You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You know the way that....

Eldrich

... its only footballers houses on Merseyside that get robbed.

The partner of footballer Emile Heskey was threatened at knifepoint by robbers at the couple's home.

The house in Hale, Greater Manchester, was targeted by two men while the Wigan Athletic and England striker was at a training session last Wednesday.

The men stole jewellery before they took the keys to the footballer's BMW X5 and made their escape.

Heskey, 30, said his fiancee Chantelle Tagoe had been left "very upset and shaken" by the incident.

The forward said he and Ms Tagoe wanted to put the "ordeal" behind them.

In a statement, he said: "I am very glad and relieved to report that my partner, Chantelle, was not hurt and my children were away from the house at the time of the incident.

"Chantelle was obviously very upset and shaken by what happened and is still very, very distressed but we both just want to put the ordeal behind us and get back to normality."

He added: "The incident is being investigated by the Greater Manchester Police and we are confident they will capture the culprits to stop them doing this again to any other families.

"If anybody does have any information or think they can help in any way please contact the police immediately."

A Wigan Athletic spokesman said: "We can confirm that there was an incident at Emile Heskey's home. Thankfully no-one was hurt."

'Victims of crime'

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: "Officers discovered a woman had been threatened at knifepoint after two men broke into the address.

"The men escaped with a number of items in a stolen BMW.

"Inquiries are continuing."

The Premier League player started his career with Leicester City, before moving to Liverpool in 2000.

He went to Birmingham four years later and has been playing for Wigan since 2006.

His statement continued: "We are both very conscious that many people are victims of these kinds of crimes everyday and my thoughts are with anybody who has gone through what my family is going through at the moment.

"But as I say, the event is in the past, I would like this statement to be the end of the matter and draw a line under it and get on with our lives."

Story from BBC NEWS:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Robbery gang target Heskey's home