You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nuclear Weapons Debate

Section_31

Blair fielding questions at the moment on tonights vote to replace the Trident missile system, seems like the Conservatives are all for it, 20 Billion over the next seventeen years apparently.

I appreciate the need for a Nuclear deterant, but wonder why the old ones won't do the job, can't imagine the likes of Iran will have any kind of SDI defence system any time soon.

What do you reckon? All for it or against?

I think the current fleet are due to be lifexed in the 2020's. The way the MOD develop hardware (very, very slowly ie Typhoon) the lead development period for a sub, missile/delivery and warhead system would be years. TB is just getting the ball rolling.

is this the same deterrent that we cant use unless the Yanks say so mmmmm

Yeah, not much of an "independent deterrent" is it? I don't support the renewal of Trident in this format. It's a huge waste of money for something we can't use without the American's say-so anyway.

I could support a smaller (ie cheaper) and genuinely independent deterrent because of the leverage it buys you (Al Capone's "You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone" sticks with me here).

Can they reach Antrwerp and Brussels?

Can't someone just aim and push a button then send George an email?

Dear George,

Uh, sorry I pushed the red button and the mousey-clickey thing was on Belgium. Just in case you noticed the mushroom cloud over Belgium.

How are the twins? Laura? You don't let her drive do you? Say hi to Dad for me and thanks for the Haliburton stock tip.

Sincerly,

General Pat

PS- Hilary? I would but only if Obama gets to watch.

Are these similar to nucular weapons?

That's the one, nucular weapons.

Really tho' SD I think we receive massive funding from the septics for a lot of our military developments. It's not just about financing the warheads.

At a guess, as they are manufactured in the US (Lockheed Martin I think), the'll have some overiding software built in.

Do we not have our own capabilites to design and manufacture them ourselves, pretty much defeats the point if we need permission.

Why not scrap ours and pay the yanks a sum of money each year for protection. George and Dick's protection racket ltd.

Yeah, not much of an "independent deterrent" is it? I don't support the renewal of Trident in this format. It's a huge waste of money for something we can't use without the American's say-so anyway.

I could support a smaller (ie cheaper) and genuinely independent deterrent because of the leverage it buys you (Al Capone's "You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone" sticks with me here).

Care to elaborate?

Never understood the theory that a lack of Nuclear weapons means Johnny Foreigner will automatically invade overnight- what country with the resources to do it would be the least bit likely to give it a try? Seems symptomatic of xenophobic attitudes of a supposedly bygone era

• Upvote 1

Never understood the theory that a lack of Nuclear weapons means Johnny Foreigner will automatically invade overnight- what country with the resources to do it would be the least bit likely to give it a try? Seems symptomatic of xenophobic attitudes of a supposedly bygone era

The theory is that they won't nuke you as far as I know Rem, not that they won't invade.