You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson Mega Thread: The Sequel

Dicko

Relegation is a real prospect this season, our away form bears that out.

I simply can't believe he's still in charge, we'll be extremely lucky to get a result at Blackburn away as we were to Bolton at fucking home!

Do one Roy.

Next 5 league games (all in Jan) will shape the rest of our season. All 6 pointers.

Blackburn (A)

Blackpool (A)

Everton (H)

Wolves (A)

Fulham (H)

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Hodgson on the touchline the other day shouting "TESTUDO!!!"

My name is Royimus Decimus Hodgsonus, Commander of the Armies of Fleet Street, General of the Neuchâtel Xamax Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Alexis Fergurilius. Father to a murdered Bristol City career, husband to a murdered Blackburn Rovers career. And I will have my vengeance against Al-Fayed*, in this life or the next.

*For saying Mark Hughes is better looking.

My name is Royimus Decimus Hodgsonus, Commander of the Armies of Fleet Street, General of the Neuchâtel Xamax Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Alexis Fergurilius. Father to a murdered Bristol City career, husband to a murdered Blackburn Rovers career. And I will have my vengeance against Al-Fayed*, in this life or the next.

*For saying Mark Hughes is better looking.

Hahahahahaaahaha. best thing i read in a long time

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

ROY HODGSON has pleaded with the owners at Liverpool to back him in the transfer window in a bid to shore up his faltering reign.

Liverpool boss Hodgson said he hopes he will have the chance to “stamp his authority” on his squad after saying he had largely been working with the players he inherited from Rafa Benitez.

Hodgson’s call came after the 2-1 win against Bolton on Saturday and would seem likely to fall on deaf ears, with the club’s owners, the Fenway Sports Group, having decided he is not the man to lead Liverpool forward long-term.

Liverpool travel to Blackburn tomorrow with Hodgson on the brink of the sack, but the Anfield manager believes fresh faces would give the club a boost.

I remember saying at the start of the season that we will do very well if we get into the top half of the table by 19 games, because by then we’ll have got a bit of discipline and organisation in our game and the philosophy I’m preaching will be better understood,” said Hodgson.

“I’m also hoping that I will get a chance one day to stamp a little bit more of my authority and philosophy on the team by choosing more of the players.

“It’s not often mentioned, but I’ve not been that active in the transfer market here.”

Hodgson spent about £25m in the summer on Raul Meireles, Christian Poulsen, Paul Konchesky and Brad Jones. Joe Cole was recruited on a free transfer in a deal that was set up before Hodgson’s arrival.

It is unlikely, however, that Hodgson will be at the forefront of any dealings, with Liverpool director of football strategy Damien Comolli having lined up a move for Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux in a cut-price deal.

Now I could be wrong but in do not remember him saying the bit in bold at the start if the season to us. All that sticks out in my head is judge me after ten games and few other bits amongst them lines. I could be really wrong though.

He probably referenced then because at the start of the season, he wasn't being scrutinised so closely, despite saying a lot of concerning things. Infact there was great awe and much fawning that we had a man who spoke with such transparency; "refreshing", I think was the word.

Roy give it a rest:

LPD article:

Start "UNDER PRESSURE and with the threat of the axe hovering over his head, Roy Hodgson could perhaps do without a reminder of the last time he was jettisoned from a Premier League hotseat.

But the Liverpool manager remains in defiant mood as he takes his stuttering team to Blackburn Rovers this evening.

Hodgson spent 18 months in charge at Ewood Park before being unceremoniously shown the door with his team bottom of the table.

While things aren’t quite that desperate at Anfield, with Saturday’s much-needed win over Bolton Wanderers moving Liverpool back into the top half of the table, doubts are growing over Hodgson’s long-term prospects with owners Fenway Sports Group thought to be assessing possible replacements.

Among those is Ralf Rangnick, the highly-rated German who resigned as coach of Bundesliga side Hoffenheim at the weekend following a difference of opinion with the club’s owner.

But Hodgson remains positive about his future, insisting he is doing his best to justify his appointment and rise above the “negativity” he believes is hampering his efforts.

“When you get given the job you climb up to the top of a greasy pole – we all do that – but at least you are on the pole and you have been given the chance,” says the 63-year-old.

