You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UEFA Cup Final

Faustus

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or do mainland European teams value the UEFA Cup more than British teams? Both teams there were going balls out for the win tonight and Shaktar seemed made up with the win, compare that to the attitude of the British teams in it this year and it seems it's just snobbery from the premier league teams. UEFA tarnished it by changing it from a straight knockout competition and letting champions league losers into it but it's still one of only two major european trophies.

Is it me or do mainland European teams value the UEFA Cup more than British teams? Both teams there were going balls out for the win tonight and Shaktar seemed made up with the win, compare that to the attitude of the British teams in it this year and it seems it's just snobbery from the premier league teams. UEFA tarnished it by changing it from a straight knockout competition and letting champions league losers into it but it's still one of only two major european trophies.

I don't know. I think it's more down to the british managers don't value it. Redknapp played the reserves and crashed out. O'Neil played the reserves and crashed out, as well.

City looked like they were trying to go deep in the competition but their totally inept manager blew it for them.

I don't think most fans in the UK care for it either, the attitude of club managers is definitely a factor in that. Man Utd and Arsenal are responsible for the death of the domestic cups and other piss-ant clubs like Bolton follow suit and put out half-arsed teams in the cups. And teams clamour for european places so as they can present it to their fans as progress and then fuck it off in the next season when they lose interest or struggle to do well on two fronts. Then, when they finally mount a recovery, they qualify for europe and dress it up as progress again. It's a vicious circle.

I don't think most fans in the UK care for it either, the attitude of club managers is definitely a factor in that. Man Utd and Arsenal are responsible for the death of the domestic cups and other piss-ant clubs like Bolton follow suit and put out half-arsed teams in the cups. And teams clamour for european places so as they can present it to their fans as progress and then fuck it off in the next season when they lose interest or struggle to do well on two fronts. Then, when they finally mount a recovery, they qualify for europe and dress it up as progress again. It's a vicious circle.

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on.

I don't know. I think it's more down to the british managers don't value it. Redknapp played the reserves and crashed out. O'Neil played the reserves and crashed out, as well.

City looked like they were trying to go deep in the competition but their totally inept manager blew it for them.

If we were in it I wouldnt want us putting out the likes of N'gog and losing. Its a European trophy. i know Milan went out early to Bremen but I don't they put out second string sides either.

I think British clubs value it extremely highly, as they should.

It is a great competition to win, the fans get enjoyable European aways & the managers themselves selfishly benefit.

Winning it helped Rafa get our job & Ramos £5m a year at Spurs whilst reaching the final contributed towards McClaren getting the England post.

The problem is that outside of the top 4, the teams really aren't very good.

They get found out as soon as they come up against a side who can keep the ball properly & a ref who clamps down on the alehouse stuff.

After they realised that they were going to fail, they pathetically claimed that they did not in fact give a shit.

Utter rubbish: if AV/Spurs or BS had won it, the entire British press would have been shouting from the rooftops that it proved that their manager deserved a top 4 job ahead of those pesky foreigners.

This year was childish & pathetic, like a spotty 14-year old claiming he that he didn't really want something as it was in fact shit after he had miserably failed to achieve it.

I think British clubs value it extremely highly, as they should.

It is a great competition to win, the fans get enjoyable European aways & the managers themselves selfishly benefit.

Winning it helped Rafa get our job & Ramos £5m a year at Spurs whilst reaching the final contributed towards McClaren getting the England post.

The problem is that outside of the top 4, the teams really aren't very good.

They get found out as soon as they come up against a side who can keep the ball properly & a ref who clamps down on the alehouse stuff.

After they realised that they were going to fail, they pathetically claimed that they did not in fact give a shit.

Utter rubbish: if AV/Spurs or BS had won it, the entire British press would have been shouting from the rooftops that it proved that their manager deserved a top 4 job ahead of those pesky foreigners.

This year was childish & pathetic, like a spotty 14-year old claiming he that he didn't really want something as it was in fact shit after he had miserably failed to achieve it.

Hit the nail on the head!! Pity UEFA have ruined it - what is wrong with a 2-legged knock-out competition? Sorry, I forgot, they're not making enough cash....

Twas better when there was a Champions Cup, UEFA Cup & a CWCup..