You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your mailbox is over its size limit

Elmyn Noos

Every day I get an email saying my mailbox is over its size limit (Microsoft Outlook). I've cleaned most of the stuff I don't need out, including any big files with video attachments and the like. I now have a perfectly reasonable amount of stuff in there, but still keep getting the message.

It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but I'm wondering why I keep getting this message. What gives?

We have them messages in work and they're setup from Exchange - not sure if you're working from an Exchange environment or not though. In the email itself, it should tell you how big your mailbox actually is and what the limit is, both in KB?

I recently used something called Exmerge to create pst files of my annual emails so that I just kept my current year's worth of emails in my Outlook (with the pst files when I needed them), which saved me spending hours deleting through 7 year's worth of emails and stopped me getting the same messages!

If they're pop and smtp you might wanna check in the advanced section if the checkbox to leave a copy of the messages on the server is active. If so you're probably having mails sent back to the sender because your inbox is over its limit.

In that case, each time you delete an email you make room for one more email. You've probably lost billions in inheritance from dead Nigerian relatives and don't even know it.

I've got SMTP and POP. The message I'm getting daily is this..

Your mailbox has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator.

Your mailbox size is 164513 KB.

Mailbox size limits:

You will receive a warning when your mailbox reaches 160000 KB.You may not be able to send or receive new mail until you reduce your mailbox size.

To make more space available, delete any items that you are no longer using or move them to your personal folder file (.pst).

Items in all of your mailbox folders including the Deleted Items and Sent Items folders count against your size limit.

You must empty the Deleted Items folder after deleting items or the space will not be freed.

See client Help for more information.

If they're pop and smtp you might wanna check in the advanced section if the checkbox to leave a copy of the messages on the server is active. If so you're probably having mails sent back to the sender because your inbox is over its limit.

In that case, each time you delete an email you make room for one more email. You've probably lost billions in inheritance from dead Nigerian relatives and don't even know it.

Yes there is a tick in the leave a copy of the message on the server. Do I need to uncheck that box?

Happens to me sometimes and it's because the webmail mailbox is full. Do you forward to another address at all?

Definitely uncheck that box, and if you can then go to your webmail site and clear it out. Should never happen again after that.

Ahhh I see. Will there be repercussions to unchecking the box though? I don't like unchecking boxes that look like they should have a tick in them.

by having that box checked it means when you receive email it stays on the server. When you delete i using outlook it deletes that particular email off the server. Therefore it gives you a tiny bit of space back to fit another email in. So basically your inbox is quite full and if people email you before you delete some messages you wont get them emails.

Untick the fucking box!