“I am on an exceptionally lofty pole because the club is one of the biggest in the world and that is why when you get the job here you are so pleased you are chosen.

Still it does not justify holding on for dear life to a job you are not good enough for. The problem is Hodgson thinks he has earned the right to manage Liverpool!

“I will be doing my best during the time I am working here to justify my selection and trying to get the team playing the sort of football we played against Bolton. But it was not just against Bolton, I can give you six or seven games where we have played as well as that.

Wow, beating Bolton at home with an overtime goal, must be another one of your famous victories Roy! Fact is we have played 29 official games and we have been absolutely shit most of the time.

“I can also, with no attempt at modesty, point out we have played 10 difficult games in Europe without even using the bulk of our first-team players and we have reached the last 32 of the Europa League.

Impressive as that might seem, was this not the same team that you have slated after Northampton? You can't pick and choose when you are responsible for their performances

“I still see a lot of things positively and my glass is absolutely half full rather than half empty at the moment.”

Hodgson has laid down several markers since his appointment in July, the first of which was for him to be judged after 10 games and then to ensure the team was in the top half of the table by the halfway stage of the campaign.

10 games that is what you said! Guilty as charged then!

After 10 matches the team had just 12 points following a woeful start and, while the win over Bolton ensured Liverpool met his second target, Hodgson admits the only thing consistent about his team is their inconsistency.

“Once you go outside of the top five clubs we are all guilty of the same thing – a good performance followed by a poor one,” he says.

Point is we're supposed to be one of those top 5 teams, stop moving the goal posts and lowering our expectations!

“It is important if we want to finish even top of that pile (the teams outside the top five) we knock that inconsistency out of our game.

Do something about how you approach games then!

“A lot of the negativity has been somewhat unfounded and I said very early in the season, probably after seven games when we were in the bottom three, that if we can get to 19 games and find ourselves in the top half of the table that would be the best we could hope for.

Your a liar, when did you say this? I sure as hell think I would have noticed if you did... What I do know is that you got the job because you said that you would get more out of the resources and were confident that you did not need much in terms of transfer money.

“That is what we have achieved so far and I am hoping in the second half of the season we will kick on, especially if there is the possibility to add a player or two in the transfer window.” End

First of all you have been shit in the transfer market, probably the worst in the PL this season, so I hope you never ever get an input into any of our transfers ever again.. Your a dead man walking, refusing to go, as you are waiting for that big fat payoff and thereby dragging this great club into the dirt! Any transfers should be handled by Comolli, with the incoming manager and the clubs philosophy of football in mind.(Pass and move, high pressure, attacking intent, so of course that's the kind of manager they need to look for)

Why on earth the Yanks keep stalling I don't know, because with a manager who has lost the fans, the owners and at least half our squad, this is unlikely to end well. Get a caretaker in there now, let's try to salvage something from this season before it's to late.

FSG/NESV really needs to man up as they are about to loose the goodwill that they gained whilst buying the club by dragging their feet and stalling on doing the inevitable!

A couple of signings like Honda, Hazard, Young, N'Zogbia, Turan, Lukaku, Elia, Aguero, Defour wouldn't go amiss either

I agree. Only 6 points separates us in 9th and Fulham in 18th. Out of our next 4 league games, 3 are away from home (Blackburn, Blackpool and Wolves) where our form is woeful, and our only home game is the derby against Everton.

Troubled times ahead.

But Roy has said he is a "glass half full person". We have two games in hand, which if won would leave us 6th. As bad as it has been that would be progress from last season.:whistle:

Guest TesticleOReilly
But Roy has said he is a "glass half full person". We have two games in hand, which if won would leave us 6th. As bad as it has been that would be progress from last season.:whistle:

This is the problem with Roy's soundbites, and his chums in the newspaper columns. 2 games in hand isn't 6 points on the board, never has been, and never has that been more apparent than during Roy's time at the club. Fuck, one of those games in hand is against Blackpool, and there's not many of us that would stick money on a Liverpool result. Blackpool. That's how shit we are.

Guest ian garro
" I Said at the start of the season that if we can get to April, within touching distance of 17th we would have done well"

Fingers crossed for that then...

