You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson Mega Thread: The Sequel

Dicko

That's up there with any of the outlandish statements Hodgson has come out with (and there have been years worth of them in just six months) since he arrived.

Did I miss something or does Hodgson believe that we just survived relegation by the skin of our teeth last season because I could have sworn I saw a side, despite it being the worst season for years, fight for a Champions League place until the penultimate weekend of the season.

Hodgson is taking the piss out of every Liverpool fan with nonsense such as this. Who the fuck does he think he's kidding?

Just go now Roy before you wind up being utterly loathed.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if sacking Hodgson before the United game is such a good idea. Perhaps it gives the squad a massive boost but it could also throw the squad into turmoil. The new manager wouldn't have the time to set up a gameplan in time for the match on Saturday so we would be forced into the Hodgson tactical plan. I think after the United game would be a perfect time to put in a new manager. He would still have 2 games the next week but Blackpool Away shouldn't be a difficult tactical test and Everton at Anfield is more about getting your players up for the occassion.

League games are infinitely more important at the moment. The danger would be that a win in a 3rd round cup tie extended his spell at the helm for another month or two.

I'm not sure if sacking Hodgson before the United game is such a good idea. Perhaps it gives the squad a massive boost but it could also throw the squad into turmoil. The new manager wouldn't have the time to set up a gameplan in time for the match on Saturday so we would be forced into the Hodgson tactical plan. I think after the United game would be a perfect time to put in a new manager. He would still have 2 games the next week but Blackpool Away shouldn't be a difficult tactical test and Everton at Anfield is more about getting your players up for the occassion.

I don't think it's a good idea to let this imbecile led the team against his best friend... His tactics will be all wrong, and then you have the aspect of not wanting to upset demento... I expect us to sit ultra deep, resting gerrard and Torres and loose... Whilst I think Utd are there for the taking if we press high and use our best team, the Fa cup is one of two possible trophies left this season...

Sack him today and have Kenny take us there...

I don't think it's a good idea to let this imbecile led the team against his best friend... His tactics will be all wrong, and then you have the aspect of not wanting to upset demento... I expect us to sit ultra deep, resting gerrard and Torres and loose... Whilst I think Utd are there for the taking if we press high and use our best team, the Fa cup is one of two possible trophies left this season...

Sack him today and have Kenny take us there...

If its true hes getting sacked on Thursday could be perfect timing for Kenny to come in and give us a lift for Saturday .

Doubt Roy will go though. Hes clinging on like a bad habit.

Roy Hodgson, July 1 2010: "The number one priority is to try and help the team do a bit better than last year and get back into those Champions League spots, where the club has always been and still wants to be, and to make certain my work is on the field with the players at the training ground and on match day, attempting to be quite simply what I've always done which is a football coach."

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

I remember saying at the start of the season that we will do very well if we get into the top half of the table by 19 games,

The Echo version:

“When you’re next to bottom after seven games and you have four points you are staring at a black hole. I remember saying back then – and I don’t apologise for repeating it – we will do very well if we get out of the hole and get ourselves to the top half of the table by 19 games".

Looks like the Express reporter wasn't paying attention.

Do you think? If they were going to get rid of him they'd have done it by now. I'd say it's a certainty he'll be there.

EDIT - We're playing on Sunday........

Exactly.

I am dreading the cup tie with Manchester United. I hope I am wrong but I cannot see us going to Old Trafford and getting a positive result with Hodgson in charge.

I found his comment after the cup draw was made about it being a shame that 2 big clubs were drawn to play each other so early in the competition to be quite negative. It is the sort of comment that someone impartial commenting on the draw would come out with.

