You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

It definitely has the whiff of the walking dead about it these days. The weird, cult like following of characters on social media etc no matter how stupid, dull they appear to be. The ridiculous plot armor that surrounds all the major characters. It just seems like watered down, mindless, fan service to satisfy the gimps on twitter etc. The writers did a great job with the source material, but just hasn't been the same since it left the books behind.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, aws said:

I think Bran is supposed to have done something brilliant by choreographing the NK's death. He knew the NK is a bit of a shithouse lurking on the edge of a battle and wouldn't risk himself until all seemed done and dusted.  Bran even gave Arya the dagger to kill him a few episodes back.  

So he did. 

The annoying little cunt. Still laughing at a post from last weeks episode saying Jaimie should have tipped him out of his wheelchair and walked off. 

• Upvote 1

Mixed emotions here, exceeded expectations in some parts and went to shit in others. 

The battle and everything was good, but Jon did fuck all, and the white walkers all did fuck all too, plenty of main characters in mild peril vs the zombies over and over, but no white walker scraps, missed an opportunity for some decent fight scenes there and watching sections of the army suddenly hit the deck when a walker dies. 

Bran doing fuck all as usual. 

Can't believe the whole Night King story ends like that, literally the first scene of this show is planting the seed for these cunts to come fuck people up, and he suddenly gets popped like that? 

Main characters with plot armour just so they can be involved in the second big battle in episode 5.

Somebody commented saying they are glad the white walkers have been fucked off because they are one dimensional. Thats the fault of the writers, they didn't need to be one dimensional, wouldn't have been hard to attach some kind of reasonable motive to them. 

They should have brought Sean Bean or somebody back for the crypt scene for sansa to recognise down there, another missed opportunity. 

No more melisandre prince that was promised prophecies? She said in the last series she was going to essos for important business, I was expecting her to come back with a big crew of red priests and priestesses with flaming swords and all that. Considering her entire religion is based around the second coming of azor ahai I would have expected her mates to show some interest. 

When Bran said nobody had tried killing the ice dude with dragon fire it was obvious that it wouldn't work, then even more obvious when he just stood there waiting for Dany to flame him, smug cunt.

Seems like the fan theories have been thought about in more depth than what the hired writers have done. 

This programme is usually very dense with character building and plot lines, so far we've had 2 episodes of waiting for a battle to start, and 1 episode of a battle. 

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Mixed emotions here, exceeded expectations in some parts and went to shit in others. 

The battle and everything was good, but Jon did fuck all, and the white walkers all did fuck all too, plenty of main characters in mild peril vs the zombies over and over, but no white walker scraps, missed an opportunity for some decent fight scenes there and watching sections of the army suddenly hit the deck when a walker dies. 

Bran doing fuck all as usual. 

Can't believe the whole Night King story ends like that, literally the first scene of this show is planting the seed for these cunts to come fuck people up, and he suddenly gets popped like that? 

Main characters with plot armour just so they can be involved in the second big battle in episode 5.

Somebody commented saying they are glad the white walkers have been fucked off because they are one dimensional. Thats the fault of the writers, they didn't need to be one dimensional, wouldn't have been hard to attach some kind of reasonable motive to them. 

They should have brought Sean Bean or somebody back for the crypt scene for sansa to recognise down there, another missed opportunity. 

No more melisandre prince that was promised prophecies? She said in the last series she was going to essos for important business, I was expecting her to come back with a big crew of red priests and priestesses with flaming swords and all that. Considering her entire religion is based around the second coming of azor ahai I would have expected her mates to show some interest. 

When Bran said nobody had tried killing the ice dude with dragon fire it was obvious that it wouldn't work, then even more obvious when he just stood there waiting for Dany to flame him, smug cunt.

Seems like the fan theories have been thought about in more depth than what the hired writers have done. 

This programme is usually very dense with character building and plot lines, so far we've had 2 episodes of waiting for a battle to start, and 1 episode of a battle. 

Agreed. He should have been leading the charge with the Dothraki..... 

Visually it was spectacular and enjoyable viewing. Well the bits that you could actually see properly and weren't completely covered in darkness. The plot however, was shit. The White Walker threat that has hung over Westeros since the first  episode is already over? In one day?! Ridiculous. And that all the baddies died Phantom-menace style... come on. So much wrong with that episode but if you switch your brain off and pretend you're watching a mindless zombie movie, it's good fun. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aws said:

Following on from the Hodor wordplay, azor ahai sounds suspiciously like Arya if you say it quickly.  

Fucking hell, how quick do you have to say that for it to sound like Arya? 

Hahah. Pissing myself at that. 

If you say the entire works of Shakespeare quick enough it sounds like ‘Bert’. 

• Upvote 1

I think they've just tried to cram too much in to the last 2 series. If this series was purely based on the night King, and then one more to deal with the iron throne then they might have been able to do it justice, instead we are left with 3 episodes to deal with each war and to attempt to wrap everything up neatly. 

The actors have been tied down to this for almost a decade now though so they probably wanted this wrapped up themselves. 

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Fucking hell, how quick do you have to say that for it to sound like Arya? 

Hahah. Pissing myself at that. 

If you say the entire works of Shakespeare quick enough it sounds like ‘Bert’. 

For fuck's sake NV, everybody knows the letter z is silent in High Valyrian.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thoth said:

Night King, as ever, led the White Walker gegenpress well but switched off at the crucial moment when Arya arrived unmarked at the back post to send Winterfell through. That's what happens when you play zonal rather than pick up man to man

He did not stay cool in this moment. 

Just watched it on my Todd in a pitch black room and loved the episode BUT I have a few issues...

The white walkers were built up to be the biggest threat ever but to have them killed off in one episode with three still to go feels like a massive anticlimax.

The obvious battle with Cersei and Euron just feels a bit low key. The Night king was supposed to be the worst of the worst so how can we expect them to be more of a threat?

That is not to say I did not appreciate the excellence of the episode. It was fantastic and I think the evolution of Arya to where she is now has been one of the highlights of the the series but I just think the story arc with the whites has been a disappointment.

Hopefully, I’m shut up with the last episodes and it all turns out amazing but right now, I’m a bit confused.

I can't believe its not been mentioned yet but some cunt got Melisandre with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique and no-one saw who did it. My money is on Sam the fucking shithouse but whoever it was will have a serious impact in the next few episodes. 

• Upvote 1

Alive or dead characters? Love a bit of necrophilia, me. 

Alive now there isn't too much to choose from. Can't choose between Missandei and Khaleesi so I'll have them both. Wouldn't mind a suckle on a Giant's teat. 

Most overrated is definitely Sansa. 

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Alive or dead characters? Love a bit of necrophilia, me. 

Alive now there isn't too much to choose from. Can't choose between Missandei and Khaleesi so I'll have them both. Wouldn't mind a suckle on a Giant's teat. 

Most overrated is definitely Sansa

Get out

Lighting aside, I thought it was great. There were maybe a few too many moments when there was no chance of survival and all was lost... but you knew it wasn't because you knew there were 5 hours of GOT still to go. With that said, it was breathtaking in terms of cinematography and real edge of the seat viewing.

Another criticism has been about the lack of deaths, but maybe we've all been lured into a false sense of security & there is absolute mayhem still to come?