Something struck me when you hear Broughton's comments on Hodgson from the start of the season. Hodgson honestly thought & believed he was a better manager than Benitez. I suppose it must be a lot easier to con other people when you've conned yourself.

Something struck me when you hear Broughton's comments on Hodgson from the start of the season. Hodgson honestly thought & believed he was a better manager than Benitez. I suppose it must be a lot easier to con other people when you've conned yourself.

In all fairness, he could not very well say 'he isn't as good as the previous manager that we have just sacked'! We all knew that he wasn't, we all knew he was not appointed for the good of the football club, we all knew he was appointed because he suited the parasites and the board!

And being English he was always going to provide nice press for the club.

Apparently Benitez gave a number of ultimatums to Broughton when they met. Before that meeting there was still a good possibility that Benitez was going to stay in the job. After the meeting there was no chance. Broughton really disliked him. If you divide out who lost the job from who got the job, then the right decision was probably arrived at in moving Benitez on. After that though is anyone’s guess as to how he was convinced that Hodgson was going to be any way capable of taking on the role.

Apparently Benitez gave a number of ultimatums to Broughton when they met. Before that meeting there was still a good possibility that Benitez was going to stay in the job. After the meeting there was no chance. Broughton really disliked him. If you divide out who lost the job from who got the job, then the right decision was probably arrived at in moving Benitez on. After that though is anyone’s guess as to how he was convinced that Hodgson was going to be any way capable of taking on the role.

Putting aside whether it was right or wrong to move Benitez on for one minute I found the timing of it to be bizarre in the extreme given the boardroom instability at the time.

Broughton and Purslow dropped a bollock in getting rid when they did, another in the choice of replacement and only managed to redeem themselves in the High Court in October.

Unfortunately we are currently paying the price for mistakes 1 and 2 but as I've said elsewhere I don't expect our current manager to last through the next three games.

After that though is anyone’s guess as to how he was convinced that Hodgson was going to be any way capable of taking on the role.

Mostly because Roy was popular with the press. In fairness to Broughton, it wasn't as if the decision swam against the tide of popular opinion. It's easy to forget that six months ago Roy was still considered to be a competent coach and nobody expected him to fuck up quite so spectacularly.

Guest ian garro
It's easy to forget that six months ago Roy was still considered to be a competent coach and nobody expected him to fuck up quite so spectacularly.

I agree with that, but also see it as the problem. He was seen as being "competent", nothing more, nothing less. He was never seen as being outstanding, innovative, hungry or any other quality which should be a prerequisite when looking for a new Liverpool manager. He was someone who had proved himself 'competent' at almost every mid-table job he'd had.

Even so, I didn't think he'd be this bad. I thought he'd be ordinary - he's outdone himself though.

Roy on Joe Cole:

1st December

“Joe is not a naturally confident character,” said Hodgson. “He suffers when things are not going his way. Everyone at the club has worked hard to make sure he does not take it too hard and take too much on himself. "

Steaua Bucharest v Liverpool: Joe Cole given confidence boost as club rallies behind midfielder - Telegraph

5th January

But Hodgson said: "The goal will do a lot for him, but he's quite confident at the moment.

"Joe is a very confident player. He always thinks he is playing well, so he doesn't have any great worries about that side of things.

Roy on Cole and away form - Liverpool FC

Roy on Joe Cole:

1st December

“Joe is not a naturally confident character,” said Hodgson. “He suffers when things are not going his way. Everyone at the club has worked hard to make sure he does not take it too hard and take too much on himself. "

Steaua Bucharest v Liverpool: Joe Cole given confidence boost as club rallies behind midfielder - Telegraph

5th January

But Hodgson said: "The goal will do a lot for him, but he's quite confident at the moment.

"Joe is a very confident player. He always thinks he is playing well, so he doesn't have any great worries about that side of things.

Christ

Roy on Joe Cole:

1st December

5th January

The man really really doesn't help himself. Full of contradictions. He's an accident waiting to happen whenever he opens his mouth.

Roy on Joe Cole:

1st December

5th January

What hope do we have when the man doesnt even know the personality of his own players?

That actually reads like someone who is seriously ill rather than just a clueless manager though.

Roy on Joe Cole:

1st December

5th January

Someone should definitely send this to the owners, he is quite clearly stark raving mad.