You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Lawton hates Liverpool FC

Nathanzx

Carra's tackle was a bad one, and more often than not that would be a red card.

Lawton is an old timer sports journalist. He's entitled to write it as he sees it. And we shouldn't get so wound up by it one way or the other.

The most memorable thing from that game was that it was an easy 3-1 win. We bossed them from start to finish. We didn't pick them off. We didn't do the counter attack thing. We didn't hang on. We weren't lucky. We bossed them. And that fact alone, more than any tackle, is what is most upsetting to Ferguson. He knows we're on the way back.

Sure, Carra's put in a bad tackle. And yes, Lawton can be a little pompous at times. But so what?

3-1 baby. 3-1.

We certainly live up to our stereotype. If people don't see things exactly as we do, they HATE us. We're victims. Life's so unfair.

Pardon me if I don't take a seat on the self-pity bus. Life's too short. Opportunities to grab and all of that. Get a life you feckless fuckers.

We certainly live up to our stereotype. If people don't see things exactly as we do, they HATE us. We're victims. Life's so unfair.

Pardon me if I don't take a seat on the self-pity bus. Life's too short. Opportunities to grab and all of that. Get a life you feckless fuckers.

There's a job in the Spectator waiting for you.

Hater keep on hating.

Hater.

That's priceless.

"Those scouse ruffians were infuriated by a harmless two footed lunge which was merely a retaliation to the worst tackle I have ever seen, EVER! Lucas is shit, he didn't need to jump and Rafael would have slid under him by burrowing a tunnel to evade the brazilian."

Clueless cunt.

If someone thought that tackle was the worst ever, what do they think of Schumacher on Battiston in the WC? At least JC got punished for his.

Keep wallowing Dicko. I've never voted Tory, but if you go through life with the attitude that everyone hates you, your life's only going one way.

I don't wallow in anything.

But stereotypes by their nature are fabricated constructs posing as a facsimile of the truth.

The fact that you used the words self pity is testament that you have a view of the city & its inhabitants that corresponds with the stereotype put forward by the magazine in question.

You come across like an ex smoker for three months vehemently banging the anti smoking drum.

Oh and just to address your last point and seeing as it is a football forum, Alex Ferguson has spent his entire football life thinking everyone hates him.

He hasn't done too badly.

Lawton doesn't hate us, he fuckin loves us and he has showed that over the years. The reason I read him is down to his unwavering support over Hillsborough and his reporting of the fact we are much more than just another football club. His reporting of the 2005 final brought a lump to my throat.

Lawton fell out with us when we sold Xabi and he began to question Rafa's man management acumen. He had it in for him and even suggested that Kenny should've been appointed before soft shite in the summer.

Carraghers tackle was bad and thats how he saw it and it's true he looks to support purple features from time to time but he loves us really. He's told me when i asked him.

I don't wallow in anything.

But stereotypes by their nature are fabricated constructs posing as a facsimile of the truth.

The fact that you used the words self pity is testament that you have a view of the city & its inhabitants that corresponds with the stereotype put forward by the magazine in question.

You come across like an ex smoker for three months vehemently banging the anti smoking drum.

Oh and just to address your last point and seeing as it is a football forum, Alex Ferguson has spent his entire football life thinking everyone hates him.

He hasn't done too badly.

No he doesn't. He has countless friends in the media, in football, business and horse racing.

And my view of the city has got nothing to do with it, but it's certainly not what you think it is. You're trying to tie the point I was making about 'Lawton hates us' with my view on the city?

I read the spectator and the new statesman. And the guardian and the independent and the times. But never the telegraph or the red tops.

We get a more than fair write up from the press. But we have more than our fair share of gossamer skinned supporters who are desperate to take the slightest slight personally and jump upon it with an irrational anger. It's fucking tedious.

Not a word from James Lawton in his comment coulmn today about Jonny Evans's assault on Holden which needed 26 stitches, left the knee bone exposed, and has required surgery that has ruled him out for the rest of the year, not just the season - and possibly too cost him a cup final appearance. Not a word.

Yet I just noticed that on Saturday in his column he launched a second attack on Carragher's "sickening tackle". It's got nothing to do with being "thin-skinned" or taking criticism about the club personally: I have no objection per se to what he wrote about Carragher - he deserved a red - even if Lawton's faux outrage was exaggerated. But then why ignore completely a far worse tackle? Presumably just because it was perpetrated by a player for his friend Ferguson's team? Why shy away from discussing the disgraceful assault on Holden?