I have just about reached the point with this guy whereby I will have to stop reading or anything that he says. There are three things about him that really really irritate me

1) Actions during the game - During games when we concede a goal or are struggling he either sits in the dugout and does nothing or stands on the sideline and looks at his shoes (I have the same criticisms of Sammy Lee) and yet as soon as the game is finished he cannot stop talking general crap. As soon as we score a goal he is up jumping around shouting instructions (ermm too late). Decent/good/great managers react during times of adversity. As someone behind me shouted the other day "get yourselves out of this lads because nothing is coming from the bench"

2) His constant desire to look clever whilst moving the goalposts - This statement "I remember saying at the start of the season that we will do very well if we get into the top half of the table by 19 games, because by then we’ll have got a bit of discipline and organisation in our game and the philosophy I’m preaching will be better understood,” said Hodgson. Its just complete utter bollocks - firstly I actually think this is a downright lie. I am not categorically saying that he meant it to be a lie but I do not believe he ever said this at the start of the season. He definetly made this statement after about ten games when he realised he did not actually want to be "judged after ten games" because he started saying after about 12 games that after the bad start this club had I think we will do very well to get into the top half by the turn of the year - again almost like he was trying to suggest someone else was in charge during the bad start. Now he has said that we are in the top half of the table with still two games in hand - its an absolute joke

3) His constant desire to lower expectations and the buy in by the press - After the Wolves game the interviewer on the BBC asked whether he would agree that losing to "Northampton, Blackpool and Wolves at home were three unacceptable losses" and he responded by saying the Northampton result cannot be included as it was virtually a reserve side who almost never play for the first team - ermm from memory 7 internationals started or were involved in the game - and then on the other two results he said it was a dangerous thing to say what is "acceptable and unacceptable" as players are not robots and are human beings that sometimes play well but not always.

Many from the press do not press him on these type of comments or many of the others he has made and yet if he were foreign or managing Utd they would be all over him for these types of comments. Whereas with us its "give him time", "the team is not good enough". I don't think anyone thinks the team is great but its still good enough to be challenging for Europe - especially with how everyone is beating everyone this season. I mean Chelsea have won 1 in eight and they are still in 5th!!!!

I have just about reached the point with this guy whereby I will have to stop reading or anything that he says. His constant desire to look clever whilst moving the goalposts - This statement "I remember saying at the start of the season that we will do very well if we get into the top half of the table by 19 games, because by then we’ll have got a bit of discipline and organisation in our game and the philosophy I’m preaching will be better understood,” said Hodgson. Its just complete utter bollocks - firstly I actually think this is a downright lie. I am not categorically saying that he meant it to be a lie but I do not believe he ever said this at the start of the season.

According to the Echo he didn't say it. He's under intense pressure and rightly so, but he's getting slated for something he maybe didn't say. I'd be interested to know if other papers have printed the Express version or the Echo version.

Exactly.

I am dreading the cup tie with Manchester United. I hope I am wrong but I cannot see us going to Old Trafford and getting a positive result with Hodgson in charge.

I found his comment after the cup draw was made about it being a shame that 2 big clubs were drawn to play each other so early in the competition to be quite negative. It is the sort of comment that someone impartial commenting on the draw would come out with.

At least it won't cost us another 3 pts in the league.

The Echo version:

“When you’re next to bottom after seven games and you have four points you are staring at a black hole. I remember saying back then – and I don’t apologise for repeating it – we will do very well if we get out of the hole and get ourselves to the top half of the table by 19 games".

Looks like the Express reporter wasn't paying attention.

It's still shit however you look at it: basically, you've played 7 games so there are still another 36 points to play for, and you don't expect to pick up enough points from 12 games to get into the top half of the table after 19 games?

Hodgson's lines here are exactly the same stuff that got Benitez fired at Inter, he is just saying things in the roundabout way that he always talks:

"Being honest about it, I am hoping that one day I will get a chance to stamp a little more of my authority and philosophy on the team by choosing some more of the players."

"It is not often mentioned, but I have not been that active in the transfer market since I have been here."

He leaves it short of "if you don't like that, go talk to my agent"...

You would like to think in any line of work that it wouldn't take six months to learn or to ingrate into your work place.

He is claiming that it has taken him six months to take a team full of internationals to learn how to man to man mark and to sit back and defend, then has the audacity to claim its not his team so we can't blame him??

This just makes him sound foolish and silly

I see Aurelio has kind of backed the manager (not a full pledge of support like but none the less it is one) They in some ways have to do so, cant come out and say he is shit because thats him finished (Riera springs to mind here) But my point is the ones that have been sort of backing the manager are the ones he signed and no offence to Joe Cole or Aurelio and Konchesky but none of our big players are coming out and doing the same.

If Reina, Agger, Gerrard or Torres did the same I would sit up and listen maybe but i just find it interesting that none of the big names are saying jack about it all.