You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Restaurant Thread

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that moment in Trainspotting when Renton tries the smack the gang have purchased and declares oh its good... its really fucking good...

Well thats what its like eating at The Three Chimneys.

I hope that's not the sum total of your review!

I hope that's not the sum total of your review!

The sum total was just under £300 including wine and tip.

We got a great table by the window overlooking the loch as the tide was coming it. Beautiful views from outside beforehand across to the western isles.

Off to a good start when they made me an apperitif that was not on the drinks menu.

We had the 7 course meal and it was pretty close to the online version, the only real difference was the oysters came on their own instead of with beef and there was an alternative described as lamb haggis but it bore little resemblence to traditional haggis, no heart and lungs here, this was top grade meat served in the shape of a very small haggis.

Highlights of the meal were 1) Colbost skink, served with a whisky infused black pudding, and 2) Crab vol au vent, brown crab meat mouse for the base, then a layer of puff pastry with white crab meat spooned on top and a tuille of mull cheddar resting on top and a little diced apple thing on the side. Amazing flavours.

The other courses were all top notch as was the service.They were very happy to do substitutions with anything else off the a la carte menu if you dont fancy one of the courses.

I highly recommend it, we are already planning our next trip.

P.S. There were no boats involved in the reaching of this restaurant.

The best meal I've ever had was at La Bécasse in Ludlow. Two Michelin stars and you could taste them. Fucking amazing.

However, the one-starred Fraiche in my very own Oxton is almost as ace.

I've been there, I was that pissed I got lost on the way back from the loo. All my food tasted of lager.

There is a new Argentine churrascaria opening soon in Exchange Flags. Will be a nice change for my lunch buddy and me, who usually do Etsu, Chilli Pot, Chaophraya, Spice City, Olive (Press) and Shiraz. We've tried loads of other places but these are our faves.

Any of you cultured fuckers recommend anywhere else in the L1/2/3 area? I've tried most places and before someone suggests Meet, afaik they ain't opening lunchtime and ain't planning on doing so anytime soon.

12-2pm is our chow-down time.

As for reviews, well you know I love Etsu, favourite place in the area. Olive is boss but last week my friend had a steak which was blue when he asked for rare. I thought it was a gift to him really, as blue is the only way but he didn't like it. Regardless, kinda worrying that the chef did a £20 10oz steak wrong but mine was superb so, shit sucks.

Worst meal I have had in Liverpool (price range-wise) is the fuckbag above the pier head. Fucking terrible. I can root out my tripadviser review where I dished the dirt.

The sum total was just under £300 including wine and tip.

We got a great table by the window overlooking the loch as the tide was coming it. Beautiful views from outside beforehand across to the western isles.

Off to a good start when they made me an apperitif that was not on the drinks menu.

We had the 7 course meal and it was pretty close to the online version, the only real difference was the oysters came on their own instead of with beef and there was an alternative described as lamb haggis but it bore little resemblence to traditional haggis, no heart and lungs here, this was top grade meat served in the shape of a very small haggis.

Highlights of the meal were 1) Colbost skink, served with a whisky infused black pudding, and 2) Crab vol au vent, brown crab meat mouse for the base, then a layer of puff pastry with white crab meat spooned on top and a tuille of mull cheddar resting on top and a little diced apple thing on the side. Amazing flavours.

The other courses were all top notch as was the service.They were very happy to do substitutions with anything else off the a la carte menu if you dont fancy one of the courses.

I highly recommend it, we are already planning our next trip.

P.S. There were no boats involved in the reaching of this restaurant.

So say, if Campari and soda or Brandy and Dry aren't on The Drinks Menu they're happy to make it for you?

Top notch service indeed, for one's 300 quid.

Dont knock it, its almost impossible to get a decent negroni here in the UK. This one was perfect.

James Bond drinks them

Negroni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, they're nice enough.

And in the 300-quid bracket, I'd want them available and perfect, regardless of what is or isn't on the menu.

Food sounded terrific though.

I've been there' date=' I was that pissed I got lost on the way back from the loo. All my food tasted of lager.[/quote']

Which one? Must be Ludlow. No way you could get lost in Fraiche - he only does about twelve covers per service.

Ning' date=' Manchester

Cafe Mother India, Edinburgh

Australasia, Manchester

Nawaabs, Manchester (Cheap cheerful but good)[/quote']

Have talked about going to Mother India for ages but not got there yet. We did go to its parent restaurant in Glasgow a couple of months back. That was really good

• 4 weeks later...