabbed the mike and wouldn't let him answer it, instead insisting that there wasn't.

[YOUTUBE]UYRWcEKFm_E[/YOUTUBE]

He's a has been,thats it plain and simple,If he's got anything about him then any league winners medal he might claim should be auctioned off and the money donated to charity because lets be honest he hasn't earned it has he? Retirement becon's and its eating away at him he was always 2nd best to Fowler here,Madrid fans dont remember him,Newcastle fans despise him,United fans only chant his name because they think it pisses us off he means fuck all to them either,and more importantly to him he couldn't break Linekers England goal haul.What a waste of a career.