You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

Everyone has a price.

LFC has always been about the team ethic rather than a number of superstars. Is Torres replacable? Well at an average of 22 (ish) appearances a season in the league, then he clearly is.

Could we invest £50 million in the market to improve the side, that will all depend on the quality of the signings. The risk of him leaving is whether we can attract the top top players, but Spurs and Arsenal have done well without the marquee signings off city, utd or chelsea.

I hope he doesn't go and certainly not in this window.

Stop the shit stirring.

Did you not read what the club has said? "The bid has been rejected. THE PLAYER IS NOT FOR SALE". No mention of the price or the bid being smaller. HE IS NOT FOR SALE. Full stop.

Of course if Torres pushes for a move and if he goes to them, you will still be driving the agenda on how low ambitions are for FSG.

If Torres is forcing the issue, having made clear back in December that he wasn't planning on going anywhere and having clearly relished Dalglish's return as manager, then there will be an underlying reason. Why will he have become so disillusioned? I doubt very much he is motivated purely by monetary gain, so how to explain it? Sid Lowe's a Reds fan and an extremely reputable and honest journalist, and he's making it clear that Torres is unhappy at the absence of investment, or any sign of intent, from the owners.

So is it the time for a statement from Torres to say its all bollocks?

If we sign Suarez, that's what I expect to happen. Rightly or wrongly, it would appear Torres has looked at this window, thought, like some on here, we'd end up again with no-one, and just figured, fuck it, we're not going to be bringing in any top class players despite the change of owners, so if that's the case then I'm off.

If we sign Suarez that might go some way to persuading him that things will be different under the new owners and we'd be able to sign top class players.

If Torres isn't for sale now, then he will be in the Summer, that's an absolute given.......Unless he signs a new deal which seems very unlikely. FSG are playing this as they should. Let Torres kick up the fuss and let it be known that in no uncertain terms, this is Torres wanting away, not the club wanting to sell him.

I'd resigned myself to losing him in the Summer anyway, before all this. I was just hoping that it would be to Italy, Spain or maybe even Germany. The thought of him playing for Chelsea seriously makes my shit itch. On the other hand, with the rebuilding Chelsea need to do, maybe them spunking £50m on Torres will work out for us in the long run. We get to rebuild, Chelsea have £50m less to do their rebuilding with(i'm reaching i know).

If this is the reason the Suarez deal hasn't happened then I think we are finished as a top class team. Not only would we be selling one of our best players to a rival (something we've never done before!) we would be setting a precendent that our best players can be bought.

In Suarez we would be signing a good, albeit inferior player as a replacement. Suarez is excellent as a partner for Torres but if were just swapping one with the other then any aspirations we have of getting back to the top of english league will be gone for good.

If this is the reason the Suarez deal hasn't happened then I think we are finished as a top class team. Not only would we be selling one of our best players to a rival (something we've never done before!) we would be setting a precendent that our best players can be bought.

In Suarez we would be signing a good, albeit inferior player as a replacement. Suarez is excellent as a partner for Torres but if were just swapping one with the other then any aspirations we have of getting back to the top of english league will be gone for good.

Milan did the exact same thing with Kaka. 2 years later they are on top of the league and in the last 16 of the Champions League. There are countless other examples.

Even ambitious clubs have to find a way to generate money and take good deals when they're offered.

The problem is that many of us dont believe the NOT FOR SALE line . It's NOT FOR SALE AT THE PRICE YOU HAVE OFFERED and if they pay £50m or whatever the number sadly he will go.

But that is true of every player in the world.

Barcelona will reject bid after bid for Messi but if a club has enough money there will come a point where that no has to become a begrudging yes.

Why people are trying to pretend any different is beyond me.

Of course. I'm not stupid to think otherwise. But lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

United sold Ronaldo. .

It happens. For the right price. Torres will be no different.

But unless something happens, lets stop talking about FSG!

So now we should be emulating the Glazers.

New depths for Liverpool Sports Ventures.

Just listened to Ballague on SSN - and he sounded like he was making things up as he went along.I'm shitting meself here thinking Torres is going and he's asked for a move, and it;s based on the back of this Spanish dickhead. nothing he has ever said has come to pass so why are Sky taking it as gosple.

I refuse to believe Torres would want to go to them anyway, so I'm not panicking until He or Kenny come out and say something.

Milan did the exact same thing with Kaka. 2 years later they are on top of the league and in the last 16 of the Champions League. There are countless other examples.

Even ambitious clubs have to find a way to generate money and take good deals when they're offered.

Absolute nonsense, in fairness. You're saying we should be at the bottom of the food chain. One of the 3 most successful teams in European history.