One just wants consistency and balance. This isn't opinion from James Lawton, it's pure spin and it's this kind of disingenuous agenda that allows Ferguson and Manchester United to get away with bullying the FA and the rest of the game.

Not a word from James Lawton in his comment coulmn today about Jonny Evans's assault on Holden which needed 26 stitches, left the knee bone exposed, and has required surgery that has ruled him out for the rest of the year, not just the season - and possibly too cost him a cup final appearance. Not a word.

Yet I just noticed that on Saturday in his column he launched a second attack on Carragher's "sickening tackle". It's got nothing to do with being "thin-skinned" or taking criticism about the club personally: I have no objection per se to what he wrote about Carragher - he deserved a red - even if Lawton's faux outrage was exaggerated. But then why ignore completely a far worse tackle? Presumably just because it was perpetrated by a player for his friend Ferguson's team?

One just wants consistency and balance. This isn't opinion from James Lawton, it's pure spin and it's this kind of disingenuity that allows Ferguson and Manchester United to get away with bullying the FA and the rest of the game.

It does in a round-about way. These journos know we will react and that there are lots of us and when attention is more important than integrity, this is what you get.

I've never really understood those "I hope he's going to write an identical article next week for another terrible tackle". He clearly can't write the same article again the next week, he'd be doing the same thing every fucking week. Lawton's generally pretty good to LFC and he obviously just took issue with what was a horrible tackle from Carragher. People need to be a little more thick skinned when it comes to journos having a pop.

I've never really understood those "I hope he's going to write an identical article next week for another terrible tackle". He clearly can't write the same article again the next week, he'd be doing the same thing every fucking week. Lawton's generally pretty good to LFC and he obviously just took issue with what was a horrible tackle from Carragher. People need to be a little more thick skinned when it comes to journos having a pop.

But he has written about Carragher twice now - both times calling it "sickening" challenge. So he's quite happy to write the same thing each week. Only just stops short of calling for a lifetime ban for Carra.

Reading the media today - including Tom Dart in The Times suggesting that Holden should have been sent off for his equally "reckless" challenge on Evans :wallbutt:- the conclusion can only be that as a journalist one strikes a tone of utter moral outrage when a creative Manchester United player is tackled, but a code of omerta operates when a United player is the perpetrator.

It's actually less about defending Liverpool, and more about exposing the culture of deference that surrounds Manchester united.

But he has written about Carragher twice now - both times calling it "sickening" challenge. So he's quite happy to write the same thing each week. Only just stops short of calling for a lifetime ban for Carra.

Reading the media today - including Tom Dart in The Times suggesting that Holden should have been sent off for his equally "reckless" challenge on Evans :wallbutt:- the conclusion can only be that as a journalist one strikes a tone of utter moral outrage when a creative Manchester United player is tackled, but a code of omerta operates when a United player is the perpetrator.

It's actually less about defending Liverpool, and more about exposing the culture of deference that surrounds Manchester united.

Yes, there was a press blackout on Rooney's elbow wasn't there. If only every single media outlet in the country had laid into him and made a massive deal of it, eh?

The Evans tackle wasn't even in the same league as Carragher's, Evans gets the ball and Holden actually goes over the ball. I don't think there was any malice from either of them. Clearly you'll disagree and think that Evans was trying to kill him but I fear that you won't be for turning.

It's a 50/50 and Evans actually gets the ball with Holden going right over it:

R7QJuGP6s3k

Sometimes, in massive 50/50s one, or both, of the players get hurt. It happens.

The impact is almost symmetrical actually. Holden's right leg impacts with Evans' knee in the same way that Evans' right foot does with Holden's left knee. Holden get there a second later so gets hurt. It could just as easily have been the other way round.

Edit - And it turns out that Holden agree's with me; just seen this:

Holden - "Just had sincere phone call from Jonny Evans wishing me best in recovery, def (sic) wasn't intentional just unfortunate part of game."

Yet I just noticed that on Saturday in his column he launched a second attack on Carragher I have no objection per se to what he wrote about Carragher - he deserved a red - even if Lawton's faux outrage was exaggerated.

One just wants consistency and balance. This isn't opinion from James Lawton, it's pure spin and it's this kind of disingenuous agenda that allows to get away with bullying the FA and the rest of the game.

The best way of dealing with the Carragher tackle, is how Kenny did in his post-game interview that day. Kenny, who has worked in the media, and still does, dealt with it better than any journo. I don't think it needs any more comment, yet alone the histrionics from Lawton.

Edited by mypost