You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

18 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Argentina. Lots of 2nd and 3rd generation Bayern fans down there….

German immigrants in Argentina wouldn't make up Bayern being the 3rd biggest in football merchandise sales. There are as many German descendants in Southern Brazil as there are in Argentina. Argentina is mostly Italian. 

21 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

German immigrants in Argentina wouldn't make up Bayern being the 3rd biggest in football merchandise sales. There are as many German descendants in Southern Brazil as there are in Argentina. Argentina is mostly Italian. 

I was going for some historical satire. 

Just now, JohnnyH said:

I was going for some historical satire. 

I have read enough of your posts  to know that you were being deadly serious and are just too embarrassed to admit it.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barnesey said:

You don’t think they might employ this strategy to destabilise their title rivals? I think this is exactly what they do. 

Wasn’t many years ago they announced the signing of hummels from Dortmund before the season had ended. 

No, I mean Alonso's people would have nothing to gain by it, so the story is bullshit. I know exactly why Bayern would be putting it out there, which is why I take no notice of anything coming from Sky Germany.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dave u said:

No, I mean Alonso's people would have nothing to gain by it, so the story is bullshit. I know exactly why Bayern would be putting it out there, which is why I take no notice of anything coming from Sky Germany.

You said the same kind of stuff about the Spanish reports about Bellingham and Real. The reality of the situation is that all the noises, regardless of where they're coming from are that he isn't coming here.

• Upvote 1

Could see a young manager like Xabi not wanting to come here after Klopp, legends are impossible to follow. Whoever it is almost certainly isn't going to measure up. That's why IMO it needs to be someone with pedigree and nothing to prove. Sadly not many around. 

I've always loved Amcelotti myself, up there with the likes of Lippi as an all time great technical manager.

• Upvote 1

Klopp is a project manager who builds from the ground floor. Exactly what we needed when he was appointed. Ancelotti is a finisher who takes a good team and moves to the next level. Just what we need now. 

28 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Klopp is a project manager who builds from the ground floor. Exactly what we needed when he was appointed. Ancelotti is a finisher who takes a good team and moves to the next level. Just what we need now. 

I read that in the voice of James Richardson, and that's surely a good sign.

17 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I’d have genuine respect for Alonso if he chose to stay at Leverkusen despite all this attention from 3 massive clubs.  

And then goes to one of those clubs in a year,or less,time? There is a possibility he will have to break the team up straight away and any assault on the CL may be fucked from the start. It happens so often in modern football. It's another reason why Klopp has done such an oustanding job.

48 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

And then goes to one of those clubs in a year,or less,time? There is a possibility he will have to break the team up straight away and any assault on the CL may be fucked from the start. It happens so often in modern football. It's another reason why Klopp has done such an oustanding job.

Well yes.  I’d respect him if he stayed another year. If he then moved to one of the clubs interested in him after the 2024/25 season, then I’d think that’s ok. 

But I’d also have no issue with him moving to Liverpool this summer as that job may not come up again for a few years. I’d just have more respect for him if he was loyal to his current team for a bit longer and lead them into the CL as domestic league champions. 

55 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Bayern would just steal his players and make his job harder. If they can't pick at the manager they will eat around him. 

If that’s the reason he leaves then I definitely don’t want a quitter like that at Liverpool. 

If he’s ambitious and up for a challenge, he’ll join us.  If he wants a life of guaranteed success, he’ll join Bayern.  I hope it’s the former but either way we’ll be fine. 

18 hours ago, Bourbon said:

The wives and birds all probably have a bigger say in these things than we imagine - does she want to come back to northern England again and all that?

Klopp was frequently jokingly having a moan about the climate, Salah too.

Whichever way it goes, we have to go as elite as possible but if Bayern beat us to him, it’s a very small market and I don’t fancy the Sporting lad at all. 

De Zerbi is the front runner then, unless they decide to pay Daniel Levy whatever he asks for, for Arl heavy lemon big Ange…

Not a go at you, as De Zerbi is one of the front runners but how the fuck is De Zerbi regarded as elite? 

Has Alonso actually had any links to us or English football over the past 15 years? We may be overplaying this aspect a bit. He seems more likely to stay in Germany or go back to Spain, unless he really, really fancies what is on offer here. And the new set-up do not seem to really really fancy him either. Hardly a certainty we somehow managed to talk ourselves into.