When were the mancs a selling club before Glazer arrived? When were Real?

When were the Italians before their league got shit?

And we were number 1 in Europe, before the Yank scum started selling anything they could.

How many Asians are gonna buy a Charlie Adam NOmark number 1 shirt>?

Players are WORTH big fees because the REAL CLUBS, the BIG ONES can ALWAYS profit. Its the shite that sell players. Are we another Blackpool now?

So NESV are gonna do what even Hicks and Gilette didnt have the neck to do.

They're pulling people's chains. Some people are too dim to see it.

Words fail me.. :wallbutt:

Before we all lynch Nando, all I'll say is we should take with a massive pinch of salt what SSN, Talksport and the London media sources are saying.

I'm not naive and I don't for one second disbelieve that his head has been turned over the past year or so, and with good reason given the state of us. I also don't buy the idea that he had no intention of leaving last summer either. But this bid looks to me like a massive piece of opportunism and shit stirring by them lot. If they where serious about getting him they'd have made the move in early Jan. Even if Nando gets down on his knees and begs the club there's fuck all chance we'd sell him in January with 3 days to go. It would be suicide.

Chelsea have just lost out in their long pursuit of David Luiz. They are slipping in the league with an ageing squad and the fans are getting on the club's back. This bid looks like a handy bit of PR on their part, because even they must know that they really have fuck all chance of getting him now. They may well be sowing their seeds and turning his head for a proper bid in the summer, but I'd take little notice of the shite coming out of Sky at the moment as it's probably coming straight from Chelsea. He won't be going any where, yet.

Before we all lynch Nando, all I'll say is we should take with a massive pinch of salt what SSN, Talksport and the London media sources are saying.

I'm not naive and I don't for one second disbelieve that his head has been turned over the past year or so, and with good reason given the state of us. I also don't buy the idea that he had no intention of leaving last summer either. But this bid looks to me like a massive piece of opportunism and shit stirring by them lot. If they where serious about getting him they'd have made the move in early Jan. Even if Nando gets down on his knees and begs the club there's fuck all chance we'd sell him in January with 3 days to go. It would be suicide.

Chelsea have just lost out in their long pursuit of David Luiz. They are slipping in the league with an ageing squad and the fans are getting on the club's back. This bid looks like a handy bit of PR on their part, because even they must know that they really have fuck all chance of getting him now. They may well be sowing their seeds and turning his head for a proper bid in the summer, but I'd take little notice of the shite coming out of Sky at the moment as it's probably coming straight from Chelsea. He won't be going any where, yet.

Good post and l agree, "wants to believe"... with all of this.

Seems about right, the club would be bonkers to even consider a bid at this late stage in the window.

No one in this thread has said Suarez is worth anything close to Torres or said he's as good a player as Torres.

Where did I say I was talking about people in this thread Stumpy? Or are you getting overly sensitive. I was referring to the silly article Beantown posted and the stupid idea people in the media have that selling Torres could get two or three players in and somehow replace him. If we sell for a publicly announced price, the price of every other player we're interested in will go up because they'll know we have money from his sale. Now stop being stupid and revenge negging.

I put this in the MF but the point is equally valid here:

I think the only thing that is true is that Chelsea made a bid, which was rejected totally by Liverpool. This bid was made public by Chelsea-sympathetic media outlets, to which Liverpool responded with a firm no. I've no doubt the club already informed the player that all bids were to be rejected. The media are scrabbling around as to the amount involved, so the higher estimates are being backed up with the "get-out clause" notion, which itself is rumour and speculation. Some media outlets have been so caught out by this that it's impossible to get a straight story, hence the contradictions flying about.

Meanwhile, Sky are doing their level best to rake in the readies via their Skybet platform. They'll continue to feed varying stories throughout the day/weekend, by which point it will all be much ado about nothing.

This rumour mill is fed by people constantly finding a small element of truth and milking it for all it's worth in some misguided claim of "there might be something in it this time", "there's no smoke without fire" and "it's happened before".

Of course I know there's a possibility that I'm completely wrong and a move is in the offing, but I prefer to calmly sit back and wait. I'll save the bile and hysteria for when it actually happens, if at all.

if the club get an offer that they think is acceptable , he's off... the reports are true he wants out to many broken promises made to him over singnings and who can blame him.. he's 26 now and hung round for good bit of a year and a half when we have been shit with our squad constanly getting weaker.

don't know how o take these new owners if they have ambition to be at top again there certainly not going about i the right way i.e selling torres and not signing anyone after all the noises hey been making this window. are they trying to fool us time will tell..

lets be honest we all knew this day would come but i didnt think he go to that lot