You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Kings

Kevin D

Favourite?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

13 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Finished all 4 episodes now. Brilliant. Roberto Duran is a fucking loon but he's funny

Ive not not watched all 4 yet.

i wanted to rewatch all of the fights with the build up and controversies in real time.

I actually ended up scoring the first Duran/Leonard for Sugar Ray 7-6-2 on clean punching.

Duran put it on and bullied him, but I just edged it for Leonard on clean punching.

13 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Finished all 4 episodes now. Brilliant. Roberto Duran is a fucking loon but he's funny

I loved the sporting dynamic of the No Mas fight.

It was a physiological masterclass.

Everything that made Duran a fighting phenom was what would make him susceptible to Leonard; the idea that a renewed God of war, could be made to look silly, an idiot - to have people laugh at him.

He just couldn't accept it, let alone countenance it.

• 2 weeks later...

They made each other great

Very hard to separate them from each other.

For me:

Greatest P4P: Duran
Greatest Head to Head: Tie between Hagler and Leonard
Greatest Showman: Leonard
Greatest Skillset: Toss up between Duran, Hagler, and Leonard
Greatest Puncher: Hearns

Fighter whose career I’d want to have: Hagler.

During their primes, Duran, Hearns, and Leonard each overcame high profile losses inside of the ring where they were either soundly defeated or embarrassed. Hagler faced a different kind of adversity. He had to wait longer than any of the other kings for a shot at a world title because other middleweights avoided him. Despite taking on all comers including the other three kings, during his prime, Hagler was never soundly defeated. I think Hagler beat Leonard 7 rounds to 5, and even though Hagler took the "L", he was at worst outfoxed by Leonard. Leonard didn’t knock out Hagler like he did to Hearns, and he didn’t convince Hagler to quit like he did to Duran. Hagler was right there with Leonard with the ridiculous 118-110 card for Leonard being the difference. The final image that we have of Hagler as a fighter was one who was pissed off because he felt like he’d gotten screwed. With Hagler, we didn’t see the decline with age and skill, and attempts to recapture past glory that we witnessed with Duran, Hearns, and Leonard. As others have pointed out, Hagler said f**k you to boxing, left, and had a whole other career as an actor in Italy. Hagler left millions of dollars in boxing purses on the table, but he had nothing left to prove. We never saw Hagler as a shell of the best version of himself. In that sense, Halger was the most regal and proudest of the four kings."

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Duran is certainly the best fighter alive, today, and definitely one of the top 10 ever, if not top 5. I cannot imagine an analogue in any sport to do this to The Man, the way Leonard did. In a lot of ways, it was the blueprint for the way he outfoxed and stole the win from right out under Hagler; he wasn't the better fighter, or more skilled, but just a marvel at knowing how to exploit the pride of great men.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...