You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yozzer

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly because most people don't have the simplistic, childish, literal interpretation of Biblical text or ignore half the stuff in there just to suit their own twisted agenda. That's what the Phelps retards do.

Being religious doesn't mean you've got to believe Noah shoved a load of animals up Pandora's box - or however the story goes. Actually, in my opinion, the way you (and others) like to make the religious into caricatures is considerably beneath a man with the clarity of thought that you're blessed with.

Etc., etc.

Dude, nearly half of the people in the US believe in that literal, simplistic version so I don't think you can accuse me of creating caricatures. If half of them believe that the earth is only 10,000 years old then I think it's fair to presume they take the bible literally and believe all the wooden boat and virgin birth daftness too.

I'm deliberately seperating those who believe in god to those who also believe the nonsensical stories are true, to avoid such accusations and cut them off at the pass.

Other people might not pour the hate into it, the way the Westboro mongs do, but they still have just as ridiculous beliefs. It's just easier to laugh at these cretins, or the Scientologists, because there aren't as many of them and laughing at views held for centuries by hundreds of millions of people is apparently unnacceptable.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Dude, nearly half of the people in the US believe in that literal, simplistic version so I don't think you can accuse me of creating caricatures. If half of them believe that the earth is only 10,000 years old then I think it's fair to presume they take the bible literally and believe all the wooden boat and virgin birth daftness too.

Half the US believes in biblical literalism? I have to call that into question, mate. Although, I accept your wider point that a far amount do - around 30% of people in the states (mainly lower states), and falling rapidly, say they do - but worldwide we're talking a tiny minority that really believe in every word in the bible. Those people are just indoctrinated. There's nothing much we can do, outside of education.

Even people that believe in creationism, again because of indoctrination, don't necessarily believe in hatred toward gays or whatever.

I'm deliberately seperating those who believe in god to those who also believe the nonsensical stories are true, to avoid such accusations and cut them off at the pass.

Sorry, I must have missed you separating the two. In which case, I take it back.

Guest ShoePiss
Half the US believes in biblical literalism? I have to call that into question, mate. Although, I accept your wider point that a far amount do - around 30% of people in the states (mainly lower states), and falling rapidly, say they do - but worldwide we're talking a tiny minority that really believe in every word in the bible. Those people are just indoctrinated. There's nothing much we can do, outside of education.

Even people that believe in creationism, again because of indoctrination, don't necessarily believe in hatred toward gays or whatever.

Sorry, I must have missed you separating the two. In which case, I take it back.

You'd be right to, unless due to some strange set of coincidences I've yet to meet just one in 10 years of living in the states. They exist obviously and certain areas will be full of them but where the major populations are? Absolute bollocks.

Pull up all the polls you want showing 50%, the reality is very different though.

You'd be right to, unless due to some strange set of coincidences I've yet to meet just one in 10 years of living in the states. They exist obviously and certain areas will be full of them but where the major populations are? Absolute bollocks.

Pull up all the polls you want showing 50%, the reality is very different though.

With all due respect, I'll go with the professional pollsters over your anecdotal evidence. There's a reason that market research is a very lucrative industry, and it isn't because it just makes it up as it goes along.

You've yet to meet a single person that takes the bible literally? A single one? That's a real statistical oddity or a lie. I've met loads over here and the UK is way behind on those sort of figures.

I'd question that minority statement too NV. Africa? South America? India? Pakistan? All hotbeds of religious belief and I doubt you'd struggle to find large percentages that take their holy books literally.

With all due respect, I'll go with the professional pollsters over your anecdotal evidence. There's a reason that market research is a very lucrative industry, and it isn't because it just makes it up as it goes along.

You've yet to meet a single person that takes the bible literally? A single one? That's a real statistical oddity or a lie. I've met loads over here and the UK is way behind on those sort of figures.

I'd question that minority statement too NV. Africa? South America? India? Pakistan? All hotbeds of religious belief and I doubt you'd struggle to find large percentages that take their holy books literally.

Stu I've lived in the US for my whole life, I would say that 50% is probably inaccurate by 5% or more, and it certainly is geographically related. For example, there aren't a lot of people that I've come in contact with in the PNW that are like that.

Guest ShoePiss

It could have happened without my knowledge granted and I don't often get into religious conversations so yes I'll accept that. With people I actually know rather than the girl working at the coffee shop it's absolutely true, not one of them believe in the bible literally. You would think if half the country believed in the bible literally I'd be coming across them all the time and some cases it would be obvious. The ones who believe in the bible literally tend not to keep it a secret from what I can gather.

