You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pennant

Dirk

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafa returned from Spain yesterday afternoon so it looks like the Alves deal is off and therefore straight in for Pennant.

Or thinking positive is Alves deal is sorted Kuyt isn't going to cost what we thought so we had some spare cash and bought Pennant as well.

Rafa returned from Spain yesterday afternoon so it looks like the Alves deal is off and therefore straight in for Pennant.

Or thinking positive is Alves deal is sorted Kuyt isn't going to cost what we thought so we had some spare cash and bought Pennant as well.

Oooh you tease!

Getting all 3 of them would be ace, can't see it somehow but would love it if i was wrong

The Mirror have us as bidding £6 million but, more tellingly, a poster (he's a Brummy) on one of the satellite tv forums I frequent says that the local press in Birmingham are reporting it as all but done.

I am really happy with the players we have brought in. If we get Kuyt and Pennant I think it would be a really good summer's trading.

I'm starting to think it might be in the best interests of the team for us to sign Pennant. I really like Alves, and it's obvious that Benitez desperately wants him, but I just can't see what the balance of the side would be with him in it.

As aws says, you'd have to drop one of Sissoko, Gerrard or Alonso to accomodate him and thus the team would be weakened in my opinion. Pennant would be prepared to sit on the bench for the majority of the time though, allowing us to use the same midfield which served us so well last season - with Gonzalez strengthening the left hand side.

£6M is a far bit for a squad player, but in this instance it may make sense because of the dough it will free up for our pursuit of a striker.

I'm starting to think it might be in the best interests of the team for us to sign Pennant. I really like Alves, and it's obvious that Benitez desperately wants him, but I just can't see what the balance of the side would be with him in it.

As aws says, you'd have to drop one of Sissoko, Gerrard or Alonso to accomodate him and thus the team would be weakened in my opinion. Pennant would be prepared to sit on the bench for the majority of the time though, allowing us to use the same midfield which served us so well last season - with Gonzalez strengthening the left hand side.

£6M is a far bit for a squad player, but in this instance it may make sense because of the dough it will free up for our pursuit of a striker.

I'll go with that. Your makin alot of sence Ian :thumbup:

Not particularly excited about Pennant to be honest, £6m is alot of money for him, but as Ian says he will spend most of the time on the bench as we already have the best right sided midfielder in the league. At least there will be an end to the speculation then though.

I think this Pennant vs Alves signing is gonna decide our formation next season. If we get Alves I can see us play a lot 5-3-2/3-5-2 away form home. like this:

Pepe

Carra ----- Hyypia --------- Agger/Palletta/Riise

Alves Aurelio/speedy

Gerrard ------- Xabi -------- Sissoko

Bellamy ----- Crouch

Dont want him, would rather play gerrard out there and go for someone (anyone) else than him. I would have kept Cisse on the right over him.

I was looking forward to getting Alves but that looks like it is dead now unfortunately.

You're speaking the truth there.

Fuck.

£6m for him is a fucking joke. If we're saving a few million on Kuyt as well as fucking off Jan Djimi and Barragan then why the fuck not pay an extra 1 or 2 million for Rafa's number one target? Hate sounding like this ( a la Rash when we signed Crouchy) but i really think we're missing a trick in going for Pennant rather than Alves.

Regarding Pennant, I think 6 million is too high, I really wouldn't have wanted to go over 4 million. I wouldn't mind him, but I thought he would be cheaper. If you are having to pay 6 million for him, then you may as well pay a few million more and get Alves.

Also, was Rafa really in Spain trying to get Alves, in my paper it said he was on a family holiday?

Guest Paul Mc

Has Rafa's trip to Spain been confirmed?

The Mirror is full of shit. I wouldn't belive a word printed in it.

If we do get Pennant it will be a major disapointment, especially at that price. He isn't good enough or mentally up to it for a top side going for the title.

Alves is a far superior player and only 4 million more, so pay the money for gods sake.