You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

damn extensions

Sutty

Anyone know about housing type rights?

I have a friend whose neighbours have just got planning permission to build a 2-storey extension which will block their view/light and probably de-value their house cos they will be looking at a big wall thru the living room window.

Apparently my friend did not get asked if they were against this during the planning permission phase - they wrote a letter of objection but this got ignored. Anything they can do ?

I said I would ask on here as you lot are so knowledgeable. ;)

yes if it blocks natural light. tell him to make sure he has a copy of the letter, infact copies of everything. you can approach the local council and your local mp.

the best way would be to talk to the neighbour settle it amicably see if there is a compromise. If not you can make life very difficult for them.

yes if it blocks natural light. tell him to make sure he has a copy of the letter, infact copies of everything. you can approach the local council and your local mp.

the best way would be to talk to the neighbour settle it amicably see if there is a compromise. If not you can make life very difficult for them.

cheers. apparently not only does it block natural light but also these people's bedroom would look into my friends bedroom so a bit of the old privacy rule there too. and also these other people have one of these wooden huts with a jakuzzi and all that and a lot of "wife swap" activity goes on too :whistle: (not that it has much to do with this but worth mentioning)

Anyone know about housing type rights?

I have a friend whose neighbours have just got planning permission to build a 2-storey extension which will block their view/light and probably de-value their house cos they will be looking at a big wall thru the living room window.

Apparently my friend did not get asked if they were against this during the planning permission phase - they wrote a letter of objection but this got ignored. Anything they can do ?

I said I would ask on here as you lot are so knowledgeable. ;)

I'm involved in lots of building projects, and in Norway you have to notify neighbours directly in writing. I once was involved in an english project though, and I learned that putting up boards or announcing in the paper was enough notification. So in effect, your mate has probably been informed but not directly, and if he's not much of a newpaper-reader chances are he's missed it.....

And for appeals; if the application is turned down the applicant can appeal. If it goes through, neighbours etc. can't appeal. The reason for this is to avoid people from stalling a project simply by appealing (I think).

I successfully objected to plans for one of neighbours to build an extension. Your local council will have a website which goes through everything to do with planning permission from what grounds you can object on, how you go about doing it, and what the obligations of both parties are. For leeds it is http://www.leeds.gov.uk Take a punt and substitute your home town for the Leeds bit.

A bit late to object if they've already got planning.

Privacy is irrelevant as there is no right to privacy (or to a view).

If their house is more than 20 years old they may have a right to the existing light through their window.If this is reduced they can get damages.If it is very seriously reduced they might (unlikely though and expensive) be entitled to an injunction.