Monty your general opinion of America and Americans is so ill informed. You make a fool of yourself with the read it on the internet 'knowledge' you come out with. You're embarrassing yourself with this ignorant rubbish.

I'll take real life experiences over some shitty poll any day. If half of the country believed in the bible literally it would be a very different place.

Guest ShoePiss
Stu I've lived in the US for my whole life, I would say that 50% is probably inaccurate by 5% or more, and it certainly is geographically related. For example, there aren't a lot of people that I've come in contact with in the PNW that are like that.

There's a huge difference to believing in God, going to church every week and taking the bible literally though. I'd guess it's nowhere near 40% never mind 50%.

Lads, have you considered that maybe the circles you move in are going to be less, how should I say this, cerebrally challenged?

Like I say, market researchers earn their living off their data being stratified properly and being of use to customers. They work at getting their error factors down as low as possible. If I were to concede a 10% margin of error, a massive margin that would have any company deciding not to use the market researcher in future, then I'd still, for the purpose of this point, be citing 30% of a very big country, as the figure is at about the 40% mark (hence why I say almost half).

I don't doubt it's very, very geographically related.

Guest ShoePiss
Lads, have you considered that maybe the circles you move in are going to be less, how should I say this, cerebrally challenged?

Like I say, market researchers earn their living off their data being stratified properly and being of use to customers. They work at getting their error factors down as low as possible. If I were to concede a 10% margin of error, a massive margin that would have any company deciding not to use the market researcher in future, then I'd still, for the purpose of this point, be citing 30% of a very big country, as the figure is at about the 40% mark (hence why I say almost half).

I don't doubt it's very, very geographically related.

True, the circles are hand picked for the most part. I understand that I'm not likely to draw or be drawn in by those types. My point is my experience in the largest population areas of the country. The largest populations are not in the bible belt where this is most likely to be a true %...

How was the poll put together to come up with the conclusion 'people that believe in the bible literally = almost half'?

It could have happened without my knowledge granted and I don't often get into religious conversations so yes I'll accept that. With people I actually know rather than the girl working at the coffee shop it's absolutely true, not one of them believe in the bible literally. You would think if half the country believed in the bible literally I'd be coming across them all the time and some cases it would be obvious. The ones who believe in the bible literally tend not to keep it a secret from what I can gather.

Monty your general opinion of America and Americans is so ill informed. You make a fool of yourself with the read it on the internet 'knowledge' you come out with. You're embarrassing yourself with this ignorant rubbish.

I'll take real life experiences over some shitty poll any day. If half of the country believed in the bible literally it would be a very different place.

I'm really not ill-informed mate. I'm pretty well informed. Gallup aren't some two bit organisation and this isn't a single poll. They poll year on year to study trends and getting offended, which you clearly are, about a "shitty poll" is unecessary. There's probably a reason that Obama won't come to you and ask you for your real life experiences to base his next campaing on, that's because he'll go to pollsters that excel in asking lots of people for theirs, then collating the figures.

A vast number of my favourite people on this planet are Americans, and a lot of them say the same things about their own country as I might do. Don't take the fact that I educate myself about your government and dislike a lot of what comes from that as an insult on you. And don't mistake comments based on fact as some daft generalisation about a nation of people, one that can swing from the sublime to the ridiculous; just as any other can.

Science and Nature

Fill your boots. There's plenty there from down the years, most are very clearly worded. Honestly, they don't just walk onto the street and ask random people. They stratify the samples to represent the population they are trying to get the opinion of.

Guest ShoePiss
I'm really not ill-informed mate. I'm pretty well informed. Gallup aren't some two bit organisation and this isn't a single poll. They poll year on year to study trends and getting offended, which you clearly are, about a "shitty poll" is unecessary. There's probably a reason that Obama won't some to you and ask you for your real life experiences to base his next campaing on, that's because he'll go to pollsters that excel in asking lots of people for theirs, then collating the figures.

A vast number of my favourite people on this planet are Americans, and a lot of them agree say the same things about their own country as I might do. Don't take the fact that I educate myself about your government and dislike a lot of what comes from that as an insult on you. And don't mistake comments based on fact as some daft generalisation about a nation of people, one that can swing from the sublime to the ridiculous; just as any other can.

