You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

A 1999 film about Studio 54 with Ryan Phillipe, Mike Myers & Salma Hayek. Thought it was ok, the production values were very cheap though & that Ryan Phillipe is shite. Probably worth watching just for Salma Hayek's cleavage & some disco tunes, 5/10.

I watched a bit of Kingpin before I went to my bed as well, love that film.

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

A 1999 film about Studio 54 with Ryan Phillipe, Mike Myers & Salma Hayek. Thought it was ok, the production values were very cheap though & that Ryan Phillipe is shite. Probably worth watching just for Salma Hayek's cleavage & some disco tunes, 5/10.

I watched a bit of Kingpin before I went to my bed as well, love that film.

There was a tv series called Kingpin but it was about a Mexican crime boss and it was good until it got cancelled out of the blue.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

There was a tv series called Kingpin but it was about a Mexican crime boss and it was good until it got cancelled out of the blue.

If it hasn't got Vanessa Angel in it then I'm not interested.

Related image

Aquaman - 6.5/10. Silly, nonsensical and waaaaaaaay too long, but there's some very enjoyable stuff in there and some great visuals. I mean for fucks sake, Jason Mamoa literally rides a 100ft big mad lobster thing. Fucking great stuff.

Bird Box - 2/10. The more I think about this the more infuriating it is that I wasted time watching it. SHITE.

The Favourite

Yorgos Lanthimos directed tale of an ageing and bit bonkers Queen Anne and two ladies in waiting vying for her affection. and access to political power.

Rachel Weisz is the companion in situ and Emma Stone the manipulative up and comer. Both are excellent, as is Olivia Colman as the Queen.

Slightly strange style with settings and costumes all very traditional but a few modern contrivances.  The language is similar but works well, you have to be prepared for the queen saying stuff like “I like it when she puts her tongue in my cunt”.

Anyway, plenty of fun, just slightly let down by the incongruous final shot.

7.5/10

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

The Favourite

Yorgos Lanthimos directed tale of an ageing and bit bonkers Queen Anne and two ladies in waiting vying for her affection. and access to political power.

Rachel Weisz is the companion in situ and Emma Stone the manipulative up and comer. Both are excellent, as is Olivia Colman as the Queen.

Slightly strange style with settings and costumes all very traditional but a few modern contrivances.  The language is similar but works well, you have to be prepared for the queen saying stuff like “I like it when she puts her tongue in my cunt”.

Anyway, plenty of fun, just slightly let down by the incongruous final shot.

7.5/10

The only thing that could possibly make that sound worse would be ...and it’s a musical.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Anny Road said:

The only thing that could possibly make that sound worse would be ...and it’s a musical.

I think it would actually be considerably improved by Olivia Coleman bursting into song every now and then and about 30 courtiers dancing to her singing "I like it when she puts her tongue in my cunt".

Didn't see it, only going by Jose's review.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, James Dean said:

Sicario Day of the Soldado: 8/10

I quite liked the hopelessness of it all. Probably not the best constructed movie, but "enjoyable" nonetheless.

Yeah,it was better film than the reviews it was given on here and in general,but a ridiculous start and ending were what marked it down in my book.

It's one of the few films I didn't finish, it annoyed me so much, and that was at the time I still thought Andrew Niccol will be an important filmmaker. It was just, what? How? Why?

It's actually rated pretty highly by many, which I could never understand.

11 hours ago, Anny Road said:

Lord of War.

Or whatever the fuck it is called. Shit. Even for Nicholas Cage.

I'm washing dishes in a shit restaurant and want to be an arms dealer. So off I go and buy helicopters. Fuck off.

Reasonable Cage way to kill an hour or so but not a serious film.

4.1/10

I actually enjoyed that film. One of his better ones.

Leave No Trace - as a good a film as I've seen in ages. It was really affecting and the girl who plays Tom is an incredible actor. Ben Foster is good too and the naturalistic sensibility is developed further by using what seem to be non-actors in most of the smaller roles. However, this kid is some kind of genius with a performance like that.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:25 PM, SasaS said:

I think it would actually be considerably improved by Olivia Coleman bursting into song every now and then and about 30 courtiers dancing to her singing "I like it when she puts her tongue in my cunt".

Didn't see it, only going by Jose's review.

It’s a rather witty film actually.

And for those who like that kind of thing Rachel Weisz’s corseted cleavage is basically a character in its own right, plus there is a Stone boob sighting.

Crazy Rich Asians 6/10.

Should maybe be lower, but there are some great visuals.

Now, why was this film supposed to be such a big deal when it came out? Flimsy plot, implausible opening scene (this I guess serves to position the characters as oppressed minority even though they are already ultra rich Singapore Chinese) and constant flaunting of obscene wealth as the film's main attraction. Which wouldn't be a problem if the film was any good. I don't get it, is being stupidly rich funny, or is the fact that some Chinese people are stupidly rich funny or what?

When this came out it was hailed as another triumph for diversity. Just goes to show how perverted the optics really are now. And they have the temerity  to push this advertisment for the Singapore 0.1 percent as a serious Oscar contender. If they succeed, my yellow vest is coming out.  

• Upvote 1