Science and Nature

Fill your boots. There's plenty there from down the years, most are very clearly worded. Honestly, they don't just walk onto the street and ask random people. They stratify the samples to represent the population they are trying to get the opinion of.

No you think you're well informed and I'm not insulted by what you say or offended, I see ignorant rubbish from you often on this subject and decided to call it what it is. Oh and it's not my government, I'm a resident not a citizen.

So where is the poll that states almost half believe in the bible literally? I'm scanning through them all and it's full of conflicting data

Oh and from your link :-

"If a presidential candidate stated that he or she DID NOT believe in the theory of evolution, would that make you much more likely to vote for that candidate, a little more likely, not make a difference either way, would it make you a little less likely, or much less likely to vote for that candidate?"

No difference = 54%

A little more likely = 7%

Much more likely = 8%

A little less likely = 13%

Much less likely = 15%

How about this?

"Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin and development of human beings? Human beings have evolved over millions of years from other forms of life and God guided this process. Human beings have evolved over millions of years from other forms of life, but God had no part in this process. OR, God created human beings in their present form exactly the way the Bible describes it." Options rotated

Exactly As Bible Describes

53%

No you think you're well informed and I'm not insulted by what you say or offended, I see ignorant rubbish from you often on this subject and decided to call it what it is. Oh and it's not my government, I'm a resident not a citizen.

So where is the poll that states almost half believe in the bible literally? I'm scanning through them all and it's full of conflicting data

Oh and from your link :-

"If a presidential candidate stated that he or she DID NOT believe in the theory of evolution, would that make you much more likely to vote for that candidate, a little more likely, not make a difference either way, would it make you a little less likely, or much less likely to vote for that candidate?"

No difference = 54%

A little more likely = 7%

Much more likely = 8%

A little less likely = 13%

Much less likely = 15%

How does the question you quoted do anything to help your argument? As someone who believes in evolution, if I found out that a candidate for election did not I definitely would not vote for them. Nearly 70% of Americans are fine with it?

Guest ShoePiss
How about this?

"Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin and development of human beings? Human beings have evolved over millions of years from other forms of life and God guided this process. Human beings have evolved over millions of years from other forms of life, but God had no part in this process. OR, God created human beings in their present form exactly the way the Bible describes it." Options rotated

Exactly As Bible Describes

53%

Strange as I searched for 'bible' and it didn't find it. Must be case sensitive. I'll have to keep looking.

Anyway, that is regarding evolution is it not?

Strange as I searched for 'bible' and it didn't find it. Must be case sensitive. I'll have to keep looking.

Anyway, that is regarding evolution is it not?

Yeah. That's the really big one that we have the most evidence to contradict the Biblical version. And they still believe the Biblical version. I mean come on.

Guest ShoePiss
How does the question you quoted do anything to help your argument? As someone who believes in evolution, if I found out that a candidate for election did not I definitely would not vote for them. Nearly 70% of Americans are fine with it?

It doesn't help my argument, that wasn't why I posted it. It was in response to Monty saying that Obama would base his campaign from polls (obviously) rather than asking me.

53% maybe care more about the actual policies of a president?

Only 15% would be more likely to vote for someone who didn't believe in evolution.

28% would be less likely to vote for them...

Guest ShoePiss
Hmmm, conflicting data? This is probably a lost cause.

No how about you prove your statement to be true? Almost half of USA believe in the bible literally.

I can only go off first hand experience, I have traveled all along the west coast and parts of the north eastern region, a bit of the mid west and rockies too.

It doesn't help my argument, that wasn't why I posted it. It was in response to Monty saying that Obama would base his campaign from polls (obviously) rather than asking me.

Only 15% would be more likely to vote for someone who didn't believe in evolution.

Fair enough.

Although from my point of view I'd worry about his education and his mental faculties if he did not believe in evolution.

It is difficult to know why those people said "no difference" maybe some of them would have chosen another option had it been genesis rather than evolution that he didn't believe in.

And the pollsters would say: "Don't bother mentioning evolution, it's not a big vote winner".

Then he would ask how they know.

Then they would show him figures.

Guest ShoePiss
Fair enough.

Although from my point of view I'd worry about his education and his mental faculties if he did not believe in evolution.

It is difficult to know why those people said "no difference" maybe some of them would have chosen another option had it been genesis rather than evolution that he didn't believe in.

Yeah agree with that.